Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flux core welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I need to do some work in the hell hole and only have a flux core welder. I'll be using lincoln wire and 18 guage to make a patch and I bought a new engine shelf for that side.
IronHillRestorations
You have to chip the slag off the welds before you add more weld bead. It will be tougher than it would be with a true gas mig.
RonnieJ
Yea I know but I flux core is all I have so I guess there will be a lot of brushing and hammering dry.gif
realred914
gas shielded will be MUCH better if you can, get a gas tank and solid wire. you will like it alot!!!

make sure both sides of the metal to be weled is super clean, no paint rust or grease, clean at least an inch back form any weld, the burning paint fumes will kill the weld learn up on correct welder technique practice on scrap metal part of he same thickness to get a hang of it. I would use .023 inch wire but that is solid gas shieled wire, flux core may have to be larger to be equivilent. to thick a wire will require higher power and more chance for burn thru.

but really get a argon/Co2 tank if you can afford it, the solid wire is less money that can help defray the cost of the tank. some place will allow you to rent a tank if you dont want to buy, just rent it for a month then return if you wont be using it again.

good luck sparky!!! welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif
RonnieJ
I just found a place close by that I can rent a gas mig for $139 for a week. I believe it will be worth the clean welds over the flux core.
Mike Bellis
It will be cheaper in the long run for you to convert yours to gas. Most flux core migs can add a regulator ($100) then you rent the tank for about $30 per month. Then you don't have to rush your welds worrying about a weekly rental fee.
realred914
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Sep 6 2010, 04:11 PM) *

I just found a place close by that I can rent a gas mig for $139 for a week. I believe it will be worth the clean welds over the flux core.

agree.gif beerchug.gif

the rental MIG might be a bit better than the one you own anyway so it may make better welds and have more control. besure to specify what thickness metal you will be welding so you get supplied with the right diameter wire, tips and and rollers.

do you know the brand / model they rent?
TargaToy
With flux core I think .030" wire is the smallest you can go. It CAN be done with 18g but you have to get on and off the heat really quick. It's nerve racking. Start saving and get a nice MIG machine. I personally like my Miller 140 with Autoset. I got this after using a flux core Century for 15 years or so. I still keep the Century around for heavier stuff .

With some finesse, you can flux core sheet metal but you won't realize how frustrating it really is until you start using gas. Smoooooth.
VaccaRabite
For what its worth, I did nearly all the welding on my car with flux core, as I never got properly motivated to find a shop to sell me a gas bottle.

The welds are a little ugly, but they are strong. Was not a big deal.

Zach
draganc
I would rather upgrade your flux core welder for the rent fee. You can buy a smaller bottle at Harbor freight. I started with flux and it's a PIA on sheetmetal. Much faster and nicer welds with the shielding gas. I would never go back to flux, beside doing some work outside.
PlaysWithCars
ditto... I did the hell hole repair work on my car using a flux core machine and years later added a bottle. Wow, what a difference. I won't go back again.
Root_Werks
Already mentioned, yes, I believe .30 is the smallest flux wire size you can go.

Flux core wire burns much hotter than gas shielded wire as has been stated as well. You'll wind up punching more holes than you fill (Or it'll feel that way).

I still have and keep my little 110VAC flux core around. It's really small and in a pinch, has saved the skin of many friends when you just don't have the time or place for 220VAC or a bottle.

A 220VAC gas shielded mig is the best. Mine can weld down to 22 gauge, currently using .23 wire. Works perfect for car body stuff.

welder.gif
realred914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 7 2010, 07:48 AM) *

Already mentioned, yes, I believe .30 is the smallest flux wire size you can go.

Flux core wire burns much hotter than gas shielded wire as has been stated as well. You'll wind up punching more holes than you fill (Or it'll feel that way).

I still have and keep my little 110VAC flux core around. It's really small and in a pinch, has saved the skin of many friends when you just don't have the time or place for 220VAC or a bottle.

A 220VAC gas shielded mig is the best. Mine can weld down to 22 gauge, currently using .23 wire. Works perfect for car body stuff.

welder.gif

teh Hobart Handler 110 volt welder is really a premier 110 volt unit, it is bigger than many fo the littel 110 volt migs (about twice teh size) has a real industrail type roller mechanism, tourch end, and power supply and does great welds great control very high quality this 110 volt welder is one of the best you can get for a 110 volts unit, it has no probelm makeing great sheet metal welds. it is more pricey, but if you want the best in the 110 Volt range, this is the unit to get. some times a 220 volt is not going to cut it do to limitations on where you can find a 220 volt source. the Hobart Handler is small enough to still be portable in the trunk of a car yet has the power and control that is close to what you get with a 220 unit.

at any rate good luck in your welding lets see some of your work in photos when you get to it. welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif

Ps the Hobart Handler is made in the USA flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif not some cheapo chinese junk sheeplove.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.