Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Mirror question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
I couldn't find it, but I know there was a thread about locating & installing a passenger side mirror without screwing up existing paint, etc

Anybody have it saved?

TC.
Socalandy
Dont have it saved but if you take off your door pannel and look inside you'll see the threaded holes. drill up thru them but select the right bit size and drill strait or you'll take out the threads.
AZ914
There is a tech article on the Pelican site:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ight_mirror.htm
Tom_T
TC - it's also in Paternie's 914/914-6 book - although they recco'd using a puch up to locate then drill down from the top, which should be easier than fighting with the inner framework & window/regulator mech./etc. to stay straight, then make sure to treat with Wurth Zinc Rich Primer or something to prevent rust (somewhat anyhoo).

Click to view attachment

Although I have the earlier cover version, as may you (sorry, I can't find that pic offhand).
aircooledtechguy
I recently did this on mine. I lightly punched it from the bottom. Then re-punched it from the top. Covered the area with masking tape to support the paint and protect the area. Then drilled small pilot holes. Then used a fine burr to slowly and carefully enlarge the holes until I could thread a M6X1.0 tap into the hole, cleaning out the factory threaded fastener below. Pealed the tape back over itself so the paint wouldn't lift or crack and mounted the new mirror.
Root_Werks
On my 75', the holes were in the same spot as the drivers side. Just measured and drilled a pilot hole, then stepped up bit sizes being careful not to drill into the threads. Just don't stand on the drill.

Took maybe 15 minutes from start the finish, lined up perfect.
Drums66
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Sep 23 2010, 07:30 AM) *

Dont have it saved but if you take off your door pannel and look inside you'll see the threaded holes. drill up thru them but select the right bit size and drill strait or you'll take out the threads.

...Right, they should be there dit,dit,ditto shades.gif bye1.gif
rfuerst911sc
Tc take a spring loaded center punch and feel around for the nuts that are already in the door. The punch almost self centers and is much easier to use in tight space. Once you have the two holes marked reverse punch them from the top. I started with a small bit maybe a 1/16 to make the first holes. Then just slowly keep going bigger. This worked perfect on mine.
carr914
Got-R-Dun

The Passenger Side was much easier than the Drivers Side. The P/S was as described.

Click to view attachment

The D/S, the holes were filled with Bondo, so I had to chisel out the filler from the bottom side, then do the punch from top & bottom to blow the bondo out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.