Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to attack the rust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kphimself
So i got my car in the garage this evening and i plan starting on repairing my rust issues in the morning. My outer longs seem to be rusted badly about 2 to 3 inches on either side of the jack posts. The inner long seems to have a 6 inch rust hole along the bottom on each side just forward of the jack post. The floor pan is rusted badly along the drivers side and rear corner. I'm trying to find out is it best to repair the outer long first or cut away some of the old floor pan, repair the inner longs then replace the floor pan and do the outer longs? I will be putting a brace in from the upper hing to the seat belt bolt for support but i'm worried that cutting away too much at one time will cause the car to split in two.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(kphimself @ Oct 5 2010, 08:21 PM) *

So i got my car in the garage this evening and i plan starting on repairing my rust issues in the morning. My outer longs seem to be rusted badly about 2 to 3 inches on either side of the jack posts. The inner long seems to have a 6 inch rust hole along the bottom on each side just forward of the jack post. The floor pan is rusted badly along the drivers side and rear corner. I'm trying to find out is it best to repair the outer long first or cut away some of the old floor pan, repair the inner longs then replace the floor pan and do the outer longs? I will be putting a brace in from the upper hing to the seat belt bolt for support but i'm worried that cutting away too much at one time will cause the car to split in two.

I believe the best way to attack rust in your part of the country is to arm yourself with Scotty B and go at it head on! sawzall-smiley.gif
PanelBilly
Dollar wise, I think you should look for another shell. Fun wise I say brace it and start cutting. I don't think it matters if you want to remove the bad pan area. Just keep the doors handy and keep checking that they line up
kphimself
I went ape shit on it today and its alot better then i thought, then inner longs are in really good shape except for a small area below the jack post. I think i'm going to brace it up and go at from the outside in then replace the floor pan. However i have never seen such shitty welding and so much seam sealer in all my life. This is the 4th vechical i have restored and it looks like they just slaped these things together and used seam sealer to cover up a lack of skill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.