Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Subaru EG33 engine and WRX transaxle conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sawtooth
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 18 2010, 09:02 AM) *

Got the engine out of the car now. I needed to clean up a few odds and ends. I added the AC/compressor for the AC I'm installing. I also did a little clean up on the engine. I was getting a oil leak at the camshafts. The engine was sold to me with the owner saying it had 105K miles. I pulled the heads off and this thing looks brand new. I can't get over how nice these Subaru's are.
Added a little bling too.

Click to view attachment

Very nice engine detail. I really like this car, excellent work. How's the a/c project coming? Are you going with a stock setup or an under dash unit like this? Also, what car is the EZ30 going in?
sawtooth
dbl post
BIGKAT_83
The evaporator I'm using is a slimline underdash unit with heat and A/C . It also has a defrost where it directs air to a set of vents. I have these going to the stock 914 defrost vents.

Bob
SpecialK
You've got some serious skills my friend pray.gif

I bought a '92 SVX a couple of years ago with the intention of pulling the engine, and stuffing it in my '73 (it was "pre-beefed" for a V-8 when I bought it). I got to driving it, and absolutely loved it. Real classy interior (suede and leather), a bit heavy but rides smooth as a Caddy, PLENTY of power (squats when you mash the pedal!), and kicks ass in the snow! They're also fairly rare, at least around here....nobody knows what the hell it is. So I couldn't bring myself to trash it....bought another engine for $300 complete. Getting it rebuilt as we speak. Can't wait to hear your impressions of how it is on the street! aktion035.gif
bfrymire
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 10 2011, 03:02 PM) *

The evaporator I'm using is a slimline underdash unit with heat and A/C . It also has a defrost where it directs air to a set of vents. I have these going to the stock 914 defrost vents.

Bob

Do you have any pictures with it installed in the car? THis is similar to what I want to use.

-- brett
d914
it ran the curves at the the "tail of the Dragon".. It has plenty of tq and the top end is all kinds of fun.. I drove some during tuning.. It was not running quite right then and we were still tooling down the back roads at 80 plus with no effort.. At roughty 240/230 its right in the sweet zone for an easy drive with the added hp to have fun!!
SpecialK
QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 11 2011, 08:30 AM) *

it ran the curves at the the "tail of the Dragon".. It has plenty of tq and the top end is all kinds of fun.. I drove some during tuning.. It was not running quite right then and we were still tooling down the back roads at 80 plus with no effort.. At roughty 240/230 its right in the sweet zone for an easy drive with the added hp to have fun!!

That's what I wanted to hear! aktion035.gif If it wasn't so friggin' cold here, I'd go work on it right now! Not that it matters, but once it's "tuned", I would be interested in knowing what kind of mpg it gets. My SVX, heavy as it is, gets around 25-27 mpg (95% highway driving). I would think just cruising, a 914 with an EG33 would be in the 30's.
Brett W
Bob, bring that sucker up here and we can drive some nice roads in the area. Glad to see your getting it wrapped up.

BIGKAT_83
Driving at the TOD event I got 27mpg on 2 tanks. This was all driving in the curves. I think I'll have no trouble getting into the 30's with highway driving.
The engine runs so smooth I have to look at the tach to see if its running when I stop.

Bob
barada
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 11 2011, 10:26 AM) *

Driving at the TOD event I got 27mpg on 2 tanks. This was all driving in the curves. I think I'll have no trouble getting into the 30's with highway driving.
The engine runs so smooth I have to look at the tach to see if its running when I stop.

Bob

Thats funny. A far cry from my 1.8 where I try to turn down the radio when in the drive through line only to realize the engine is why I can not her the lady!
SpecialK
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:26 AM) *

Bob

Sweet! That does it, I'm bundling up and heading to the garage. smash.gif
Not sure if you're aware of Ecutune

http://www.ecutune.com/svx_camshafts.htm

He sell Hi-pro SVX parts.........got a new set of cams coming for the engine getting rebuilt.

Smallcar also carries EG33 stuff for Vanagon swaps....I've been comtemplating their aluminum low-pro oil pan.

http://www.smallcar.com/
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(SpecialK @ Jan 11 2011, 10:45 AM) *

Bob

He sell Hi-pro SVX parts.........got a new set of cams coming for the engine getting rebuilt.

Smallcar also carries EG33 stuff for Vanagon swaps....I've been comtemplating their aluminum low-pro oil pan.

I would not worry about the pan. In my car its no lower than the pan in my SBC conversion and I've been driving it for 20k miles without any problems. If your interested I have a extra set of outfront headers for the EG33. These give you about 2 more inches of ground clearance than the stock exhaust manifolds.

I plan to drive this out to WCR in Medford OR. this summer and may to a Turbo install after the trip.

Bob
SpecialK
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:58 AM) *

Bob

I would not worry about the pan. In my car its no lower than the pan in my SBC conversion and I've been driving it for 20k miles without any problems. If your interested I have a extra set of outfront headers for the EG33. These give you about 2 more inches of ground clearance than the stock exhaust manifolds.

I plan to drive this out to WCR in Medford OR. this summer and may to a Turbo install after the trip.

Bob

PM sent!
SpecialK
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:58 AM) *

Bob

Bob

If your route takes you "anywhere" near St. Louis, let me know your ETA, and I'll buy you a "beverage of your choice" for a peak at your set-up. beer.gif
SpecialK
[/quote] I would not worry about the pan. In my car its no lower than the pan in my SBC conversion and I've been driving it for 20k miles without any problems.

Bob
[/quote]

Must be an optical illusion. From the underside pic, it looked like you only had about 2-3 inches of ground clearance. That's probably good for the beautiful roads you have in GA (actually, the only road I was on is the highway that runs through Atlanta, on the way to FL), but MO roads are better suited to my F250 4x4. Maybe I'll wrap mine in a kevlar vest. biggrin.gif
Mylesofsmyles
WOW!!!!

This is my first post on 914World and the first thread I've read through...read beginning to end.

Nice Work!

Any more details on the 2wd conversion of the Subie transaxle?
SpecialK
QUOTE(Mylesofsmyles @ Jan 11 2011, 08:12 PM) *

WOW!!!!

This is my first post on 914World and the first thread I've read through...read beginning to end.

Nice Work!

Any more details on the 2wd conversion of the Subie transaxle?

Welcome to the forum! beerchug.gif And I second your question.
charliew
Search a little guys there is a thread on the diy on the fwd conversion, I've seen it. Really you just disassemble the center diff and use the two internal sleeve parts out of it and weld them together and then make a rear blockoff plate. There is a thread with pictures and all.
BIGKAT_83
I had planned to weld up my diff but bought a Bemar kit from a member here.
Heres a link to JPNOVAK thread on modding your transaxle.

Transaxle mods
SpecialK
Thanks for the link! beerchug.gif I think I'm opting for the Bremar kit myself (spool only.....hell, work a little OT and get the full kit). My POS welder probably would do a sufficient job, don't want to take any chances in the drivetrain.
sawtooth
Hey Bob, what gear oil are you using in your suby trans, and are you still happy with it? Lots of different opinions on nasioc, just curious what you are using.
- Dean
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jan 21 2011, 11:19 AM) *

Hey Bob, what gear oil are you using in your suby trans, and are you still happy with it? Lots of different opinions on nasioc, just curious what you are using.
- Dean

I just used 80/90W Castrol gear oil. A friend that is a Subaru tec recommend it.

Bob smile.gif
JRust
Any idea on the wieght of the EG33 complete with all it's parts? What does your car weigh with it installed? Thanks biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 21 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Any idea on the wieght of the EG33 complete with all it's parts? What does your car weigh with it installed? Thanks biggrin.gif

I think the engine is 350lbs. I also have a EZ30 engine now and it is 75lbs lighter than the EG33 and 6inches shorter.

Planning to see you at Medford this summer.

Bob
SpecialK
Probably not too far off with your 350lb. est., one site states the EG33 long block @ 255lbs. Pretty impressive internals too...7 main bearings!

Click to view attachment

475 hp....norm. asp. !

Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 21 2011, 04:38 PM) *

I think the engine is 350lbs. I also have a EZ30 engine now and it is 75lbs lighter than the EG33 and 6inches shorter.

Bob

Whats the plan with the ez30? It just replacing the eg33?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 22 2011, 12:31 AM) *

Bob

No don't plan to replace the EG33. The EZ was just a great buy.

Bob
SpecialK
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 22 2011, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 22 2011, 12:31 AM) *

Bob

No don't plan to replace the EG33. The EZ was just a great buy.

Bob

They do have one of the cooler looking intakes I've seen....kinda like a 928 junior. alien.gif
wobbletop
Bob,
Very very nice car!

What did you do for cooling? I don't see the normal cutouts in the front.

thanks!
bfrymire
Forgive me for my ignorance about the SVX motor. From what I have read, they are all automatics. Are they drilled for a pilot bearing? Or did you have to drill the crank?

-- brett
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Feb 23 2011, 09:32 PM) *

Forgive me for my ignorance about the SVX motor. From what I have read, they are all automatics. Are they drilled for a pilot bearing? Or did you have to drill the crank?

-- brett

The pilot bearing is mounted to the fhywheel on a Subaru.
Click to view attachment
bfrymire
Great! Thanks for the info. Looks like I am going the SVX route also.

-- brett

(Just checked the adapter in the garage... Didn't notice before there was a pilot bearing there! Doh.)
69dblcab
Thanks for the info.
Where did you get your flywheel?

Thanks
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(69dblcab @ Feb 25 2011, 07:09 PM) *

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

That's not my flywheel. It's just a picture of one I got off of the for sale ads on a Subaru site.

Bob driving.gif
bfrymire
QUOTE(69dblcab @ Feb 25 2011, 04:09 PM) *

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

Mine is different from Bob's. I got mine from Renegade Hybrids.

-- brett
d914
I believe Bob started with my flywheel and then changed to his or at least my hardware... The flywheel from a 2.0 will work.. remember subies are like lego's... the parts for the most part interchange.. Fly wheel from a manual 4 cyl will bolt to the 6.
charliew
I like this thread and I'm gonna bump it because this is a nice combo.
partwerks
QUOTE(andys @ Sep 9 2010, 01:52 PM) *

The MR2 shifter works out well because the cable bulkheads point to the rear; the Corolla/Celica stuff points forward though they can be turned around. Another shifter to add to the list is from an 80's-90's Mitsubishi. Whatever shifter you use, it may require translation to get the right direction of movement. I buy my cables from Control Cables, Inc. (Tuthill distributor) in SoCal. They'll make up any cable length, any end, any bulkhead all by phone and a credit card. McMaster-Carr can do it too, but it takes longer and they can't give you any technical advice.

Andys

So the MR2 shifter would already be oriented in the correct direction, where as the other, would have to be revamped?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.