Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spraying Rust Treatment into the Center Tunnel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Ran the shop vac through the center tunnel. Not too bad - yet - with rust. I have a can of Permatex Rust Treatment. If I spray it into the tunnel, what's the hurt? Brake lines and cables should be ok....what about the OEM fuel line??

Contests are not on the can, except it's noted that the contents will cause birth defects in California farm animal.
Katmanken
If I was gonna use anything, it would be that tan cavity wax.

It's air and water tight, reseals if scratched, contains rust inhibitors, and oh yeah, can be cleaned off with mineral spirits.

The dealer used it on everything -metal, plastic, rubber, etc. Coated inside the doors and rockers, under the hood , around the spare, and in every crevice on my 73 Superbeetle with no damage.
McMark
Just sprayed a bunch of POR-15 Metal Ready into the center tunnel of a project. Used a household spray bottle and just misted it in there. Got plenty of coverage. You might have more trouble with an aerosol. But nothing in there should be affected by the rust converter.
bandjoey
Where do you get cavity wax...and...is Metal Ready a rust converter?
Thanks Guys.
McMark
Yup, Metal Ready is a rust converter. 3M makes a wax type coating specifically for spraying in rust prone areas. It's called Rust Fighter. Also check out the application wand which will allow you to spray it into tight areas.

EDIT: Apparently Metal Ready is now called Prep & Ready.
McMark
This thread on TheSamba is pretty cool. It uses the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

IPB Image
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.