Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are they suppose to be there
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigvag
Removed the back swing arms to clean and paint. I took off the drivers side and everything look normal. I took off the pass. side and the three bolts that hold in the cup looking thingy(yeah technical) its the piece that bolt to the piece that is welded to the longs and it bolt to the outer half of the 22mm bolt that hold the swing arm. Anyway the drivers side didn't have any spacer in it but the passenger side had 3 spacers between the cup thingy and the part that welds to the longs. Is this normal. If a pic is needed let me know. The spacers have the same pattern as the 3 15mm bolt that hold the cup thingy to the part that is welded. Ok enough rambling I'm drunk.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bigvag @ Sep 25 2010, 07:06 PM) *

Removed the back swing arms to clean and paint. I took off the drivers side and everything look normal. I took off the pass. side and the three bolts that hold in the cup looking thingy(yeah technical) its the piece that bolt to the piece that is welded to the longs and it bolt to the outer half of the 22mm bolt that hold the swing arm. Anyway the drivers side didn't have any spacer in it but the passenger side had 3 spacers between the cup thingy and the part that welds to the longs. Is this normal. If a pic is needed let me know. The spacers have the same pattern as the 3 15mm bolt that hold the cup thingy to the part that is welded. Ok enough rambling I'm drunk.

Those spacers are there to set the rear alignment on the car. Keep them as you will need them.
Lennies914
Those are the alignment shim thingys. beer.gif Normal
JamesM
QUOTE(bigvag @ Sep 25 2010, 08:06 PM) *

Technical terms and booze do not mix.... I am going to guess you are talking about the rear alignment shims?
JFJ914
Three shims are fine.
bigvag
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 25 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Technical terms and booze do not mix.... I am going to guess you are talking about the rear alignment shims?

You got that right. Thanks guys for the replies.
underthetire
Whats not normal is to have none in the drivers side. And how thick are the shims, and are they the right ones. I wouldn't say it normal until you post pics, my fear is some PO put them in the passenger side to compensate for a console collapsing.
ConeDodger

drunk.gif Being drunk isn't bad - unless you're a goldfish... in a frat house... During rush week! blink.gif Then being drunk is pretty much fatal unless you can make the pledge puke. barf.gif

Definitely alignment shims.
underthetire
Do they look like this
http://engmanparts.com/alignshims.php

Tom_T
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 26 2010, 08:29 AM) *

Whats not normal is to have none in the drivers side. And how thick are the shims, and are they the right ones. I wouldn't say it normal until you post pics, my fear is some PO put them in the passenger side to compensate for a console collapsing.

... or to compensate for a bent unibody from an accident - did it "crab" - i.e.: drive a bit sideways when going straight, when viewed from front or rear in a leading or trailing car?

If so, then you'll need to get it onto a Cellette Bench to pull it straight & true.

Also btw - I prefer "doo-hicky"! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.