Full Version: shadek oil pump clearances/gaslet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
boy I'm feeling old
3-4 years ago I knew the answer to this and even put the motor together
but now I'm assembling and don't remember the answer

I'm installing my Shadek (30 I think) oil pump
I have Jakes studs, and Jakes cover plate
the pump was in the motor previously (with a different cam)
the pump has been checked for clearance of the cam-gear bolts, as well as the pump nose to cam end.

question is about gaskets and oil-gear clearance
new gasket kit has a stock gasket to put between block and pump
what do I use for a gasket between the exterior pump face and the cover
(I know this measurement is critical for the pump to work correctly/tolerances)

I looked last night on Jakes site but it was down for maintenance....
I'll check again now to see what he sells.
thanks in advance everyone
and thanks for all the help you've already given too.
brant
bam914
Check the gear to cover clearance by bolting the cover on to the pump. If it spins free then do not use a gasket. Apply Loctite 518 to the cover. This will give you the best oil pressure. Also make sure the cover is flat.
Jake Raby
We haven't sold an oil pump in over a year. The quality went to hell on the Schadek pumps and we can't make enough of the billet pumps to do more than satisfy our own demands for engine production.

I like .001 total gear end play, then use no gasket as Blake mentions above.
brant
Thanks again to both of you
its a 5 year old shadeck with very low mileage
(I put 76miles on the motor when I built it 3-4 years ago... and its been sitting indoors since)

I hope the quality is good enough...
I did have to clearance the back of the housing for the new 9590 cam.

I bought the cover and studs from you Jake, and at that time you weren't recommending against the shadeck... at least not that I remember

brant
Jake Raby
The Schadek went to hell about 18 months ago.. If its older than that you should be fine.

I just reused the Schedk in my old 912E engine, it was a Schadek from 2002. After 160K it was good enough to be reused.
realred914
the flat steel cover that comes with teh pump is not flat, nor will it remian flat when torqued down (dial indicator will confirm this) what you need to get is the stock VW pump xcovers that have the bent up raised edges, this will prevent warping of the cover when it is torqued down. the flat plate covers bow in the middle when tightened down, the bow is as much as .007 inch or so well with in the relm of effecting oil pressure. the stock VW covers have the raised edges which stiffens the plate. get the stock cover to be sure it remians flat.

Mark Henry
Schadek never came with a flat steel cover, only melling. Jake doesn't sell a flat steel cover (or melling pumps).
VaccaRabite
I thought you had to modify a T1 pump cover for the HD Shadeck in a T4.

Thats what I did with mine anyway.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.