Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting Rocker Panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
My rocker panels have porsche decals that are dried out and peeling. The paint is pretty beat up. So I was thinking it was time to paint them. I've got zero experience in this sort of thing. so a couple questions:

What's involved in prep? Clean them. Rough them up with sand paper?

Can I rattle can them? What kind of paint? Do I primer? Going with black.

Dare I ask? Can I paint them without removing them?

If I do remove them, I was thinking of getting an install kit from AA. Good idea?

Thanks.
Elliot Cannon
You need to contact Mike Wills (MoveQik) in Scottsdale Arizona. He is an expert on rocker painting. This guy.
70_914
I roughed mine up with scotch brite pads and sprayed them with the spray-on bedliner. Went on nice, got a good bumpy finish and will be resistant to rock chips. NOT going to pass muster if anybody is going to judge my car on originality, but those people can KMA.gif or come out and paint my next set in the original manner.

I did my rear valence and bumper tops with the same stuff and am very happy with the results, but time will tell.
avidfanjpl
I have done and redone rockers on 6 cars in 34 years.

You did not say if they were metal, and I have no familiarity with the raised letter versions. Are they metal?

So, if metal, here is heaven in a sentence, or 7.

Satin black powdercoat cost 50 bucks. Peel them off and check the jackpoints, then get the kits from AA.

If the jackpoints are rotten, cut them out and buy new tubes and plates from Restoration Design in Canada. 70 bucks for both sides.

See the picture below of mine cut out before and after welding. You must check the jacktubes. Or there will be blood.

Then, if metal, just take them to powdercoaters, but if there is rust, you must weld the holes closed in the metal rockers. Powdercoating melts Bondo.

You will have a hole where Bondo was. Sort of nothing short of powdercoating looks like it was factory.

Then, when you get them home, you can mask and paint the PORSCHE if you must.

I like them black on black. If your's are metal, powdercoat. Otherwise, rattlecan away.

John

Before
Click to view attachment

Before
Click to view attachment

After without primer or paint
Click to view attachment

After with Wurth's Zinc Primer
Click to view attachment

And last weekend rockers reinstalled on Orangina

Click to view attachment

She dat fast gal that wears black rocker panties
avidfanjpl
If I read this right, now that I am sitting calmly, you can go to Embee Performance in Santa Ana, if you are in SoCal, and they will do them for 80 bucks.

ALL 4 panels, front, rear, and both sides. I did 8 parts for 108 cash.

EMBEE, recommended to me by Detox Cowboy, one smart cookie that California is missing.

He moved away last month, I think. But his recommendations are ROCK SOLID.

Where he landed, does anyone know?

John
KELTY360
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Sep 22 2010, 09:52 PM) *

EMBEE, recommended to me by Detox Cowboy, one smart cookie that California is missing.

John

I think he was heading for Montana, maybe Livingston.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 22 2010, 09:35 PM) *

You need to contact Mike Wills (MoveQik) in Scottsdale Arizona. He is an expert on rocker painting. This guy.

bootyshake.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 23 2010, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 22 2010, 09:35 PM) *

bootyshake.gif

biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cambo @ Sep 22 2010, 10:15 PM) *

My rocker panels have porsche decals that are dried out and peeling. The paint is pretty beat up. So I was thinking it was time to paint them. I've got zero experience in this sort of thing. so a couple questions:

If I do remove them, I was thinking of getting an install kit from AA. Good idea?

Thanks.

Some interesting "versions" of what the Factory did. None of which are correct.

PM me if you want them to look proper(no,I'm not selling anything). DO NOT POWDERCOAT!

Yes, you will need to remove them, but it's easy. And, you need to remove them to clear the gunk behind them.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 23 2010, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Cambo @ Sep 22 2010, 10:15 PM) *

Thanks.

Some interesting "versions" of what the Factory did. None of which are correct.

PM me if you want them to look proper(no,I'm not selling anything). DO NOT POWDERCOAT!

Yes, you will need to remove them, but it's easy. And, you need to remove them to clear the gunk behind them.

Pat,

Can you put the O&H link to this subject for those who are looking for the OE finish for them? I had it bookmarked, but lost it when my hard drive died - otherwise I'd do it for you.

Anyway, you're the O&H maestro on these! biggrin.gif

I just got a set of Restoration Design repro steel ones to replace my rusted/tweaked OE ones last weekend at GPR! piratenanner.gif

Thanx!
Tom
///////
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Sep 22 2010, 09:52 PM) *

If I read this right, now that I am sitting calmly, you can go to Embee Performance in Santa Ana, if you are in SoCal, and they will do them for 80 bucks.

ALL 4 panels, front, rear, and both sides. I did 8 parts for 108 cash.

John

Here's a PM I got from the "one smart cookie"..... Fuck you again, It is people like you who make online experiences stupid. Your probably a bigger "man" online than in reality, as seems the case more often than not.. I would deal with you to your face in the same manner I am now.. or even more direct.. Try to show some respect fif not for anyone yourself.. you bag of shit.. I am getting off this site so I will never get to see your response, but if you see a Marathon Blue 914 driving through you town next Sunday, feel free to flag me down you complete ass will get what it deserves and I do not give a damn if I end back in Prison for giiving you a beat down.. Joe
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 23 2010, 09:51 PM) *

Your probably a bigger "man" online than in reality

Ell-yut, I think you're perfect online and in person. wub.gif
Sleepin
blink.gif

What am I doing wrong? I never get hateful PMs! Screw all of you!
avidfanjpl
Holy crap!

I had to read that 4 times to understand it.

Elliot, I got a lot of good stuff from Detox in advice.

I am so sorry that you got what you got, but I almost thought I did something wrong.

I really am shocked that he dissed you.

I am really stupid in love with 914World, and have strong feelings about how cool this place and people are, so I didn't get it at all, and try to be evenhanded, but this made me dizzy.

I do hope to meet you and all the MidCal and NorCal people, and I burn no bridges.

I am weirded out at that reaction he gave you.

John
balljoint
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 24 2010, 01:38 AM) *

blink.gif

What am I doing wrong? I never get hateful PMs! Screw all of you!

If you want I can stop sending them by regular mail and just use the PM system?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.