Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Jamb VIN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndyB
Does anyone reproduce the drivers side jamb VIN?

Thanks
carr914
It's actually called a Compliance Sticker. AA sell the sticker only
AndyB
Any idea on who could do the holes? Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Sep 8 2010, 01:53 PM) *

Any idea on who could do the holes? Thanks

There was a thread here last year where several people tried different techniques ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
tradisrad
I made one of these. AA told me that a bank may be able to punch the holes. I did not go that route.
With the help of a friend and his milling machine we made a template. We measured the factory punch marks from center to center and then we took those numbers to his mill and drilled a grid. I then took a glue needle and sharpened the tip on some sand paper and I used the hollow needle to cut/punch the holes into the sticker. It was near perfect. BUT, the sticker sucked; after a few months the top started to delaminate from the bottom of the sticker where the holes were cut.
the needle was similar to this: IPB Image
AndyB
aktion035.gif Thanks for the input.
carr914
I've done one, and won't do anymore, as it's a major pain the ass and easy to make a mistake.

There is a guy on the EarlyS Board that sells Stickers and a Bioposy Tool to do the the semi-circles

Original ( glad I had a picture)

Click to view attachment

Here is my Sticker - Not Perfect, but better than nothing - Damn flunkie at the body shop chair.gif

Click to view attachment

nsr-jamie
I need this sticker too. When the bodyshop repainted my car last year they were kind enough to remove the sticker and paint the door jambs, the car turned out nice but I am missing that sticker and would like to get a new one and need to have my numbers done right...

Does a milling machine work alright? I have no idea what the AA material looks like but could make a a CAM program to use on CNC machines at work.

Or how about a laser cutting tool....I have access to these too...
914werke
Do a search on old threads by me or Partsman (i think) still available new from Porsche/dealer network. I got one for my Resto.
Kinda spendy & supposedly slightly different from the orig.
but at least a solution
tradisrad
the mill was used to make a template (grid) and the sharpened hollow needle was used to punch the holes through the grid template and into the sticker.

a laser cutting tool may work, but will it melt the sticker?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have several guys in years past use a check canceling machine to perfectly punch our reproduction stickers. Cannot tell from the original!

Always when getting into the door jamb with paint we HAVE to remove the sticker for a perfect job
Cap'n Krusty
In California, and it may be true in other states, removing/replacing/whatever any VIN bearing ID plate or sticker on the car, even if it's your own car, even if you've owned it from new and plan to never sell it, is a serious offense. I'd sure check with the authorities in your state, or any state to which you plan to move (or in which you plan to drive) before I did this. You get a cop that doesn't like your sticker, and you could be a very miserable person ......................

The Cap'n
bandjoey
If it's a perfect sticker and the vin matches who's to know? confused24.gif
tradisrad
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 10 2010, 12:05 PM) *

In California, and it may be true in other states, removing/replacing/whatever any VIN bearing ID plate or sticker on the car, even if it's your own car, even if you've owned it from new and plan to never sell it, is a serious offense. I'd sure check with the authorities in your state, or any state to which you plan to move (or in which you plan to drive) before I did this. You get a cop that doesn't like your sticker, and you could be a very miserable person ......................

The Cap'n

Hmmm, A DMV official looked at my sticker and I had no problems. I must have had my paper work in order with the "t"s crossed.

So, if I have my car painted by Miracle and they remove the sticker to to paint my door jamb who is responsible? And what cop is going to be inspecting my door jamb sticker; if they check they look at the window tag.
914werke
(SCOFF)
When was last time you were ever stopped by a MOTL to have him compare your registration to the VIN of the vehicle?
Come on Cap'n! spare us the FUD
carr914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 10 2010, 03:05 PM) *

The Cap'n

1st of all, these Stickers are only for US cars. Jamie in Japan, you don't need it.

2nd, If you find a Cop that knows where every Number is on a 40 year old car, he is a Genius and shouldn't be on the Beat. I had a 1988 Porsche 911 that somehow in the Titling process the Numbers got screwed up. I had to go the DMV Regional office Twice. They finally figured out where the numbers were supposed to be, But they had had all the wrong numbers - the motor # they said should be in my car was a 1979 number
AndyB
So if I am to understand the Cap'n let the driver side door jamb rust through and never touch it and you will be good to go? Unfortunatley when trying to restore the drivers side door jamb which has been eatin alive by salt because we have it in abundance in Northern New York something has to give and the decal looses
jk76.914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 10 2010, 02:31 PM) *

the mill was used to make a template (grid) and the sharpened hollow needle was used to punch the holes through the grid template and into the sticker.

I'm set up to try a laser cutting tool. I created the hole pattern in Visio, and a guy in the shop duplicated it in SolidWorks. I burned a sample in plain mylar, and it came out pretty well. It needs to be scaled down a bit to be perfect, but that's trivial. I expect to get back to it and try an actual sticker in the next few weeks. Here's the image I ended up with in Visio- Click to view attachment
The sticker is a scan (.jpg) that I imported into Visio. My car is red, BTW, so I made the dots and the background red.

Once I get to it, I'll post the finished sticker. Probably in the next few weeks.
AndyB
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Sep 10 2010, 01:16 PM) *

I'm set up to try a laser cutting tool. I created the hole pattern in Visio, and a guy in the shop duplicated it in SolidWorks. I burned a sample in plain mylar, and it came out pretty well. It needs to be scaled down a bit to be perfect, but that's trivial. I expect to get back to it and try an actual sticker in the next few weeks. Here's the image I ended up with in Visio- Click to view attachment
The sticker is a scan (.jpg) that I imported into Visio. My car is red, BTW, so I made the dots and the background red.

Once I get to it, I'll post the finished sticker. Probably in the next few weeks.

Jim that looks awesome let me know when you have the finished product I would love to see it aktion035.gif
jk76.914
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Sep 10 2010, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Sep 10 2010, 01:16 PM) *

Will do. I'm traveling this week, so maybe the next week. BTW, the blank sticker is from AA.
Jim that looks awesome let me know when you have the finished product I would love to see it aktion035.gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 10 2010, 12:47 PM) *

(SCOFF)
When was last time you were ever stopped by a MOTL to have him compare your registration to the VIN of the vehicle?
Come on Cap'n! spare us the FUD

Matter of fact, I've had a yard full of Chippies with coveralls, flashlights, and cameras. That good enough for you? That's at my shop. Another place I worked in West Los Angeles (a high end Porsche only place) had cars impounded right out of the shop. Not my fault, not the other shop's fault, just a cop acting on a tip/hunch/whatever. If you have a salvage vehicle, or bring one from out of state, the CHP is supposed to locate and compare all the VINs on the vehicle, and anything less than original is gonna set off bells.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.