Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: temp gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
So went to start her up and after starting the gauge for temp is bouncing all over the place when I rev it. Was fine at idle. The gauge worked when I last parked it 3 days ago. It was also about 65 degrees outside coolest its been when I tried to start it.
I did search didn't see anything. Also on a phone so searching wasn't easy.
Cupomeat
Look for loose wires. As you say it is bouncing when revving the engine (likely making it move in the engine compartment) I'd start with that.

Ground at the gauge is a good one as well.

I hope that helps.
mipstien
Well bouncing isn't quite exact. Its more like going crazy. Mostly stayin hot area but just going ballistic not steady bouncing at all.
simonr
Mine did that !!! The metal bracket that holds the temp wire into the taco plate was grounding . I bent it away from the place it was grounding to and it is fine now. it is most definatly a grounding loose wire issue . Good luck in your search . I would start with the sending unit
mipstien
taco? lost me at taco
type47
remote temp sensor sometimes called a "taco plate" or taco sender" or just plain "taco"!
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Sep 20 2010, 03:29 PM) *

taco? lost me at taco

It has a tendency to bend like a taco.
914Sixer
Most of the wires that run from the sender to the plug under the battery tray are BRITTLE, GOING OPEN OR GROUNDING OUT. Replace the whole wire from end to end. Use heavier gauge wire and make sure it has some sort of extra shield(ie heat shrink, heat resistant tubing) over the wire itself.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 20 2010, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mipstien @ Sep 20 2010, 03:29 PM) *

taco? lost me at taco

It has a tendency to bend like a taco.

I love a nice taco
mipstien
if i had to drive my car to get to a lift would that be any issue? its never over heated before.
realred914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Sep 21 2010, 06:25 AM) *

if i had to drive my car to get to a lift would that be any issue? its never over heated before.

the gauge go crazy as soon as you start it cold? if so then you know the car cant be warm, much less over heating. so you should bne ok, not a real reading. yes the gauge can peg out when shorted. maybe a intermittant short in the wire.

if you can comfortably hold the dip stick in your hand with out getting burned, then you can assum e the oil temp is not way too hot. if the dip stick gets so hot as you can not hold it for but a brief seconds then you may really be over heating.
mipstien
O no its not ever gotten that hot even when 100+ outside and on a long drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.