Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funny running?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
After a long period of sitting, I am now trying to get some use out of my 914[that I drove back from FL, last year!] I have a miss that goes away when I floor the engine, but comes back at steady RPMS. It is also there at high steady RPMs[surging] popping out the exhaust. I have replaced the plugs and wires, cleaned the inside of the cap and shined up the rotor surfaces. STILL I have this miss and missfires!!!! Can someone head me in the right direction??? PS. 1500 miles back from FL without a prob, driven hard!

Bob
VaccaRabite
carbs or FI?
Razorbobsr
This is my first time useing this 914 system, hard to nav! Bob
76-914
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 20 2010, 06:13 PM) *

welcome.png Actually, it's the second time but your getting better. lol-2.gif You'll get your answers here. More info, pls.
VaccaRabite
According to a PM I got from Bob, its a carbed 2L with 44s.

I suggested that he might be overjetted. However, I am assuming that he is running dual 44s, and not a single 44, which is a possibility.

I had a very similar problem. I sized my main jets down one level and it went away.

Zach
Tom_T
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 20 2010, 04:01 PM) *

After a long period of sitting, I am now trying to get some use out of my 914[that I drove back from FL, last year!] I have a miss that goes away when I floor the engine, but comes back at steady RPMS. It is also there at high steady RPMs[surging] popping out the exhaust. I have replaced the plugs and wires, cleaned the inside of the cap and shined up the rotor surfaces. STILL I have this miss and missfires!!!! Can someone head me in the right direction??? PS. 1500 miles back from FL without a prob, driven hard!

Bob

Just wanted to say welcome.png

but some of the carbed guys can help you, since I'm an OE D-jet guy!
NC_Colfax
I have to same problem 2.0 Dual 44's popping

I will be watching this thread close
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 21 2010, 12:50 PM) *

According to a PM I got from Bob, its a carbed 2L with 44s.

I suggested that he might be overjetted. However, I am assuming that he is running dual 44s, and not a single 44, which is a possibility.

I had a very similar problem. I sized my main jets down one level and it went away.

Zach

Duel 44s. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 21 2010, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 20 2010, 06:13 PM) *

welcome.png Actually, it's the second time but your getting better. lol-2.gif You'll get your answers here. More info, pls.

OKKKKK What kind of info?? Duel 44 IDFS, clean plugs. 1500 HY miles on this set up. Bob
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Sep 22 2010, 06:43 PM) *

Popping through the carbs indicates a lean condition. If only one pair of carbs is doing it, it also indicates that you are not properly balanced.

If both are doing it, you are probably jetted too lean or you need to rebuild your carbs. Does your engine ever ping when you put your foot in it?

Zach
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 26 2010, 09:50 AM) *

Popping through the carbs indicates a lean condition. If only one pair of carbs is doing it, it also indicates that you are not properly balanced.

If both are doing it, you are probably jetted too lean or you need to rebuild your carbs. Does your engine ever ping when you put your foot in it?

Zach
The plugs dont have that whiteish lean look. Carbs are syn-ed with A/A syning tool. No to pinging with foot in it.
flat4tom
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 26 2010, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 26 2010, 09:50 AM) *

Zach
The plugs dont have that whiteish lean look. Carbs are syn-ed with A/A syning tool. No to pinging with foot in it.

Could also be a plugged idle jet. I'm dealing with that now on one of my VW's.

Just my .02.

Tom
VaccaRabite
In Bobs case he had way too much fuel pressure going to his carbs and was probably overpowering the inlet valves.

NC_Colfax may have a plugged yet. That would be one of the things to look for.
Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.