Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI - No More 5-Lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
I've officially stopped doing all the 5-lug conversion stuff (hubs and converted front rotors).

Couple of reasons; I did pedals, someone else started doing pedals. Also, cores were mostly bad so I stopped. I did 5-lug hubs, now someone else does it. Cores stopped coming back as well. It was extremely time consuming and expensive to do the extra steps of adding the bosses to the rear hubs (and we know how 914 guys like expensive stuff) biggrin.gif

Machine shops have become less and less reliable as well. Best bet is to buy the cheaper versions or, use one of my how-to threads as referrence to go to your local machine shop and have them made for you. Simple actually, Google a local machine shop and see if they will spot face your hubs in a 5x130 pattern. Take a Verbus stud with you for referrence. You can opt for welded on bosses or not.

For the fronts I posted what I feel is the best method a couple weeks back. Here's some links to help those who want to accomplish these tasks:

Fronts:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111236

Rears:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65068

One thing I was doing differently on the last generation of rear hubs is to have the machine shop spot face a larger area for the ring bosses to seat in. This allowed a nice "valley" for us to put a bead of weld into.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm always happy to share the knowledge. Good luck.

E.
qa1142
Wow

popcorn[1].gif
RJMII
I'm glad I had you do mine before you quit. smile.gif They were done RIGHT.
MoveQik
Damn...I was just getting ready to send you a bunch of shitty cores to see if you would do a free set for me. sad.gif
AndyB
hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif I am not at that point now I have to go with some other design/machine work.
Spoke
Bummer. The rear hubs I got from you were excellent!

5-lugging is still on my list of upgrades for my car after some more rust repair.
jasons
Would you consider winding it down? Say.... Offer it for 2 more weeks only if the customer sends you core hubs in advance. Or... Are you just that 'done' with it?

I have a pair of hubs on my bench earmarked to go to you. I could take them to Patrick, but I prefer to give you my money.
Mikey914
Eric,
Would you consider doing one more "group purchase" before you stop (or not). I'm one that could use a set, and I want them done right!

PLEASE..... I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
No problem Eric. We have done the five lug conversions for years and have a great machinist and now have plenty of stock on pedal clusters and rebuild them on an assembly line technique once a week
Keep up the good work on the calipers.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2010, 05:43 PM) *

I've officially stopped doing all the 5-lug conversion stuff (hubs and converted front rotors).

Couple of reasons; I did pedals, someone else started doing pedals. Also, cores were mostly bad so I stopped. I did 5-lug hubs, now someone else does it. Cores stopped coming back as well. It was extremely time consuming and expensive to do the extra steps of adding the bosses to the rear hubs (and we know how 914 guys like expensive stuff) biggrin.gif

Machine shops have become less and less reliable as well. Best bet is to buy the cheaper versions or, use one of my how-to threads as referrence to go to your local machine shop and have them made for you. Simple actually, Google a local machine shop and see if they will spot face your hubs in a 5x130 pattern. Take a Verbus stud with you for referrence. You can opt for welded on bosses or not.

For the fronts I posted what I feel is the best method a couple weeks back. Here's some links to help those who want to accomplish these tasks:

Fronts:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111236

Rears:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65068

One thing I was doing differently on the last generation of rear hubs is to have the machine shop spot face a larger area for the ring bosses to seat in. This allowed a nice "valley" for us to put a bead of weld into.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm always happy to share the knowledge. Good luck.

E.

Eric_Shea
It figures you'd turn my thread into sales SPAM propaganda for your gain... LOL. biggrin.gif thumb3d.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2010, 09:16 AM) *

It figures you'd turn my thread into sales SPAM propaganda for your gain... LOL. biggrin.gif thumb3d.gif

..Was'nt that slick(cool) bussiness as usual poke.gif
hey george......what's up ? stirthepot.gif bye1.gif
MoveQik

Truly amazing....
EdwardBlume
Would you do a pair for a scooby snack? confused24.gif

OK OK, two scooby snacks? av-943.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Every chance I get. I have dedicated my life the the preservation of the Porsche 914 and will continue until the day I die. Few can say the same Eric. I try to be as cordial as I can with you but frankly get sick and tired of your negativity, bad mouthing, sour grapes, and overall less than above board attitude. Maybe you and Brad should buddy up

Scott S
"and overall less than above board attitude."

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

yappin.gif
Ferg
Wow, with all his credibility, he sure told you Eric lol-2.gif
Eric_Shea
You forgot to plug the "700 Tech-Tips" book that you have a pallet of sitting in your lost warehouse! biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
would you like me to send you an autographed copy Eric??

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2010, 03:36 PM) *

You forgot to plug the "700 Tech-Tips" book that you have a pallet of sitting in your lost warehouse! biggrin.gif

a914dude
Don't mind the brown stain, it's probably rust. poke.gif
azbill
George You are steeping over the line. I don't mind hustling business but your way out of line this time. Let's cut the crap. Eric sorry you've made the decision.
FourBlades

On a lighter note, I have a pair of Eric's beautiful 5 lug trailing arms complete
with 911 e-brakes and welded reinforcements.

Due to the sudden drop in supply, I'll be taking offers for these starting at only
$5000 for the set. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Pictures at 11.

John

MoveQik
I was really hoping when he bought Club that he would pack his bags of BS and just stay over there. No such luck..... sad.gif
Eric_Shea
I have dedicated my life the the preservation of the Porsche 914

I think you've dedicated your life to screwing the 914 owner. Want a relevant example?

I'd slow down that "assembly line" of yours (seriously, you think people buy into that BS? Didn't learn anything from the "Lost Warehouse"? av-943.gif). When you come and SPAM my thread and promote your pedal assemblies... don't expect me not to point out to my 914 friends that yours is nearly "Twice" the price as what Bruce Stone sells his for.

Your "rattle can" assembly line (look at that crap... everything, springs included, is rattle canned black. Or should I say "meticulously painted" LOL):
http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?Part...al_number=23029
Pedals - $275.00
Core - $100.00

Bruce powder coated assemblies with fresh zinc plating (You know... Bruce, who does not SPAM every thread he weighs in on. Bruce who shows up at Rambles and "participates") found right here in the "Member Vendor" section (where it belongs):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...20&hl=pedal
Pedal - $150.00
Core - $50.00

914 guys... I'll guarantee that when you order from Bruce, your price won't change when your credit card gets billed. I'll guarantee that he'll appreciate your business and I'll guarantee that's a fair price. Quite simply; Bruce offers a much better product for sale at a much better price.

Shall I delve into the $852.50 cost of your 5-lug kit and show people here how they can get that for hundreds less? Follow the link above people... it aint rocket science.

How about your "Complete" rubber kits that you recently SPAMMED to all of us that are "not so complete"? Even on sale they're $100 plus more expensive than Mark (Mikey914) sells his for and he includes more stuff! He has much better quality rubber as well.

914 guys... Lower Price. Better Quality. Every Day. Every Customer. Right Here: ----> www.914rubber.com

Those who know me know I'm not negative... only toward you George, because you screw my friends. I'll point it out daily. wink.gif

Do you still have the 914-6 VIN numbers for sale? biggrin.gif

See... I'm not negative! I enjoy saving my friends money and finding them a better quality product!! It's a "positive" vibe. lol3.gif w00t.gif
MoveQik
Eric, don't confuse all of us with the facts...

Jeezus that was a beat down.
majkos
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 30 2010, 02:45 PM) *

would you like me to send you an autographed copy Eric??

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2010, 03:36 PM) *

Why, he won't get it till next year
like it took you, a YEAR!?
SLITS
This has been going on for years. It won't change ... it hasn't changed. It used to be his henchmen. They blew as much crap as he does now.

Let him ramble ... somehow, I just don't hear his words.
bdstone914
Thanks Eric for the plug. Anyone who mentions Erics post to me when ordering a pedal rebuild will get 10% off normal price! bootyshake.gif boid.gif smilie_flagge6.gif sheeplove.gif hijacked.gif

By the way, I also do 5 lug rear hub conversions that are done correctly. No extra bosses though. If you want details PM me or Check the members vendor forums for a post about it soon.

Thanks Eric for a good show. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
RJMII
Those who know me know I'm not negative...

agree.gif

No extra bosses though.

Why not? Those are one of the main selling points of Eric's. The extra bosses increase the structural integrity enough to include them, even at the little bit extra $$ they cost.
RJMII
I've officially stopped doing all the 5-lug conversion stuff

and dr Evil quit doing transmissions poke.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1377763
Black22
Wow! Not THIS again! After our last exchange on his site Eric, it probably means nothing bit I'm on your side on this one. Here you start a thread telling everyone you are going to discontinue parts that others like and trust only for the "Dr." to chime in with a, don't let the door hit ya on the way out comment? What and ass! Are we sure the doctor isn't a proctologist?!? Lol
Eric_Shea
Danke... he's just showing his true colors. "Cash is our Passion"
JRust
Sorry to see you aren't doing them anymore. I understand why your not though. I know whatever you plan to do besides calipers. Will be done to kick ass specs drooley.gif . All your work is pristine bud & we all appreciatte it.
Coy
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 30 2010, 08:26 PM) *

Sorry to see you aren't doing them anymore. I understand why your not though. I know whatever you plan to do besides calipers. Will be done to kick ass specs drooley.gif . All your work is pristine bud & we all appreciatte it.

Here Here! agree.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2010, 07:39 PM) *

Danke... he's just showing his true colors. "Cash is our Passion"

blink.gif Man Eric now who going to do my car confused24.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 30 2010, 06:46 PM) *

The extra bosses increase the structural integrity enough to include them, even at the little bit extra $$ they cost.

Has anyone broken a set that were properly done without bosses?

I suspect if any units have broken that they were due to improper machining, either because they were counterbored too thin or because the hole diameter was too small and the flange cracked when the stud was pressed in.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 30 2010, 08:26 PM) *

agree.gif you rock Eric and this is a tough blow to the community. Love everything you do for us
carr914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 30 2010, 05:58 PM) *

Every chance I get. I have dedicated my life the the preservation of the Porsche 914 and will continue until the day I die. Few can say the same Eric. I try to be as cordial as I can with you but frankly get sick and tired of your negativity, bad mouthing, sour grapes, and overall less than above board attitude. Maybe you and Brad should buddy up

Fuch'g incredible!. George, I've tried to see your point after our disagreements 15 years ago, BUT if you can't be respectful to Members of this Forum, then you need to stick to that ShitHole of a Site called 914Club and STAY there.

T.C.
Rod
Blimey to an outsider this all appears a bit weird and a shame in Erics thread..

Eric, thanks for your services in the past. Everything works 100% and I was looking forward to sending you a big $ for a complete set of rear arms and all the bits needed to five lug this winter. Shame. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations I'll add those to my address book.
jshaddvw
wow i think this means i got the last set. is that true eric? i received all the parts for the conversion just last week and they look great. i cannot wait to install them on my 914. i am actually deployed at the moment and my father and brother have been working on my car while i am away. they have sent me multiple pictures of everything i ordered and we all agree that it was worth the time and money to buy them from eric. he obviously was the right choice. its sad that you no longer make them because my mom also has a 914 that she someday would love to convert to 5 lug. she would have undoubtedly bought the conversion from you.
Dr Evil
I whole heartedly second the notion that bdstone is a great guy with a focus on quality at a decent price. thumb3d.gif Just like Eric wink.gif
Gudhjem
Sorry to hear this Eric.

jshaddvw may have got the last set, but I'm probably in the running to be the last one to actually install a set you put together (3 months and counting). Still digging deeper and am now working on making a rotisserie (the passenger long turned out to not be as solid as I thought). Thanks for all your help and hope this wont mean you aren't around this site just as much.

--Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.