Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulkhead Mounts - Pro & Cons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
The Three Main Players seem to be Rich Johnson, MadDogs, & Patrick Motorsports

I'm loyal to Rich, but would like to hear some opinions

RJ - $450-$500 - Looks Nice and the Motor Mount looks more stout than the others

Click to view attachment

MadDogs - $270 - Looks like a knock-off of Rich's, but is $200 cheaper. Looks like you can mount it lower

Click to view attachment

Patrick Motorsports $486 - different design. Their former Chrome-Moly bars had some problems with welds & cracking - are these any different

Click to view attachment

Opinions Please
Mark Henry
I'm a CSOB and I'll probably make my own, plus I have blueprints of an early RJ mount.

My buddy Mike (of Mike's 914, local shop) has installed both types and say's the PM mount is the best and simplest to install. Mike gave me a real crappy copy of an RJ mount but it's too rough for me.

I think they are both good designs, flip a coin.
scotty b
Rich's mount is much better made then Maddogs. Maddogs metal is a thinner gauge, the welds are not as nice ( flux core mig ) The price is reflective of the quality.

DO NOT get me wrong, I am NOT saying the Maddog mount is not good, I am just pointing out why the price difference is. I wouldn't be worried about running the Maddog mount.

I have not had any experience with the Patrick mount
jmill
Just from the pics the RJ mount looks beefier. Does the price include the goodies pictured? Does Maddog include them also?

carr914
QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 7 2010, 08:40 PM) *

Just from the pics the RJ mount looks beefier. Does the price include the goodies pictured? Does Maddog include them also?

The prices posted in my 1st post include all the goodies
jt914-6
I'm using the Rich Johnson mount. Am happy with it. Of course though, it was bought about 14 years ago when the other two weren't made. I did sell a "quick six" mount from Patrick before I ever used it. Sold it to a friend and it cracked on him and had it repaired....Patrick claimed that it was "abused" and didn't warranty it....I also had the four cyl. eng. bar mounts cut off.
carr914
How do you drop the motor with the Patrick Mount? Are there bolts at each end that thread into the pipe?
carr914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Sep 7 2010, 08:45 PM) *

I'm using the Rich Johnson mount. Am happy with it. Of course though, it was bought about 14 years ago when the other two weren't made. I did sell a "quick six" mount from Patrick before I ever used it. Sold it to a friend and it cracked on him and had it repaired....Patrick claimed that it was "abused" and didn't warranty it....I also had the four cyl. eng. bar mounts cut off.

I had a Patrick ChromeMoly Quick bar and never had any problems, but I read about the sad stories. I assume that is why they no longer make it. It was easy to use though. It was also why I asked about their welds & cracking on this newer system.

I have also had one of Rich Johnson's old 914s with the original design mount.
Click to view attachment
brant
The Patrick mount is much better for engine service.
I've used one for 6-7 years now and it is stout

its a wider mounting surface also.
plus it pivots (yes a bolt in each end

At the track one day, we dropped the motor 3-4 times in a single day when we lost a rocker shaft one day...
you can pull the shift linkage, CV's, and build it with enough oil line to allow it to tip. I can prep things in 10 minutes and then loosen my tranny mounts and pivot the motor down enough to pull valve covers below the chassis.... Good for valve adjustments too.

full motor drop is just as easy.
I made a craddle that fits the block so that I can pull the exhaust, CV's, wires, oil line, and then tip the back onto my craddle. I then move the jack to the front, pull the two bolts and lower the front onto the craddle. Then roll it right out.
carr914
Thanks Brant. What about height issues - I have tall PMO intakes, I'm sure CSI guys would like to know as well

T.C.
brant
I pull my carbs for full removal
but for tipping, I don't have to touch the intake side of things.
I do head bolts, valve adjustment, etc about 6 times a year and often tip.

Root_Werks
Never liked the RJ mount, and now I don't like the Maddog mount anymore either.

Maddog gave into pressure. He should have left the wiring loom system he had alone.

I've installed 3-4 of his mounts, they are just fine. I would pull the 914 wiring loom out all the way back from the tail lights, install his mount, paint etc. Then pull the wire loom back through the mount.

Try pulling the wire loom through either of those mounts, not gonna happen.

Which would mean good luck if you ever had to service your electrical loom.

Both MD and RJ mounts have so much surface area they dist the torque of even a 250hp engine just fine. T.C., the 2.5 in the blue car was 196hp at the wheels and that had an MD mount.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Too bad we have three suppliers making such a limited market part.
Goes back to what I always say, there are many many 914 parts that are needed to be manufactured. Why not spread the wealth and not duplicate what someone is already making unless it is a piece of crap or that that supplier will not sell to you???

We love Rich and Jim and old Mad dog is really trying hard. Rich had it first.
Britain Smith
My car has the RJ mount and it works great.

It is also included (with WEVO mounts) if someone wants to buy my engine and 914/6 conversion package in the classifieds.

-Britain
PeeGreen 914
I had the Patrick mount in my car and really liked it. Never needed to swing the engine down but it does give you more access to the front of the engine while in the car.
SirAndy
RJ mount for me, top quality and large surface area ...

driving.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Steve
I have a RJ mount in my car with my 3.2. Great guy, great product, great service, couldn't be happier. I also have his Boxster brake mounts front and rear. Very nice upgrade. The brakes are super quiet and have a firm pedal with my 19mm master cylinder. Couldn't be happier with his products and service. I have also used Patrick Motorsports products and have had awesome service and support from Jim Patrick. I'm just not familiar with his mount. If I was installing a 3.6 motor I would be very curious if his tilt mount would help with changing the bottom plugs. I am curious if this is a problem with the RJ mount.
rfuerst911sc
T.C. when you helped me install the 3.0 you may not have noticed that the engine mount I had was a Rich Johnson mount. I have not been exposed to the others in your question but I will say the RJ mount is a very stout unit. Rich provided excellent 911 sport mounts with the kit and I can't imagine anyone having a better engineered unit. And with the additional parts that Rich provides for the 914's I see no reason to shop elsewhere.
whatabout1
It's a good idea to use the same sport motor mounts for the gearbox also.
That way the torque twist is not absorbed by the tranny sections.

Also make sure your crossmember is not rusted ! Mine is a RJ.
carr914
For Tranny mounts I like the Wevos

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Sep 9 2010, 09:08 PM) *

Also make sure your crossmember is not rusted !

What crossmember?

You mean the Firewall?
roadster fan
I have a RJ mount in my 73 that is going to have a boxster 2.7 installed. Rich built the mount for the motor side from pictures and the stock mount and it was perfect. He suggested his regular firewall mount and made the other piece custom for me. I could not be happier with the results. For me I would not look elsewhere for a future conversion if he was still making them. Just my .02.

Jim
brp986s
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 9 2010, 11:35 PM) *

I have a RJ mount in my 73 that is going to have a boxster 2.7 installed. Rich built the mount for the motor side from pictures and the stock mount and it was perfect. He suggested his regular firewall mount and made the other piece custom for me. I could not be happier with the results. For me I would not look elsewhere for a future conversion if he was still making them. Just my .02.

Jim

Don't do it. The notion of having a modern (quasi) porsche engine may seem appealing, but that's going to pale with the fact that they are heavy and big and really not that great to begin with. Nimble handling will be out the window. It's going to take a huge effort to pull it off and you'll have to hack up your car and fill the trunks with misc. junk, making ther car useless for anything other than an occasional jaunt. Also, I know the box conversion has been discussed, but I've never heard it actually completed. But...good luck if you're really committed.
Britain Smith
Uh, the Boxster engine will not fit. It is too wide to squeeze between the frame rails.

-Britain
roadster fan
Well......I have 71 also so the 73 is the experimental car. I will post the project thread soon. I have many photos of the progress so far. The motor does fit between the suspension consoles, but there is not enough clearance for me to feel comfortable so I am modifying them. Anyway, not to hijak the thread I will take all the crititicism on my own thread here in a few days and explain the rationale.

The RJ mount is still top notch in my book.

Jim
Britain Smith
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 11 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Well......I have 71 also so the 73 is the experimental car. I will post the project thread soon. I have many photos of the progress so far. The motor does fit between the suspension consoles, but there is not enough clearance for me to feel comfortable so I am modifying them. Anyway, not to hijak the thread I will take all the crititicism on my own thread here in a few days and explain the rationale.

Jim

Ok, now I want to see this.

All I know is that the 911 engine is about 1" from the suspension bolts and the 996/986 motor is something like 2" wider.

-Britain
roadster fan
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 11 2010, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 11 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Jim

Ok, now I want to see this.

All I know is that the 911 engine is about 1" from the suspension bolts and the 996/986 motor is something like 2" wider.

-Britain

Yep 2" wider in spots. When placed correctly fore and aft you can make it fit between protrusions on the cam covers and inner suspension pickups. Too close for my liking, but I think Rich Johnson is looking into the feasability of making it work. Lots of cheap 986 motors out there now since the resale value of those cars is post-2-1117899824.gif and you can keep your 914 drivetrain all PORSCHE.

Jim
Eric_Shea
Rich had it first

Fairly certain Velious made that mount first. wink.gif

One supplier (kinda like back in the days 914 guys had one parts retailer) could lead to massive price gouging of the end consumer. wink.gif

RJ Mount is in mine. Yes, it includes the 911 "Sport" engine mounts.

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Sounds like Rich's mount is the preferred mount for a conversion.

I did notice something I wondered about with the Patrick mount...they have a Bolt-In version of it. How would that work? I'm not sure there would be enough surface area to hold in the engine with that, but I'm no expert at all.

Anyone had experience with the bolt-in version?
Maybe I should just contact Jim to find out any issues.
Mark Henry
My buddy Mike did the bolt in Patrick mount, it has a plate inside the firewall as well. he said the bolts are just as strong as welding. He's used them all and has a real /6, his opinion is the Patrick mount is the best.
MikeSpraggi
Just had the Patrick mount installed in my project track car. The ability to pivot makes it easy to work on some areas of the engine without having to remove it completely. With my luck at track events, this may come in handy.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
RJ is selling his mount for $400 on ebay.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 15 2010, 01:09 PM) *

My buddy Mike did the bolt in Patrick mount, it has a plate inside the firewall as well. he said the bolts are just as strong as welding. He's used them all and has a real /6, his opinion is the Patrick mount is the best.

Interesting, wonder if it'd be even more stout with an engman chassis stiff kit.

How hard/easy is it to do an engine drop with that mount?
Just wondering how long the bolts on the side that hold the engine to the mount are...is it like taking the t-bars out of a 911 or 356?

Thanks,
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 16 2010, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 15 2010, 01:09 PM) *

Interesting, wonder if it'd be even more stout with an engman chassis stiff kit.

How hard/easy is it to do an engine drop with that mount?
Just wondering how long the bolts on the side that hold the engine to the mount are...is it like taking the t-bars out of a 911 or 356?

Thanks,

I believe easier just because you don't have to reach up to get a wrench on the top of the mount. Mike's a long time resto guy (Mikes914 in Colbourne, Ontario) and he's been making his own "chassis stiff kit" long before Engman came on the scene. All his /6 conversions get a "kit" in his opinion it's just part of the job.
brant
the mount bolts from the side are only 6 inches long...
read my post on the first page
chayanin
Are there any more supplier for the engine mount these day? I am just about to put a 3.2L with 915 gearbox on to my 914-4 model year 1970. Your advise and recommendation would be very much appreciated.
SirAndy
QUOTE(chayanin @ Aug 2 2015, 08:19 AM) *

Are there any more supplier for the engine mount these day? I am just about to put a 3.2L with 915 gearbox on to my 914-4 model year 1970. Your advise and recommendation would be very much appreciated.

welcome.png

As far as i know Rich Johnson still sells his bulkhead mount ...
idea.gif
Nutter965
I've bought both the MadDog mount, 6 reinforcement kit and his inner stiffening kit and all I can add is its all beautifully made, and he ships really quickly to the UK !
Maltese Falcon
Welcome Chayanin to our world welcome.png
The front bulkhead mounts are discussed in detail here, probably more discussion...use the Search feature.
That's great that you will be a hot rod 914 owner in Thailand beer.gif
If you plan to drive on Sukhumvit rd., spend a few more Bhat and get a decent size front oil cooler ! ยก
Marty
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.