Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank riddle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
The PO had the tank cleaned and resealed, but I'm puzzled by what's happening- the hose connection (charcoal canister, perhaps) by the fill was disconnected when I got the car. I assumed it had just been disconnected somehow and so I reconnected it. Just so happened that I had the car running in the driveway, checking some other stuff. Shortly thereafter, I noticed the fuel pump making a strange sound. I didn't know what to do, other than undo the last thing I did on the car. Turns out the tank has quite a bit of vacuum. I didn't realize it until after I had pulled the hose off, and started to hear the tank expand back into it's original shape. Removing the gas cap relieved even more pressure quickly. The pump then quieted, and all has been ok since.

Does this sound like a pinched return line? If so, would it cause a rich condition?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Andyrew
Tthe charcoal canister is just a smog thing.. return the fuel vapors back to the intake... Most people just leave it unplugged.
Cap'n Krusty
That way they get those nasty fumes in the passenger compartment instead of the engine ....................................... Buncha huffers ....................

Yes, the return could be partially blocked and that would make it run rich if you're running FI. Check the fuel pressure. If it's way too high, run the return line into a can and see if it's still too high. If it's not, you've found the problem. Make sure the vapor hoses are clear, and that air flows through the can. Make sure the hoses are properly connected in the engine compartment.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.