Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something interesting under my dash vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
While I have my windshield out I thought I would redo the dash vinyl and install some tweeters in that space forward of the dash. The old vinyl ripped right off but left the pad under it adhered to the metal. I used a wire wheel on a cordless drill to rip the pad off and leave me with a surface I could glue the new pad to.

When I did, I found this... Looks like it says Powieug elle? The blue around the surface is masking tape so I can glue without worrying about getting contact cement on the body surfaces.

I have found Japanese Kanji symbols under the dashboards of Datsun Z cars I have had but this is the first I have heard of this.
rohar
tough to read from the pic, still haven't figured out the first part but you sure it doesn't end with "elbe"?
rohar
Crap, the end seems to be gelbe, "Yellow". That might make sense given the color of the dash wink.gif Still trying to figure out the first word.
johannes
Sonnengelb !!! Sun Yellow ...

... wink.gif
rohar
Sommergelbe in really crappy hand writing? It was an available paint color in '75
johannes
QUOTE(rohar @ Oct 3 2010, 01:13 PM) *

Sommergelbe in really crappy hand writing? It was an available paint color in '75

Sonnengelb ... not sommergelbe ...
L13K from 1973 to 1976 ...

johannes
Sonnengelb is summer yellow

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?title=Exterior_color

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
hmmm....

My car:

IPB Image
ConeDodger
The car is a '75 but it isn't yellow. It is Diamond Silver Metallic. Thanks for your effort so far. The sub structure of the dash was yellow and black.
rohar
I've got a '75 and the windshield's out waithing for me to recover the same area. Strangely, that's the only spot I hadn't pulled the foam off. Just ran out to the garage and removed it (rubbed it with my thumb to be carefull unless something was written there). Nothin. Plain white paint. The car is an L31M (Scarlet Red).

Bizarre.

Hanz screwin with ya? wink.gif
ConeDodger
I don't think you have to be careful. I used a wire wheel on a cordless drill to rip out the foam and prep the surface. The writing survived that! I am sure it has been there since the car was new. The windshield was original with the California emission sticker still in place. The dash vinyl cannot be replaced correctly without removing the windshield.
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Oct 3 2010, 02:26 PM) *

agree.gif

It reads "Sonnengelb" ...

L13K - Sunflower Yellow or Summer Yellow, depending on the year.

The dash color is almost never the same as the car color.

For some reason, someone decided to write down the color of the dash on it.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2010, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Oct 3 2010, 02:26 PM) *

agree.gif

It reads "Sonnengelb" ...

L13K - Sunflower Yellow or Summer Yellow, depending on the year.

The dash color is almost never the same as the car color.

For some reason, someone decided to write down the color of the dash on it.
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Cool! I have an autographed dash color!!! piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 3 2010, 01:30 PM) *

hmmm....

My car:

IPB Image

Nice... I am going to have some work done on mine by North Hollywood. Maybe I will write Yopu on them before I install... wub.gif
stewteral
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2010, 01:46 PM) *

While I have my windshield out I thought I would redo the dash vinyl and install some tweeters in that space forward of the dash. The old vinyl ripped right off but left the pad under it adhered to the metal. I used a wire wheel on a cordless drill to rip the pad off and leave me with a surface I could glue the new pad to.

When I did, I found this... Looks like it says Powieug elle? The blue around the surface is masking tape so I can glue without worrying about getting contact cement on the body surfaces.

I have found Japanese Kanji symbols under the dashboards of Datsun Z cars I have had but this is the first I have heard of this.

Hey ConeDodger,

I sent your photo to my brother who had 4 years of German in school and here is what he thinks it says:

My German is old & unpracticed. It does look like “Sonnengelb” which would be “Sun Yellow”. I don’t know how the writer is getting “ Summer Yellow” from that because “summer” is “Sommer”

Given the color of the panel, this seems to fit.

BTW: I also had a german car with a hidden note: it was a Audi Coupe and when I pulled the door panel, the window lift motor had a masking tape tag that read: "Very Noisy." Ah, you gotta' love that Audi quality control!

Best,
Terry
johannes
QUOTE(stewteral @ Oct 4 2010, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2010, 01:46 PM) *

Hey ConeDodger,

I sent your photo to my brother who had 4 years of German in school and here is what he thinks it says:

My German is old & unpracticed. It does look like “Sonnengelb” which would be “Sun Yellow”. I don’t know how the writer is getting “ Summer Yellow” from that because “summer” is “Sommer”

Given the color of the panel, this seems to fit.

BTW: I also had a german car with a hidden note: it was a Audi Coupe and when I pulled the door panel, the window lift motor had a masking tape tag that read: "Very Noisy." Ah, you gotta' love that Audi quality control!

Best,
Terry

Sure it is "Sonnengelb" ... but I made an error by translating to english ... Of course it is "sun yellow" and not "summer yellow" (my bad)
here http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?title=Exterior_color ...

Andy is german, and I was born in Germany and speak german too...

SirAndy
QUOTE(stewteral @ Oct 4 2010, 09:37 AM) *
I don’t know how the writer is getting “ Summer Yellow” from that because “summer” is “Sommer”

Because "Sonnengelb" has the paint code of L13K, which was called "Summer Yellow" for the american market by Porsche (or VW?) ...

I never said the literal translation of Sonnengelb was Summer Yellow. However, Summer Yellow is the official english name of L13K.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

L13K has two english different names, depending on the year:

Code - Year - German - English

L13K - 73/74 - Sonnengelb - Sunflower Yellow
L13K - 75/76 - Sonnengelb - Summer Yellow

popcorn[1].gif Andy
McMark
Yup, seen the writing on the dash before.

This thread.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 4 2010, 09:17 AM) *

This thread.

It even looks like the same handwriting!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 4 2010, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 4 2010, 09:17 AM) *

This thread.

It even looks like the same handwriting!

Not really ... The 'n' is completely different. Plus, in McMarks link, each letter is written independently with no connection between letters. In the image in this thread, the whole word is written as one with many letters connected.

The overall style is the same.
It's called "Schönschrift" which is what was taught in school in those days ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
johannes
Yep ! ... Saturngelb ... Saturn Yellow ...

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Mine says "Uringelb" confused24.gif

I checked my gauge and it says "Aufhören Hier" and "zurück zu Dummkopf Arbeit" ohmy.gif

Totally confused... wacko.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 4 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Totally confused... wacko.gif

It's important to have an accurate self-image Eric... biggrin.gif
carr914
My 914-6 is autographed too. But I can't even try to figure out what is says

My dash is Signal Orange just like the car

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.