Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 (SC) Cams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whatabout1
I think I am going to freshen my '74 2.7 over the winter and was thinking about SC cams.
The big rebuild was 12 yrs and 973 mile ago.

The case was completely done, serts, studs, mild butterfly, 930 oil mod, sheet medal snip....
RS pistons/cylinders, mild head/intake work and porting (CMW), carbs...
S ignition curve.

Looking at 911E, sprint or SC cams this time.

Anyone know the part # of SC (3.0) cams ?
Mark Henry
I have a perfect set here...but I'm too tired to go look:)
BMXerror
QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Sep 12 2010, 05:38 PM) *

The big rebuild was 12 yrs and 973 mile ago.

You've only put 973 miles on your car in 12 yrs!?! slap.gif That's a travesty!
Mark D.
pcar916
Anyone you order cams from is going to know what they are if you specify SC cams. You'll want to be certain of the journal size in the cam-towers.

Give Rich Bontempi at High Performance House or Don Weaver at EBS (Engine Builder's Supply) and either of them will guide you the rest of the way.

Rich: (650) 364-6234
Don: (800) 462-3774

If you want to reuse the old rockers then consider getting the follower-surfaces trued, especially if the cams are new or reground to another spec.

Good Luck
Justinp71
Give the guy that runs Dougherty racing cams a call. He is really good and he will re-grind your cams to what you need for under $300.

Check out the website, www.drcamshafts.com/911profiles.htm. I put in his DC-19 cams on my 3.0 and I am certainly pleased...
Cap'n Krusty
SC cams have 4 journals, earlier cams have 3. They won't even fit. You mention other choices, neither of which have anything in common with an SC camshaft. "E" cams are similar to the "Solex" cams found on early 2 liter 911s. "Sprint" cams are almost unusable in the street, with no "bottom end", making a lot of power in a high, but very narrow, portion of the RPM range. Because 911SCs used CIS fuel injection, their profile is very mild, just a little more aggressive than the stock 2.7 and 2.7 S cams. You're talking about apples, oranges, and bananas here ..................

The Cap'n

BTW, I have a set of VERY low mileage Elgin 911E cams for sale.
Mark Henry
They would fit if you use the correct cam towers, my 2.7 core has 4 journal towers on it. I don't know if they came that way or were "up-graded" by a PO. It had 3 journal cams in it.
It's mostly the budget turbo (and stock) guys who are after these cams.
whatabout1
Thank you Mr. Krusty. I had been told that SC cams were a nice upgrade to a 2.7.

Web Cam redid my rockers back at the original build. So they should be good.

The reason the car has less than is 1000 miles since adding the six is it has been in storage until last yr.
I went out and got a real job that kept me on the road over 40 weeks a yr !!!!
Now I have some time off and I want a bit more kick out of the 2.7.
Eric_Shea
I have a pair I won't be using. Might spur me to take the top end off that pig. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.