Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 wont start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dvtorr
So the other day I was driving my wonderfull 914 and the motor shuts of. I pull over and try to start the car and it gives me a clunk noise. Not sure if its the starter or something else. When we try to push start it we go through the process of pushing it and droping the clutch and the back wheels freeze up and the car doesn't start. Any ideass? Pleaswe help!!!

Thanks, diego.
trent1542
QUOTE(dvtorr @ Sep 20 2010, 09:51 PM) *

So the other day I was driving my wonderfull 914 and the motor shuts of. I pull over and try to start the car and it gives me a clunk noise. Not sure if its the starter or something else. When we try to push start it we go through the process of pushing it and droping the clutch and the back wheels freeze up and the car doesn't start. Any ideass? Pleaswe help!!!

Thanks, diego.

year? 1.7, 1.8, 2.0? /6? carbs or FI? rebuilt engine/trans?, when?
are you out of gas? lol

although odds are, I will most likely not know the problem with your 914, but answering these questions will get your car running sooner and better with the help of the people on this wonderful website and it's forums biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
If it wont roll/start in gear or turn over when hitting the starter in neutral it sounds like it is not good! My guess is it ran low on oil or something like that!
dvtorr
Its a 73, 1.7, carbs
trent1542
how long since last oil change/fill? does the fuel pump work? make sure your carbs are still tuned right too!
dvtorr
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 20 2010, 09:46 PM) *

how long since last oil change/fill? does the fuel pump work? make sure your carbs are still tuned right too!

No idea when the last change fill. Oil looked dirty and on low. I'm guessing something seized up sad.gif. Keep post coming guys. And how much of a project am I gettig into by rebuilding the motor and so on.

Thanks! Diego
trent1542
QUOTE(dvtorr @ Sep 20 2010, 10:56 PM) *

No idea when the last change fill. Oil looked dirty and on low. I'm guessing something seized up sad.gif. Keep post coming guys. And how much of a project am I gettig into by rebuilding the motor and so on.

Thanks! Diego

You should be fine if your engine was rebuilt within the last 10 years or so. Change the oil and try to start her up! If that doesn't work, it is probably something internally, but I really wouldn't have a clue. If its the fuel pump (I doubt it) then you can post a thread in the classifieds for a WTB 1973 1.7L fuel pump. Somebody here ought to have one working wink.gif
dvtorr
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 20 2010, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dvtorr @ Sep 20 2010, 10:56 PM) *

Thanks! Diego

You should be fine if your engine was rebuilt within the last 10 years or so. Change the oil and try to start her up! If that doesn't work, it is probably something internally, but I really wouldn't have a clue. If its the fuel pump (I doubt it) then you can post a thread in the classifieds for a WTB 1973 1.7L fuel pump. Somebody here ought to have one working wink.gif

So if the motor is already seized what would changing the oil do? I ask cause I'm a noob tongue.gif. Now I don't think its the fuel pump cause I hear that bad boy run when I turn the ignition. Thanks man! Expecting a reply!

Diego.
benalishhero
Fuel leaking down the carb hydro-locking a cylinder? Did you have a bad raw gas smell when it happened?
dvtorr
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Sep 21 2010, 03:27 AM) *

Fuel leaking down the carb hydro-locking a cylinder? Did you have a bad raw gas smell when it happened?

Kind of but there was a semi strong gas smell and super strong.
Jeffs9146

Kind of but there was a semi strong gas smell and super strong.

If that is it you can check it very easy by taking the plugs out, put the car in gear and try to roll it! If the motor turns then it could have Hydro-locked but it sounds like a bigger problem because of your first statement:
When we try to push start it we go through the process of pushing it and droping the clutch and the back wheels freeze up and the car doesn't start.

VaccaRabite
Pull the spark plugs.
Put the car in 5th gear.
Lift 1 rear wheel in the air, while the other is still on the ground.
Make sure the parking brakes are OFF and the front wheels are chalked so the car won't start rolling.

Turn the wheel that is in the air. it will be kinda hard to turn, but not overly hard to turn. If you can't turn it, the engine has seized. Time to pull it and see what happened.

Zach
dvtorr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 21 2010, 06:52 AM) *

Pull the spark plugs.
Put the car in 5th gear.
Lift 1 rear wheel in the air, while the other is still on the ground.
Make sure the parking brakes are OFF and the front wheels are chalked so the car won't start rolling.

Turn the wheel that is in the air. it will be kinda hard to turn, but not overly hard to turn. If you can't turn it, the engine has seized. Time to pull it and see what happened.

Zach

What's the worst case scenario with a seized engine? Hopefully fixable?

Will try that man.

Thanks, Diego.

VaccaRabite
Everything is fixable. If the engine is seized, its going to mean a rebuild, probably including the bottom end which will require splitting the case. If the seize was oil related you are going to want to rebuild the bottom end. if the seize is something in the top end breaking you should also rebuild the bottom end, but that will be your roll of the dice to call.

No one will know what is going to be needed until the engine is down, out, and taken down to a short block (heads and cylinders removed).

Zach
dvtorr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 21 2010, 10:00 AM) *

Everything is fixable. If the engine is seized, its going to mean a rebuild, probably including the bottom end which will require splitting the case. If the seize was oil related you are going to want to rebuild the bottom end. if the seize is something in the top end breaking you should also rebuild the bottom end, but that will be your roll of the dice to call.

No one will know what is going to be needed until the engine is down, out, and taken down to a short block (heads and cylinders removed).

Zach

Is it possible to give me an $$ estimate on the rebuild? Like any parts and stuff? Have the tools in hand and have 2 people ready to help me.
Jeffs9146
Is it possible to give me an $$ estimate on the rebuild? Like any parts and stuff? Have the tools in hand and have 2 people ready to help me.

You wont have a clue until you open it up and see whats wrong! It could need a crank or a block, new bearings, pistons even a complete valve job and/or heads!

Open it up and take a look!
steveherman
this is not my motor

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111099

but if you have any internal engine probs you will likely be miles ahead to buy this motor

or there is another motor in the classified for much more but it is a dang nice motor.
underthetire
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 21 2010, 04:01 PM) *

You wont have a clue until you open it up and see whats wrong! It could need a crank or a block, new bearings, pistons even a complete valve job and/or heads!

agree.gif
could be 2K, could be 15K. Figure out what happened first. Usually something simple, hope for the best and deal with the worst if it comes to it.
dvtorr
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 21 2010, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 21 2010, 04:01 PM) *

agree.gif
could be 2K, could be 15K. Figure out what happened first. Usually something simple, hope for the best and deal with the worst if it comes to it.

Pooop. Well a push rod went thru we think... Whattt to do? Should I just get another motor? I kinda wanna keep the same one. Let me know guys!

Thanks, Diego
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.