Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Product
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I was tired of the axle shafts hanging down on a car with the engine removed a long time ago.
I've used bungees, coat hangers, tie downs, etc. to hold them up out of the way while crawling about under the car.
Its even worse when you have to move the car and the halfshafts bang around, sometimes jamming a CV joint.
Some time ago I came up with the idea of using a 2 ft. piece of cardboard tube over the inner CVs to keep them together but the tube rolls off to one side quickly and one axle falls out.
Its only a minor irritation but with the number of cars we have at the shop which are engine-less, often needing to be pushed around from one area to another, I wanted a better solution.
So here it is:

Click to view attachment

The bracket bolts to the rear trans mounts, and the flange/tube assembly acts like an open diff. The flanges will have bolt holes for 3 different CV sizes often used on 914s.

Click to view attachment
smontanaro
Cool... And it's yellow. Will it make engine-less teeners go faster???

S
AndyB
biggrin.gif Chris I could just leave the drive train in there for you if that would make it easier?
Bruce Hinds
doesn't look like the right side will rotate... how does the car roll? idea.gif
EdwardBlume
I don't want to admit that I could have used one of these a couple years ago...
McMark
That's pretty cool! first.gif

Make sure you include a big note in the package "NOT FOR TOWING USE". wink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 8 2010, 05:30 PM) *

doesn't look like the right side will rotate... how does the car roll? idea.gif

Take a better look, the two sides move independent of each other. Chris did that as a low tech diff so you're not fighting a solid shaft when turning corners.

Good job!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 8 2010, 05:37 PM) *

LOL, Ed already brought that up. No need for a teener being towed to end up on WreckedExotics.com

doesn't look like the right side will rotate... how does the car roll?

The assembly comprises three independent sleeves. It works perfectly.
I wish I had thought of this a long time ago. We already have 2 prototypes in use and a third nearly ready for service.
Now I just have to figure out a way to make them cheap enough that a few of you guys will buy them. wink.gif

Cool... And it's yellow. Will it make engine-less teeners go faster???

I was planning to go with orange for production but since we are now doing our own powdercoating in-house I have options. smile.gif
sixnotfour
I had a car delivered with the axles flopping around on a mega motor swap weekend, so I came up with this, held up for a 40 mile tow,on two different cars.
(notfortowing) but worked fine.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1362714
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 8 2010, 04:37 PM) *

You just spoiled all of my fun! mad.gif
URY914
Chris, you've done it again....
Mr.242
I have ONE more idea and you can take it off the price of mine when I order it.

Deal?

Well, here it is.........................................

Drill two independant holes that accept hitch pins or grade 8 bolts. This will allow for the locking of the unit that doesn't allow it to rotate. Then you can break the castle nuts on the outside AFTER the motor has been removed! (the two bolts also keep it together for storage =bonus!)

It can also act as a LOCK to keep the car from rolling....

beerchug.gif

I will take a powder coated ORANGE one! first.gif

Mark
Jeff Hail

Chris
Thats a great idea. Kremer used a similar device to "transport" engineless 935's.
Funny thing though... that tooling yellow looks familiar. Did you pirate those square tubes from a pickup jig? (inside humor only Chris will understand)

Jeff
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Sep 9 2010, 12:28 AM) *

Chris
Thats a great idea. Kremer used a similar device to "transport" engineless 935's.
Funny thing though... that tooling yellow looks familiar. Did you pirate those square tubes from a pickup jig? (inside humor only Chris will understand)

Jeff

I guess great minds think alike, lol.

Heheh.
Actually Jeff, we repaired that fixture. I think we still have it here.
My fabricator had a bottle of yellow powder he was trying to finish off.

This may not be a big seller to individuals but it could be a big benefit to shops with long term projects.
A friend with an SC thought I should design one for a 911 too. The spool would be the same.

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Sep 9 2010, 12:10 AM) *

I have ONE more idea and you can take it off the price of mine when I order it.

Deal?

Well, here it is.........................................

Drill two independant holes that accept hitch pins or grade 8 bolts. This will allow for the locking of the unit that doesn't allow it to rotate. Then you can break the castle nuts on the outside AFTER the motor has been removed! (the two bolts also keep it together for storage =bonus!)

It can also act as a LOCK to keep the car from rolling....

beerchug.gif

I will take a powder coated ORANGE one! first.gif

Mark

Ooh, I don't think I want to try implementing that idea. Those nuts take too much force for the fixture to withstand.
But I'll give you the $.02 off anyway. laugh.gif
Mr.242
Wondering if this product ever came into production?

Also, what does it take to remove the shafts from the trailing arms?

If the CV joints are removed can the car still be rolled? sorry, such a FNG question. dry.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jan 3 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Wondering if this product ever came into production?

Could be any time now.

Also, what does it take to remove the shafts from the trailing arms?

You can unbolt the stub axle using a big ass wrench or reach into the hole in the back side of the trailing arm and remove the four 12 point bolts that hold the CV to the stub axle.

If the CV joints are removed can the car still be rolled?

Its not wise to move the car without stub axles bolted into the hubs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.