Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Bushing at end of side shifter to trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I found a bushing I think goes there, but when I slide it on the shift rod there was some slop in it, it was not exactly a snug fit. Is that normal ? I know there is brass one that is available also. Should I just toss it and order the brass one and where do I buy it from ?

Thanks.
Andyrew
Side shift or tail shift? Are you talking about the snap in bushing that is on the sideshift box on the trani?

The plastic bushing has a little bit of play even new, but if your is old the part is ~ $10 and worth the attempt.
rwilner
I got a brass one from patrick motorsports, I had to ream out the hole in the shift console a bit but it was worth it. Nice tight fit now.
race914
If a new shift console bushing fits loose due to wear on the console, and you are in a bind... you can 'make' some plastic shims by cutting up a plastic milk carton into strips. Use them as shims and wrap the new bushing recess until it fits tight into the oversize console opening. Hey, it works....

The more permanent solution is to upgrade to the bronze bushing which I eventually did.

Slight OT: My cup bushing on the shift rod end inside the console died at one Laguna track event. I wrapped the ball with duct tape until it fit snug inside the cup. Lasted the weekend! Not gonna waste expensive track time for a low dollar part failure!! Competition is the inspiration for innovation!

Go with the Bronze bushing if it's not an emergency.
Tom
Here is some more info.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=72473&hl=
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.