Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Seat restraints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
I got dinged on my seatbelt for AX. The good news is that we do several annual high speed events, and I do want to have a 5 or 6 point in the car.

Anyone know how to put in a Simpson 5 point into a 914?

How do I do the top belts and the submarine belt bolt mounts?

Sizes? Bolt or weld?

Any and all help appreciated.

In a black car, should I do black for looks, red so they can see them?

Silver might be nice. Blue, well, I don't think so.

Muchas in advance!

John
driving.gif
smash.gif
sawzall-smiley.gif
welder.gif
Mike Bellis
I run dual seatbelts. Stock retractable and a 5 point. 5 point is bolted through the fire wall and to the floor in front of the seat. Also use the stock lower rear mounting holes. I switch between belts as my driving or road conditions change.
DanT
or you can use a bolt in harness bar for the shoulder belts and eyes screwed into the stock lap belt locations so you can clip in and out the lap belt portion of the harnesses.
also the 6pt can also be clipped into the lap belt location and then you sit on the two straps and bring them up to the lap belt...
this method does not require any additional holes to be drilled into your 914....just using stock belt locations.
race914
There is a harness bar that bolts to the existing shoulder belt locations.

Here's a link to one that is available. Not a good pic since it's a 911 but gives you the idea. Price seems kinda crazy too since it is basically a steel tube with plates on each end.

http://www.automotion.com/weltmeister-harn...or-porsche.html

Food for thought anyway
campbellcj
I would strongly suggest reading the rules for the sanctioning bodies and types of events you will be doing. Specifically, a minimal setup that will pass tech for a local autocross or DE may not pass for regional/national events, and certainly will not pass for competitive track events. Of course passing tech is really a secondary goal - the primary one is keeping you safe. smile.gif
avidfanjpl
Thanks all for the comments!

I know the local and regional rules now. I looked them up.

May be able to get approved for the bar, but if not, then my bodywork guy knows how to put eyes into the car and do the 6 point. I am looking at 3 manufacturers.

Please recommend for me!

Simpson is all I have looked at.

John
ellisor3
Here is another bar. Not sure if it meets specs but much cheaper.

Seatbelt bar
avidfanjpl
Wow!

Thanks for all the stuff from all of you!

I think I like the bars, but have to find out what PCA and PCA OCR will accept.

Also, that book on mounting from Sean is COOL!

The same company was also recommended to me by the Tech Mgr at PCA OCR.

Still can't spell it without looking! S-C-H-R-O-T-H

THANKS ALL!

John
Andyrew
I highly recomend using a bar in any case as it will prevent the harness (when mounted to the firewall) from compressing your spine. I have mine mounted to the firewall and up and over the bar.
ChrisFoley
I don't like the concept of harness bars in general. They often aren't sturdy enough for the application IMO.
Keep in mind that stock seats and 5pt harnesses are mutually incompatible in all the rules I've read for on-track driving. PCA DE rules require a seat built specifically for harnesses when they're installed. Modding a stock seat to comply with the shoulder harness requirements is not acceptable.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 23 2010, 10:15 AM) *

I highly recomend using a bar in any case as it will prevent the harness (when mounted to the firewall) from compressing your spine. I have mine mounted to the firewall and up and over the bar.

confused24.gif
bmtrnavsky
Not to Hijack your thread, but still on topic...

I need some new seatbelts and was thinking of installing something like this in my car with stock seats. Will this pass tech at the local PCA autocross? DO you guys think it is safe for commuting etc? I don't want to dump $300 into something I cant use or isn't safe.
6freak
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Sep 22 2010, 11:26 AM) *

I got dinged on my seatbelt for AX. The good news is that we do several annual high speed events, and I do want to have a 5 or 6 point in the car.

Anyone know how to put in a Simpson 5 point into a 914?

How do I do the top belts and the submarine belt bolt mounts?

Sizes? Bolt or weld?

Any and all help appreciated.

In a black car, should I do black for looks, red so they can see them?

Silver might be nice. Blue, well, I don't think so.

Muchas in advance!

John
driving.gif
smash.gif
sawzall-smiley.gif
welder.gif

what did they ding ya for ?was it operational?......and remember what you do to the drivers side you must do to the passanger side.that rule just introduced maybe 2 years ago .....those are PCA rules ....good luck
bmtrnavsky
icon_bump.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 23 2010, 02:20 PM) *

I don't want to dump $300 into something I cant use or isn't safe.

If you use a stock type seat that has no hole for the shoulder harnesses it isn't safe. If you have an appropriate seat I wouldn't be afraid to use those in a street/autocross car.
I have 5 point harnesses in my street 914 and I use them as a 3 point harness with a stock seat. If I take the car to the track, I'll have to install race seats to use the 5 points.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 23 2010, 10:30 AM) *

what did they ding ya for ?was it operational?......and remember what you do to the drivers side you must do to the passanger side.that rule just introduced maybe 2 years ago .....those are PCA rules ....good luck

I have the same question. I have yet to see an operational stock seatbelt not pass tech at any SCCA event I have attened.

campbellcj
Are you thinking about a cage or rollbar? Do you still have the stock backpad and plan to keep it? Will you be doing stock (or stock-improved/prepared) types of autox or DE events, or going farther into mods and maybe trying TT or cup race stuff? Those are other factors in figuring out the best way to set up the car in terms of safety gear. It sucks to have to redo stuff later if you can avoid it.
qa1142
So I have GTS LeMans seats and a (to be installed) Weltmeister harness bar

I would like to keep back pad and not drill firewall

This is AutoX and DE / track day car NOT full race side by side stuff...

So wrap-around installation will fail inspection? confused24.gif

Can someone with PCA experience pipe in?
GeorgeRud
The PCA seems to have different rules for different events. A low-speed autocross doesn't require anything more than the stock seat belts, but as the speeds increase, so do the requirements.

You can find the current Chicago PCA requirements on their website. As others have said, it really depends on the sanctioning body's requirements. Read the rules and you should be good.

From a safety standpoint, a 6 point harness, proper seat, fire suppression system, firesuit, and Hans Device are all great and should be used. Just depends on what you really want to do with the car.
qa1142
I want to WIN

I will have DOT R tires to stick to the asphalt and new 5 lugs with clampers from Eric S wub.gif

Never again under matched on adhesion, may be under powered but never under glued shades.gif
dinomium
PCA rules do state that if you have an instructor ride along, the passenger safety level must be equal to that of the driver. SO if you have harness and correct seat and want to do DE events, you will need two. At least until you are approved to solo.

I use CROW belts in my track car, cam lock and they have been great. Since you have to replace them more often, I like the most economical and safe choice...
avidfanjpl
Belt on driver side is slightly worn and crying the retraction blues. I am allowed to use it for AX, but since Race day is 5 AX's away, I have to change and might as well do it now.

I am not interested in changing the seats out, but I will if I am forced to for PCA OCR Race Day, but I kinda doubt it. I must do both seats, and I am prepared to do both seats. I like the G Force stuff, as I will only do AX and Race Days, but not side by side. Too many amateurs.

I drive 100 miles a day in my G35 and I see idiots every hour. I am one of those defensive drivers. Because I know what losing traction is all about.

I raced karts from 1960 to 1970, then college and grad school in my Karmann Ghia RED ANT, then 1976 to 88 I had 4 different 914- 2.0L, all were AX'ed and race days.

Now I am back to a 914 and a Carrera 3.2 in weeks (just finishing some minor improvements) and figure to piss around with the 914 until I do a rebuild.

I was thinking about trying to locate some Scheel seats, or something, then do 5 points. But, there are LOTS of opinions about the back bar versus eyebolts through the floor pan and firewall.

I am absolutely not against eyebolts, new attractive seats that don't look like I should get a 3 point ticket, and don't want a roll bar.

I may sound unsure, but think of it this way. I like original, but I also like being safe and going as fast as I can at the absolute boundary of the coefficient of friction of the car.

With no one else on the track, or at least decently spaced on track day.

So, one last time, if I do seats, can I get something that is not from the Space Shuttle and do 5 point restraints, and maybe not ruin my otherwise nearly cherry interior and body?

This fine shade of definition is why I ask. I am absolutely interested in all your opinions, and one or two of you will convince me of what I will do.

Thanks!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.