Pages: 1, 2
J P Stein
What size is the engine?
Gonna show us some pictures of the car?
jjackson
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 5 2010, 08:42 AM) *

What size is the engine?
Gonna show us some pictures of the car?

It is a 2.4L six.Car is still primer grey (growing on me) with black hood from previous car.Don't have any pictures of this car except those taken by Rupert Barrington at Nationals-Can be viewed on his site.
jt914-6
Hey Jay.... welcome.png
When you getting the "new" bumpers on your car???
and here's a pic of your car...... driving.gif

Click to view attachment
jjackson
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Dec 6 2010, 04:57 PM) *

Hey Jay.... welcome.png
When you getting the "new" bumpers on your car???
and here's a pic of your car...... driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks for posting picture JT, the "new" bumpers are here already.The car is changing years.
hencar
This is a photograph of Jay Jackson's 2.4 liter engine. The engine was built by Steve and Rick McPherson of Perfection Plus, Inc. here in Little Rock, AR

I was not able to upload the actual photograph due to size limitations. I hope this one isn't too small.

Cheers,

Henry

Click to view attachment
hencar
]Hope this one is better......arrrrggggh

[attachmentid=241988
jjackson
QUOTE(hencar @ Dec 7 2010, 03:37 PM) *

]Hope this one is better......arrrrggggh
Thanks for the picture Henry!
J beerchug.gif

[attachmentid=241988

hencar
What is amazing to me is that a 914 placed third at this national event and boy did Jay drive the wheels of that car. The car is wicked fast and Jay with the help of his sponsor Perfection Plus has dialed in the car and is perfectly matched to his driving style.

And what is even more amazing to my way of thinking is that two of the top five cars were build by by Rick and his father Steve McPherson at their shop, Perfection Plus here in Little Rock.

What a fantastic accomplishment for two relatively low budget racing programs.

Good going Jay and Rick for placing two cars in the top five at the nationals.

Henry

Click to view attachment

grantsfo
Outstanding results for new cars that arent completely sorted. Curious what kind of power does that 2.4 make? Do you think that 2.4 has enough power to make up the 2 to 3 second gap to the faster 1st and 2nd place cars (240Z and BMW)? My biggest frustration is not being close to output of that 240 Z or the BMW. Both those cars have real power - At San Diego we were treated to momentum course and my Boxster actually beat the Larson car one day. With similar results to your car against his co-driver. But then we went to divisional on wide open course and just got spanked - Toby was funny and was even commenting at how slow the Boxster accelerated - I'm changing that but it might bump me out of FP to XP but given fast FP guys arent much slower than XP national champ I'd rather go fight with 100 more HP from big displacement 3.4 liter motor.
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 13 2010, 04:48 PM) *

Outstanding results for new cars that arent completely sorted. Curious what kind of power does that 2.4 make? Do you think that 2.4 has enough power to make up the 2 to 3 second gap to the faster 1st and 2nd place cars (240Z and BMW)? My biggest frustration is not being close to output of that 240 Z or the BMW. Both those cars have real power - At San Diego we were treated to momentum course and my Boxster actually beat the Larson car one day. With similar results to your car against his co-driver. But then we went to divisional on wide open course and just got spanked - Toby was funny and was even commenting at how slow the Boxster accelerated - I'm changing that but it might bump me out of FP to XP but given fast FP guys arent much slower than XP national champ I'd rather go fight with 100 more HP from big displacement 3.4 liter motor.

We believe that seat time (and tweeking/more understanding of our range of adjustments )is at least half the time we're looking for.The 2.4 is making 280ish hp and the torque #s are impressive.Is it enough to catch autocross royalty or Toby? Don't know, but it sure is a blast driving the best 914 I ever sat in.I'm new to forums and amazed at some of the teeners out there. J
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(jjackson @ Dec 13 2010, 05:40 PM) *

I'm new to forums and amazed at some of the teeners out there. J

welcome.png
I like your attitude, for improving the nut behind the wheel vs. directing the need for speed only at improvements to the car. Nice 914!

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area there are quite a few fast 914s at the AX races. Mine is not one of them. I still have the stock 1.7 but hope to one day swap to big HP or a built 1.8 to race in the <2.0 liter classes. Until then driving.gif

Let's see some more photos beerchug.gif
grantsfo
Wow! 280 HP! Thats rocking! Who built that motor? My 2480cc twin plug only made about 210 HP. And it was all top end loaded. You certainly have class winning power for engine size.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 14 2010, 08:36 AM) *

My 2480cc twin plug only made about 210 HP. And it was all top end loaded.

Yeah, and I still need someone to teach me how to drive it!! hissyfit.gif
grantsfo
Just made plans to go into XP next year. I'm going for 330 HP 3.4 996 motor for the Boxster. Just too expensive to do a fast FP motor with 2.5 M96. Damn race cams alone for small displacement M96 would set me back a couple grand. And then custom built 2.5 would be crazy expensive. I can get into a nicely rebuilt 3.4 motor for under $10K. Think I'd rather go play with big fish with more displacement than try to forge new frontiers with high output small displacement M96 in FP. Especially when I see times that Toby and company put up in FP. His times are not that far off from XP national champ.

XP is also better attended class here in California. I still will be underdog with "only" 330 HP! I ran with 400 and 500 hp XP cars (Evos and Subi's) here in California with my FP class Boxster last year so at least with more HP I'll have a fighting chance at local events. Looks like Brit and his Subi Powered 914 is headed to XP as well. We have a fast 930 Turbo in XP now too. so looks like we will have some fast mid Porsches challenging the SCCA old guard in Both FP and XP in 2011. I love see fast prepared Porsches making strong showing in SCCA again!

Also have to say my driving style in SCCA tends to favor higher power cars. I'm a bit of a slow learner so at least with power I know how to drive fast and conservative. With lower powered car I have hard time dialing in perfect runs within 3 laps as I need to hang the car out a little more and I never can gauge speed required that quickly. My brain just cant decipher a cone course in 3 laps. Put me on hillclimb of road course and I can figure stuff out real quick. PCA events where I get lots of runs I can almost always dial things in. Maybe next year I'll get it done better in 3 but I doubt it. Still love the challenge.
grantsfo
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 14 2010, 09:03 AM) *

LOL! It took me a full season of driving that thing to finally figure it out when driving AX. You might be better served by putting some less aggressive cams in it if you are just doing AX. When I had the car I was doing more track events and that crazy top end was perfect for track but AX it took real skill to assure it wasnt bogging down out of turns. I had to drive it real loose so I could get rears spinning thats only way it would stay in power band. EIther that or shift down to first but then I was breaking too many CV's because of torque factor in first.

I think only you and Dan can appreciate what it took to drive that thing fast at an AX. Its not an easy car to drive fast with that peaky motor. Thats why I'm very impressed with that 2.4 liter FP class car making 280 HP! Dang thats a wicked motor!
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 14 2010, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 14 2010, 09:03 AM) *

LOL! It took me a full season of driving that thing to finally figure it out when driving AX. You might be better served by putting some less aggressive cams in it if you are just doing AX. When I had the car I was doing more track events and that crazy top end was perfect for track but AX it took real skill to assure it wasnt bogging down out of turns. I had to drive it real loose so I could get rears spinning thats only way it would stay in power band. EIther that or shift down to first but then I was breaking too many CV's because of torque factor in first.

I think only you and Dan can appreciate what it took to drive that thing fast at an AX. Its not an easy car to drive fast with that peaky motor. Thats why I'm very impressed with that 2.4 liter FP class car making 280 HP! Dang thats a wicked motor!

jjackson
Steve and Rick Mcpherson (Perfection Plus) built the motor.We were making 220 hp when we ran 10.5/1 compression on carbs.Now we're hitting HARD on injection.Steve is a factory trained Master Technician and his son Rick is incredible in all aspects of the business.Their 3.0L 944 is crazy fast and getting quicker.Any past or future accomplishments in AX are due to their efforts. J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.