Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound mat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
IronHillRestorations
B-Quiet Brown Bread sound deadener mat. Foil faced, flexible, and easy to install, will hold paint. 2' wide roll. $2 square foot plus actual shipping. Limited amount left. PM me or email a914man@netease.net or call my main business (Q Snap) at 800-867-4712

Click to view attachment
brown bread installed in a Nissan. Sorry I don't have a install pic from a 914
pilothyer
Would this material be suitable for use on the firewall inside the engine compartment?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Sep 27 2010, 08:07 AM) *

Would this material be suitable for use on the firewall inside the engine compartment?

I wouldn't use it like that without mechanical fasteners too. It might be OK, but I'd be concerned that the heat inside the engine bay might make it release over time.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Sep 27 2010, 12:07 PM) *

I can tell you for sure, BTDT, I've tried it (on my '67 bus)...No, the butyl will semi-melt and it will fall off. Daily driving it will release in about 3-6 weeks.

Good product, it's just not meant for the engine bay. Should be fine on the interior side of the firewall.
pilothyer
Thanks for the replies, I thought for sure I had found an alternative to that giant sponge for the firewall insulation in the engine bay.
IronHillRestorations
B-Quiet does make a multi layered foam sound mat that I've used for the firewall, but I also used a high quality mylar foil tape to seal the edges. For that install I used cheeshead screws (just like the engine tin screws) and large fender washers to mechanically hold the sound mat, which also had a peel off self adhesive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.