Has anyone used this?

Thanks,

Joe
qa1142
poke.gif Where is the link?
ripper911
Is this the one?

Fuel injection kit

Looks promising... I thought about that kit when I got my new engine.
but I got 40 ida's for budgetary reasons... maybe some day.

76-914
Is that plastic fuel filter, in the pic, under 30 psi constant pressure?
OmaPossu
Is this set for 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0l engines? Stock 90hp?
race914
Is it the CBPerformance kit?

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=278

Porschef
Yes, Ripper, that's the one.
ConeDodger
I have not looked at it either in the catalog or in person, but a local shop here in Sac, IPB Autosport removed one a year ago to put carbs on a 914 because neither they or the cars owner could make it run right.
swl
QUOTE(race914 @ Sep 26 2010, 06:28 AM) *

Certainly looks like the CB intakes. Looks like George has mated this to injectors and and crankfire for a turn key solution. He shows it for all years so he must be differentiating by injectors and map.

A little pricey for sure but a nice solution for an elderly DJet. There are so many NLA components now that it seems to be either carbs or aftermarket FI.

A question for the head gurus. Is the plenum really the constriction on our cars? Seems to me that that no matter how much air you blow through the plenum at some point you are going to be restricted by the heads. Is there really that much constriction in the plenum that you could get big gains without doing the heads/cams?
AndyB
agree.gif Enquiring minds want to know biggrin.gif
charliew
THe way I read it the plenum is the biggest restrictor or how does the itbs work so much better on stock heads? Itb's will always flow more air than long tube intake manifolds.
Mark Henry
The TB's are CB but that coil pack is SDS. I saw the the dizzy and it had SDS crank sensors. I guessing it`s mostly an SDS system.
orange914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 26 2010, 07:05 AM) *

Is that plastic fuel filter, in the pic, under 30 psi constant pressure?

i don't even see hose clamps on it. surprisingly cheasy advertising to get my $3500 stirthepot.gif
Mark Henry
A stock engine going from 90hp to 125hp just because you add PEFI is total bullshit!
bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif

There is no such thing as a "crank fire distributor". It's either "crank fire" or "distributor".
underthetire
Really? I can't get 50% more power with just FI ? How about if I add the fuel magnet and intake tornado? Maybe the electric turbo? teef.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 26 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Really? I can't get 50% more power with just FI ? How about if I add the fuel magnet and intake tornado? Maybe the electric turbo? teef.gif

Stickers add 50hp. rolleyes.gif
BMXerror
I would rather just pay $2000 for the real SDS system.... oh, wait. I already did. biggrin.gif
Once it's installed I'll see what difference good fuel control alone makes on the stock plenum, and then decide if I need to go bigger. But slapping injectors into Carb throttle bodies seems like a pretty cheesy solution.
Mark D.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 26 2010, 09:37 AM) *

The TB's are CB but that coil pack is SDS. I saw the the dizzy and it had SDS crank sensors. I guessing it`s mostly an SDS system.

underthetire
The throttle bodies will help if you have enough motor to use them. I've seen Suzuki GSXR bodies mounted to weber intakes before. For the average guy i'm not sure they would help. Guess a dyno would be the only way to know for sure.
JFJ914
QUOTE(swl @ Sep 26 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(race914 @ Sep 26 2010, 06:28 AM) *
A question for the head gurus. Is the plenum really the constriction on our cars? Seems to me that that no matter how much air you blow through the plenum at some point you are going to be restricted by the heads. Is there really that much constriction in the plenum that you could get big gains without doing the heads/cams?

The exhaust is the restriction. Work on that first.
Jake Raby
Plenum volumes are critical to RPM range.. I have used a stock 2.0 plenum on 2270cc engines up to 145HP,above that its pretty worthless. The 2.0 Bus plenum has proven to be more well designed to me, in back to back comparisons on the same engine.

With a plenum based system camshaft specifics are absolutely critical at low speed and idle. Cams set up for a very high manifold pressure will give the best vacuum signature thats necessary for a MAP based common plenum to be effective and tunable.

Generally the lobe separation is the key..

That said, George's system is SDS driven with some CB hardware. I almost had a chance to tune one for him a month or so ago on my chassis dyno.

BTW- Its not so much a "restriction" or "constriction" as much as being less than optimum for certain RPM ranges.

I just finished the revitalization of the engine for my 912E. Its a 2056 that is being built for MPG, smooth running and 90 miles per day commuting. I optimized this engine for air conditioning and to utilize a stock 2.0 common plenum. I am using a new system that Electromotive has developed for us that is generally used on motorcycle engines for my PEFI solution. This coupled to the RAT/ Extrudabody throttle body and my seriously modified fuel delivery arrangement that utilizes a fuel distributor rather than fuel rails should fit the bill quite well.

IPB Image

I changed the cam in this engine from a RAT 9530 with a 105* lobe separation to the same cam with a 112* lobe separation.

The previous version supplied me with 160K miles of trouble free, reliable performance. It was worn but had much more life in it when I tore into it as you can see here.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.p...&Itemid=112
sooba_dave
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 26 2010, 10:19 AM) *

THe way I read it the plenum is the biggest restrictor or how does the itbs work so much better on stock heads? Itb's will always flow more air than long tube intake manifolds.

Maybe I can graft a couple of 40 IDF's to the top of the d-jet plenum? Hmmm. drunk.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(sooba_dave @ Sep 26 2010, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 26 2010, 10:19 AM) *

Maybe I can graft a couple of 40 IDF's to the top of the d-jet plenum? Hmmm. drunk.gif

Its been done... Many times.
BUT the fuel falls from suspension in those long ass runners and enters the chambers as liquid. When you try to tune the engine it always runs rich because of this.
draganc
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 26 2010, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 26 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Stickers add 50hp. rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
what color stickers?? does size matter? av-943.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would suggest it ONLY for a high performance engine. We combined the best of all of the fuel injection kits out there and the real saviour that puts it ahead is the custom distributor that my brother in law makes from a new 009 type. Makes the kit very easy to install with no rig up on the flywheel or the fan.

QUOTE(porscheless @ Sep 26 2010, 06:36 AM) *

Has anyone used this?

Thanks,

Joe

swl
I like that idea George. I assume that the 009 is just providing the timing and you are mapping the advance using mps and rpm data? Still think it is a pretty neat solution for a stocker with a bad mps and tired dizzy. Tune it once and be done with it. Need deeper pockets than I have though. Costs more than I paid for my car!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 26 2010, 06:13 PM) *

I would suggest it ONLY for a high performance engine. We combined the best of all of the fuel injection kits out there and the real saviour that puts it ahead is the custom distributor that my brother in law makes from a new 009 type. Makes the kit very easy to install with no rig up on the flywheel or the fan.

Ok... and I think your dizzy is a acceptable (not quite as good as crankfire) way of getting around the issue, BUT "crank fire distributor" is totally wrong (misleading) terminology. Plus reading your ad make's it sound like just adding the FI will make a huge HP increase. That is not true, the fact is it will make no more HP than slapping a set of webers on.
It's the sum of all parts (heads, cam, displacement, headers, etc.) that increases HP.

IMO I don't consider the CB TB's the best as they are way too big (48mm) for most applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.