Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spare ignition keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Proud new owner of a '73 914. Car only came with one ignition key. Have had trouble finding anyone who will make a copy. Can get blanks on ebay, but they don't do me much good if nobody can copy it. Haven't tried a porsche dealer yet, but I'm thinking they would be pretty pricey & not sure how much vintage stuff they handle. Any help would be great.
Thx
Joe Owensby
If it is for a 914, just take the new blank along with your current key to a place that cuts keys. No problem getting a copy. JoeO
underthetire
I know the old school VW shop here has the blanks and makes them, have you tried a aircooled VW shop.
SLITS
I have a cutting machine and cut them all the time. Unfortunately, I am on the other side of Amerika ....

Anybody with a machine can cut them, but the blanks are STUPIDLY expensive.

Fark Porsche!
benalishhero
Check with a local dealer first. Mine had blanks. Reasonable price too.
Mike Bellis
You need to find a real locksmith! Not Home Depot or a hardware store. It will be no problem. Just buy blanks.
Tom_T
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 16 2010, 07:56 PM) *

You need to find a real locksmith! Not Home Depot or a hardware store. It will be no problem. Just buy blanks.

agree.gif ... my local locksmith does them, as well as for my other 3 old cars.

BTW - they sell both aftermarket non-branded plastic handled keys (no "PORSCHE" on it) & the OEM Porsche style (same as for 911/912/930 of that era) at AA, PP, Pelican, etc. I don't like the metal handled generic VW/Porsche blanks cuz you can't tell the valet (red) key from the full function (black) one.

IMHO, the $5+/- each for repro blanks (red or black) or $15+/- each for genuine Porsche key blanks (red or black - IMHO it's worth the real look) is worth it to me, compared to the $1000's I've sunk & more to sink into my 914!
type47
I've got a good plan for your early enthusiasm: Go to the Hershey swap meet put on by the Cenn Penn (I think) region of PCA around the end of April every year. There is a fellow there who cuts keys for about $12 for repro red and black keys.
Cap'n Krusty
It's important that a good master be made. On an old car, that means making a key from the number on the lock. The best place to get that number is from the ignition switch or the trunk lock under the dash. If you don't have a number, then have the locksmith "read" the trunk lock. It's gonna be the least used lock in the car. Once you have a master key, make all duplicates from that, and put it away where you won't use, or lose, it. If your locks don't match, have them rekeyed so they do. Mark Britell does this, and any good locksmith can, too. There's a Porsche key guy in Philadelphia, and he's probably the best there is. I don't remember his name, but I'm sure I could find it if I have to. Scratch that, here's a link. Ain't Google wunnerful?

http://www.lockandkeyid.com/

The Cap'n
underthetire
Don't know if it's correct, but the key that I have for my ignition is a ilco VW71, a poorkey? 946 for glove box/trunk, and door is a SilcaPW1. Obviously I don't have original keys.
jeffdon
I only have the valet key for mine. Is it true that dif. between valet and regular keys is not in the cut, but in a groove in the blank? In other words, can you make a new regular key from a valet?
underthetire
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Sep 17 2010, 09:37 AM) *

I only have the valet key for mine. Is it true that dif. between valet and regular keys is not in the cut, but in a groove in the blank? In other words, can you make a new regular key from a valet?

Looking at my keys, it is in the cut. But I can not attest to what my car went through with PO's.
bandjoey
The key code should be in the back of the manual if U have it. Any true locksmith can code cut an original
Drums66
...What everybody said yellowsleep[1].gif bye1.gif
markb
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Sep 17 2010, 09:37 AM) *

Yes. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 17 2010, 09:47 AM) *

The key code should be in the back of the manual if U have it. Any true locksmith can code cut an original

I've never seen a key code printed, stamped, or otherwise written in an owners manual. The whole idea is to keep it a secret, and having it in a manual in the car kinda negates the whole plan. They were on a card attached to the keys, IIRC.

The Cap'n
914four
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2010, 11:23 AM) *

It's important that a good master be made. On an old car, that means making a key from the number on the lock. The best place to get that number is from the ignition switch or the trunk lock under the dash. If you don't have a number, then have the locksmith "read" the trunk lock. It's gonna be the least used lock in the car. Once you have a master key, make all duplicates from that, and put it away where you won't use, or lose, it. If your locks don't match, have them rekeyed so they do. Mark Britell does this, and any good locksmith can, too. There's a Porsche key guy in Philadelphia, and he's probably the best there is. I don't remember his name, but I'm sure I could find it if I have to. Scratch that, here's a link. Ain't Google wunnerful?

http://www.lockandkeyid.com/

The Cap'n

This is very good information as usual Cap'n. Thanks!

Kelvin
Drums66
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2010, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 17 2010, 09:47 AM) *

I've never seen a key code printed, stamped, or otherwise written in an owners manual. The whole idea is to keep it a secret, and having it in a manual in the car kinda negates the whole plan. They were on a card attached to the keys, IIRC.

The Cap'n

ssshhhhshhhhsssssshhhh poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.