Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
I have been removing the exhaust is there an easier way?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(914rat @ Sep 2 2010, 04:40 PM) *

You bet. Just do it without removing the exhaust!

No really, you don't need to remove the exhaust to do this job. Its more tricky, but your hands do find a way, and it takes much less time.
Zach
brant
4cylinder or 6?

I never remove the exhaust on 4cylinders.
brant
windforfun
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 2 2010, 02:42 PM) *

4cylinder or 6?

I never remove the exhaust on 4cylinders.
brant

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(914rat @ Sep 2 2010, 02:40 PM) *

Nope. I dreaded the first "in car" valve adjust, but if you get her up high enough on some good jackstands, and wiggle around a lot, you will figure it out.

I find the way I am laying makes a big dif. A lot of the time, i am laying diagonally under the car, with my head practically under the trailing arm so that I can see things.

It takes time, but its nothing to be feared.
914rat
I'll try it but it sure is tight in there.BTW its a 2056 4cyl.I have a lift so getting it up in the air is no problem.
underthetire
Super easy. But then again I have a header system biggrin.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(914rat @ Sep 2 2010, 02:48 PM) *

I'll try it but it sure is tight in there.BTW its a 2056 4cyl.

Thats what I have. You do a lot of the work with one hand reaching from the front, and one from the rear.

Oh, I do remove the J-tubes from the heating system for access.
ELLIOTT
yes , its tight
76-914
Tighter than socks on a rooster but it gets easier every time.
Cap'n Krusty
Never crossed my mind. I've always done them with the exhaust system in place, both 4 and 6 cylinder versions. The big problem with pulling the HEs is fastener failure/disaster, and that's something you REALLY don't want to deal with.

The Cap'n
Steve
Have you ever done it with factory six heat exchangers? According to the manuals you have to remove the right heat exchanger. Sorry about the hijack. Just curious.
Cap'n Krusty
Yes.

The Cap'n
914rat
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2010, 04:23 PM) *

Never crossed my mind. I've always done them with the exhaust system in place, both 4 and 6 cylinder versions. The big problem with pulling the HEs is fastener failure/disaster, and that's something you REALLY don't want to deal with.

The Cap'n

I would agree but I renew the hardware if it's the least bit funky and I've become quite proficient in taking the HE's and related stuff down.It does make it easier for valve adjustments and cleaning up underneath the car but it seems to be getting anal and I don't want to break an exhaust stud.Gonna try it with the HE's in place.
VaccaRabite
You will hate it the first time. the third time it will be no big deal.

I'd be worried each time I dropped the exhaust about a stud breaking.

Zach
914rat
Just saying that jinxed somebody somewhere I'm sure.I try not to wake the 914 demons by saying things like that. happy11.gif
simonr
The hardest part for me was getting the bales off and then back on. It was recommended to use a shop rag to pull them down . Man o man did that make it easier.
windforfun
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 3 2010, 10:34 AM) *

You will hate it the first time. the third time it will be no big deal.

I'd be worried each time I dropped the exhaust about a stud breaking.

Zach

Excellent advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.