Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Painters: Prepping for Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I'm nearly ready to spray epoxy primer on my project. I'd like some suggestions on how best to remove the sanding dust. Much of the the car is down to the metal along with some filler here and there. An air hose merely got the big stuff off, but if I wipe it with a damp cloth there's still a lot on the surface. I will of course wipe down the surfaces as best as possible with wax and grease remover and tack-rag it before priming. There are many nooks and crannies that don't lend themselves well to wiping.

Two things concern me if I were to consider washing the car with water: 1. all the exposed metal will start rusting almost immediately (creating a larger rust removal problem) and 2. body filler absorbs water like a sponge so I fear it may take time (how much?) for it to properly dry out.

Any suggestions on the best process?

Thanks,

Andys
Cairo94507
I would say an air hose and tack rag. But then again I have not painted a car in 25 years.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 15 2010, 12:14 PM) *

I would say an air hose and tack rag. But then again I have not painted a car in 25 years.

Air, windex (wipe it off quick), wax and grease remover, than tack. Its only you epoxy primer layer. Your going to be laying on high build and priming and making a lot more dust. I only get really anal when I hit the final stages.
NC_Colfax
Time is the key.....

Wax and grease remover works very well with lent free cloth when you get ready for top coat. I use Scott Shop towels for the other steps
charliew
Blow it off with air, use wax and grease remover, no water especially on filler, Use metal prep on the bare metal, tac rag it off and spray. If dust is sticking to the metal you left it on too long and you will need a small brush to knock it loose or the metal had some residue on it that the dust has stuck to.
andys
Any suggestions on how to deal with dust removal in all the nooks and crannies like door jam and hinge areas or under the door sill by the longs?

Andys
strawman
For epoxy primer painting, I start by shop vacuuming the nooks/crannies, then air blow the entire area, followed by wax/grease remover using heavy-duty paper towels from my auto paint supplier, and finish up with tack rags.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.