Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cvlinder install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
majkos
Well!?

My hands hurts from trying to get the effin lines in(From resv.)

Anybody have a trick they can share?
Even bird board says it's a b*tch
dlee6204
I don't know how people can do it in the car. I took out the reservoir lines and installed them in the MC out of car. It was still a pain to do.
majkos
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Sep 22 2010, 07:21 AM) *

I don't know how people can do it in the car. I took out the reservoir lines and installed them in the MC out of car. It was still a pain to do.

I was wondering if that's doable
but getting the master cyn thru the pedal hole with lines attach seems PIA.

Thought I asked first before trying somthing new
Thanks!
McMark
PITA... sad.gif
majkos
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 22 2010, 07:30 AM) *

PITA... sad.gif

Sum B*tch! Really?

For once it's NOT all good
need some med smoke.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(majkos @ Sep 22 2010, 08:16 AM) *

Well!?

My hands hurts from trying to get the effin lines in(From resv.)

Anybody have a trick they can share?
Even bird board says it's a b*tch

No trick ... just brute force ....

If you got the Euro Parts aftermarket 19 mm MC, take the rubbers (or get new ones) and washer out of the ATE MC and use them in the Euro. Euros' rubbers don't allow for a "snap in" feeling and I never got them to work.
majkos
Well isn't this lovely

One of the rubber tube/seal ripped

can I get a replacement seal w/o the whole rebuild kit?
and at FLAPS?
or what VW part # is it? biggrin.gif
FourBlades

Use a little brake fluid to lube it if you haven't tried that already.

John
john rogers
Many years ago when I had to do this the first time I bought a pair of very long needle nose bent angle pliers from Harbor Freight, actually a set of two with a straight one too. They are about 12 inches long and have nice orange handles and the bent end on the one pair grasps the hard line nicely so you can wiggle it into the seal, after lubing it of course.
rick 918-S
Geeeze, I have to do this job on the Ravenna car this weekend. dry.gif Brake fluid or caliper rebuild grease on the plastic lines.

Kev, I received a call from UPS. The trailer hitch was returned. The counter person entered 400 instead of 1400... screwy.gif So, I now have a hitch if anyone needs one.
SirAndy
If you un-clamp the reservoir, you can pull down the lines down quite a bit which makes it somewhat easier to attach them before you mount the MC to the body.

Still a PITA ...
smash.gif Andy
bmtrnavsky
When Jon and I did this on my car I remember using bent needle nose and brute force. It was NOT easy.
FourBlades
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 22 2010, 10:28 AM) *

If you un-clamp the reservoir, you can pull down the lines down quite a bit which makes it somewhat easier to attach them before you mount the MC to the body.

Still a PITA ...
smash.gif Andy

agree.gif

I lowered the MC and grasped the brass end of the brake line with small vice
grips locked on to the line. Then you kind of wiggle it and push it in at the same
time. Takes a few minutes to get it seated all the way and it is easy to think you
are done when you are not seated yet.

Wait a minute, wiggle it and push... lol-2.gif

John
VaccaRabite
Its MUCH easier if you can get a helper to push the line from above when you get it lined up on the rubber nipple. But even so, NOT a fun job on these cars.

Zach
qa1142

this is the kind of job I hire someone else to do lol-2.gif
SLITS
I use REAL German channel locks on the metal to help push it in. Makes the job so much easier av-943.gif
majkos
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Sep 22 2010, 03:37 PM) *

this is the kind of job I hire someone else to do lol-2.gif

av-943.gif yourself!
most 914 owners can't pay someone to do ('cuse me )bull$hit work

what I'm bit*hing about ?
I'm being paid for it! hissyfit.gif

just wish there's a easier way.........

I'm going to make a tool. rolleyes.gif
Brando
You just have to wake up in the morning.

It takes way more force than it should to pop those lines in. It's best to put some brake fluid on the seals and tips of the lines first to lube 'em up, grab with some angled pliers and PULL them down into the MC.
majkos
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 22 2010, 04:47 PM) *

You just have to wake up in the morning.

It takes way more force than it should to pop those lines in. It's best to put some brake fluid on the seals and tips of the lines first to lube 'em up, grab with some angled pliers and PULL them down into the MC.

Man up!

Yup

kinda funny, you just told me how to do it,
the mc is secured then pull down the hose.
I've been trying to push mc onto the dang lines held by vise gripe
(not crushings the line! Jeeze)

Thanks for the tip! aktion035.gif
mihai914
I used FI hose clamps to compress the lubed grommets prior to popping them in.

You have to get things kind of aligned and push straight on the line so the grommet slips from the clamp into the master.

If you miss, you just undo the clamp and restart.

It's the same principle as a piston ring compressor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.