Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RUST - jack points in rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
75 2.0 with some rust issues at the corners- jack doughnuts both sides see pics.
I need someone who has seen this before and knows how to take care of this- i know where the new sheet metal is available but am not an experienced welder.
if you know of someone who can be trusted to do it right with out taking my arm and leg....

Phil
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Sean at our shop.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 9 2010, 03:36 PM) *

Sean at our shop.

George,

Thanks- I will consider that. If it would help I can supply more pics and info to get a rough idea, but i know he just needs to see it.

Rescued the car 1 year ago- not running parked for a while, got it running but not up to par yet. I did some improve/repair/replace on shocks,springs etc in rear all the fuel (d-jet) hoses and lines from you guys,
Has 128,000, probably fairly accurate from records.
Just found this stuff as i was getting under the car to get a good look at it to replace the old h.e.'s(just ordered the new muffler hanger from you yesterday.)

I am afraid to take the rockers off, i know the right side has problems there as the jack connection at the rocker is rusted loose. but overall, worth fixing i think. the trunk does not have any rust, and neither does the engine bay or battery tray areas.
we are probably talking about some long repair, part of the rear floor pan and those jack points for sure.

I am 5 hours away, and would probably have to trailer it up.
how much heads up to get it scheduled to get in your shop?

Thanks

Phil
my928s4
The rear jack points are one of the easiest repairs provided that is the only part that needs replacing. Why not clean up the area with a wire brush attachment on your grinder to get a better idea of the situation?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Sep 10 2010, 11:00 AM) *

The rear jack points are one of the easiest repairs provided that is the only part that needs replacing. Why not clean up the area with a wire brush attachment on your grinder to get a better idea of the situation?

Good idea- will do , its up right now - ive been replacing the h.e., s waiting on the exhaust to arrive, could get a better idea on that. we do have a local machine shop/welding-body shop - i know one of the guys there. could do this if it's straight forward.

phil
my928s4
To give you an idea here is a pic of a new rear post welded in.

Click to view attachment

The Donut came with the new bracket.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Sep 10 2010, 12:05 PM) *

To give you an idea here is a pic of a new rear post welded in.

Click to view attachment

The Donut came with the new bracket.

Nice! it that your work? looks like some of the floor pan replaced too?
How hard was it to clean it up that good, and get a good surface to weld?

pw
my928s4
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 10 2010, 09:36 AM) *

Nice! it that your work? looks like some of the floor pan replaced too?
How hard was it to clean it up that good, and get a good surface to weld?

pw

Yep my handwork and my welding experience is limited, the rear floor plan is new but the longs are just cleaned up with the angle grinder and wire brush. The old jack post came off pretty easily once the old welds were drilled out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.