Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L Air Cleaner connections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
Reviewing hose connections, I notice that I'm likely mis-connected. Per Haynes, PP, and convetional wisdom, the top nipple should connection to crankcase ventilation and the bottom to charcoal canister. Per diagrams and arrows on unit, the two nipples should be inline, however, this puts the snorkle against the firewall, which just doesn't fit. Thoughts?
Brad Roberts
The snorkel moves if I'm not mistaken.

Can you shoot a digital pic of your engine ? It will help us in determining what goes where.

One of the other club members may have a pic of their 1.7 engine for reference. I personally only have pics from 2.0 engines and 6's.

B
McMark
I was going to reply and then I realized that I never had an air cleaner on my 1.7 so I don't know where the hoses go.
Brad Roberts
Thanks for the "non reply".. laugh.gif lotsa help you are.

Maybe enough people will see his thread.. and help him out.

B
McMark
My non-reply was just as good as your non-reply.

No, telling him to take a picture doesn't really help in my book. tongue.gif

At least we don't work on 914s for a LIVING... heh, yeah.
Brad Roberts
Sooner or later someone with a 1.7 will see us "non-replying" and reply to him.

I can only think of one 1.7 that we work on (Benjamin's) and it is the loaner motor for his 2.0 build.

B
Dave_Darling
I don't think it matters which way around you go. Put it together so it all fits. I believe that both fittings (they're on the air cleaner, yes?) simply supply air at "ambient" pressure, or in the case of the charcoal cannister lines they supply air into the air cleaner. They should all wind up in the main chamber of the air cleaner, so there should not be a difference between them.

--DD
wheelo
BCinNC-
Dave is correct, I have a OEM 1.7, and my vent lines are connected from the "flashback valve" (#12) in the Haynes, to the bottom nipple on the air cleaner. I have this nipple facing the left rear wheel under the air intake duct. The snorkle aims out to left at 90 degrees from rear of car, lots of room and fresh air there. The charcoal can line comes from right side and hooks-up to top nipple on air cleaner.
This fits best and works well for me.
Hope this helps... clap56.gif
BCinSC
That's how mine was, but not how the book SAYS is should be. If it doesn't matter, wouldn't VW/Porsche have put them both on top or both on bottom? Pix coming
Joe Ricard
Wow this is playing right into my car project. found the additional hose that comes from the vapor canister. Not that it was any good. I need to replace all of them lines too.

So hurry up with the pics. kinda "I'll show you mine if ya show me yours" laugh.gif
BCinSC
Had to shrink them. Hope they show SOMETHING.
BCinSC
another
BCinSC
another
BCinSC
last
BCinSC
Anyone?
Joe Ricard
Cool thanks alot. Should help when I get back to that point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.