Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alt. Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
confused24.gif After all my testing I've come to the point where
I have change the alt. Just wondering if there's a way to change it w/out dropping the
engine. Thanks jbart
dlee6204
Its possible. Here's a tech article which should help you along.

http://www.914world.com/specs/alternator_replacement.php
VaccaRabite
Search! Lots of threads on this.

The basics:
Unplug the battery.
loosen the belt tension bolt and remove the belt.
Lift up the drivers side of your car and put it on jackstands.
Remove the tin cutout.
Unplug the alternator.
Cuss lots trying to get your hands to fit to remove the needed bolts.
Cuss lots as alternator tries to fall on your face on removal.
Put the new unit in. Its easier then taking it out to be sure.
Cuss lots trying to find the now blind bolt holes for the tin to bolt into.
Replace the belt and set tension.
plug that battery back in.
turn on the car and hope you did it right and the curesd red light on the dash goes out.

Zach
bugsy0
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2010, 12:18 PM) *

turn on the car and hope you did it right and the curesd red light on the dash goes out.

Zach

You might prefer to turn on your woman and instead _start_ the car. poke.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Oct 6 2010, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2010, 12:18 PM) *

Zach

You might prefer to turn on your woman and instead _start_ the car. poke.gif

...Don't forget to go back over your work...on both accounts laugh.gif
before you start her up! poke.gif
Markl
I had to change the alternator on my car right after I bought it - no way would I do it again without dropping the engine. Might be just as much work, but a lot less frustrating, and less blood loss.

Nobody else mentioned it, but you might need to change the bolts - rebuilts come with long bolts that will short against the tin (something like that - I've pushed those painful memories aside). I found out the hard way, much sparks, second alternator, oh yeah, I'm starting to remember now ...
McMark
Changing the alternator is one of those jobs that benefits from experience. I pulled and reinstall an alternator in the parking lot at this years RRC. About an hour out, and 45 minutes back in. Not a big deal if you follow the tech article I wrote, linked above.
PanelBilly
I beleive I may have told this story before, but I had a broken contact that I discovered after removing and reinstalling the alternator about 5 times. I got real good at it.

The damn thing would work fine, then go crazy. I'd pull it off and give it to a shop and they'd declare that nothing was wrong. Finely I took it to a shop where they pulled the contact and it had a split in it.

Breaking the screws loose on the pipe that connects the heat exchangers to the "up tube" was the hardest part.

Well maybe crawling under the car was the hardest part
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 6 2010, 03:28 PM) *

Changing the alternator is one of those jobs that benefits from experience. I pulled and reinstall an alternator in the parking lot at this years RRC. About an hour out, and 45 minutes back in. Not a big deal if you follow the tech article I wrote, linked above.

poke.gif I don't think it took you that long but it's your story. You left out the part about having to talk to idiots like me while you worked. huh.gif And you were working out of how many tool "kits"? smash.gif Did that time include waiting on the welder? BTW, you didn't mention that it was a good looking chicks cars, either! av-943.gif Your a good guy Mark. Guys like you are the backbone of this org.
kphimself
You could be like that guy that owned my car last and cut a hole behind the seat then did a bubble gum weld job on it. I love the last owners of cars. There so awsome!!!
cary
Cuzz lots .............. then cuzz some more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.