Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new gas pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JayB
After taking out the pedal assembly to machine some new bushings and clean it up a bit, i decided to get rid of the horrible gas pedal situation while i was at it. so i came up with this...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I wanted to keep everything together as one unit, no more of this bolting the pedal down separately stuff. As you can see its a work in progress. Heres the pedal design:

Click to view attachment

Ill machine it out of aluminum hopefully this weekend.
the best part: a real tie rod that has no chance of falling off laugh.gif
if there's interest, i would do a whole rebuild of other peoples' assemblies with UHM bushings and this new pedal.

unless of course no one else besides me is having problems with theres, which may very well be the case!
EdwardBlume
Can you make a chrome bare foot?
JayB
i suppose if enough people wanted it. It would probably be a real pain to program though.
McMark
I looks AWESOME! But doesn't the floor pan rise up, just behind* the pedal cluster?

*behind, as in towards the back of the car.
JayB
Thanks! i think it does, but its mounted to clear it. All i do know is that it fits in no problem!
strawman
Since you're in there already, I'd suggest replacing the plastic bushings with bronze ones. I've got an extra set that I'll sell for $15 including shipping... PM me if you're interested.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(JayB @ Sep 24 2010, 11:09 AM) *

i suppose if enough people wanted it. It would probably be a real pain to program though.

I don' think it would be that hard to make a program for it to run in NC code....our CAM programs take care of all that for you and its 2D so should not be that hard. You will need to make 2 programs for it, first from the bottom and add some tap drills for it to fit to some kind of holder or jig for the second machining process when you flip it over and machine it again for the second run...its hard to tell in the picture but if its a flat 2D pedal should be simple to make, if its a pedal with an arc or any 3D work you will need to machine a larger piece of material (alluminum?) and would increase cost more but the programing would still be quite easy.
JayB
i already machined a set of UHM bushings, but thanks anyway. Is bronze that much better than UHM though?
JayB
and jamie, i havent had much luck getting my CNC to communicate with a computer, so its all manual entry for now. wacko.gif
Mikey914
This is an excellent solution to a crappy design. But do check the fit, it looks like you may want to take a little off the bottom.
underthetire
QUOTE(JayB @ Sep 25 2010, 11:58 AM) *

and jamie, i havent had much luck getting my CNC to communicate with a computer, so its all manual entry for now. wacko.gif

If you have a "real" cnc control, I can probably help you with the RS232. I am/was a CNC controls tech for Mori seiki and Okuma, and do retrofits now for a large company.
JayB
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 25 2010, 04:20 PM) *

This is an excellent solution to a crappy design. But do check the fit, it looks like you may want to take a little off the bottom.

It already fits perfectly, but i'll get it finished and mounted and use it for a while to make sure it doesnt interfere with anything.

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 25 2010, 04:44 PM) *

If you have a "real" cnc control, I can probably help you with the RS232. I am/was a CNC controls tech for Mori seiki and Okuma, and do retrofits now for a large company.

Ill just warn you now, its not as easy as it sounds! i had a pro come in twice to try to set it up, and he got it working for a little while, but then it stopped and he couldnt fix it again. if you want to take on the challenge, thanks a bunch! if so ill give you some more details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.