Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater blower wont turn on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Skid
I have been trying all day today to get my heater blower to work and am having no luck. The heater lever on the center console has never been hooked up since I have owned the car, so that was my first step, locating and hooking up the correct wire to the lever. Once that was done I made sure that I had a good working relay in the correct spot on the relay board and I gave the lever a pull. All that I hear is a click telling me that the relay is working, but no fan. I have run a hot wire to the fan and know that it works. I have tried two different relay boards and nothing changes. I am sort of out of ideas and am now coming to the experts. Any ideas?
Rav914
I took my fan motor out and opened it up. Inside the motor a piece of wire wrapped around an insulator had broken off. I re-soldered it and it worked.
Porschef
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Sep 18 2010, 08:44 PM) *

I took my fan motor out and opened it up. Inside the motor a piece of wire wrapped around an insulator had broken off. I re-soldered it and it worked.

Can you tell me where the switch is for the fan motor? Is it in the tunnel?

Thanks
Skid
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Sep 18 2010, 04:44 PM) *

But did your fan not work at all until you did that? My fan works, its just not getting power. I have checked the wires going into the fan and neither one is hot, even when I pull the heater lever.
Skid
QUOTE(porscheless @ Sep 18 2010, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Sep 18 2010, 08:44 PM) *

Can you tell me where the switch is for the fan motor? Is it in the tunnel?

Thanks

Yes, the switch is located on the tunnel.
steveherman
check inside the white connector where the fan plugs in...
that is why mine didnt work.
it looked like it was plugged in.
pull on the wires slightly if they are loose it will come out...
then plug it back in.
tradisrad
Check for power on the relay board. Some year models used a jumper on the 12 pin plug at the relay board to take the power from pin 11 to pin 10. It's the green wire in this pic. Also the tunnel switch/lever needs to ground when in the full on position.
Click to view attachment
Rav914
No sorry my fan didn't work at all. I directly wired it to the battery before I did that to isolate my problem.
904svo
Check the fuse 25 Amp. I would guess thats it open or the contacts are bad
swl
If the fuel pump is stock and runnng then it is not likely the fuse. Only takes a moment to check it though. Since the blower works when hot wired best bet is to follow the harness back with a volt meter. Delivery end of the cable then pin 11 of the 14 pin connector and then pins 10/11 of the 12 pin connector.

remember to protect your points when doing extensive trouble shooting with the ignition on - remove the hot wire from the coil.
Skid
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 18 2010, 06:11 PM) *

Check for power on the relay board. Some year models used a jumper on the 12 pin plug at the relay board to take the power from pin 11 to pin 10. It's the green wire in this pic. Also the tunnel switch/lever needs to ground when in the full on position.
Click to view attachment

Ahha! That was it. The jumper was there so I just assumed that it was right, but on second inspection, I realized that it was one pin off from where it was supposed to be. The funny thing is, I had just given up and was putting everything back together when I decided to check that plug one more time. I switched the wire and BINGO, it worked just like it should. Its sad to see that the PO had drilled holes in the firewall to run wires into the engine bay for some crappy bypass switch to turn on the fan because someone had switched that one jumper wire. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
tradisrad
Excellent!
johannes
Very helpfull, I think I have the same problem. I will check that ! ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.