Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory ignition questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
curt914
Hi Zach

Been following your thread and waiting to see how things turn out
as I pretty much have the same setup.

Wondering if your misfire is due to the spark plug wires "leaking" somewhere along the way.
Maybe to ground or to another spark plug wire?

Also, could it be the cap (near the spark plug towers) leaking to the tin nearby.

As you know, you have to pound the tin into submission just to get the distributor in to begin with.

After round 1 with the tin, I repainted it a time or two in the area of the distributor and
also put a layer or two of electical tape on the tin right where the distributor cap is very close to the tin.

Are you sure the spark plug wires are completely seated all the way down in the distributor spark towers?
Its such a tight fit to get the wire and the boots all the way down and it would be a short hop for high voltage to find the tin (ground).

Well, good luck, hope you get to the bottom of it. smile.gif

Curt
VaccaRabite
Its not the tin. My dizzy is 180 off, so the #1 lead is where the #3 lead should be (right against the tin.) #1 is the cylinder that never misses a beat.

I am going to try a new cap, and then I am going to move to a bigger coil. The car always had a miss at idle, and I have changed wires so that counts out wires. Changed plugs, so that counts out plugs. That leaves the cap and rotor. They LOOK great, but who knows? So I will try them next.

Zach
FourBlades

Any chance you are running rich at idle? There was a long thread on the samba
about how that can make it harder to ignite the mix.

John
FlatIV
You can run it at night in a dark area and see if the the wires or coil are arcing.

Andrew
MarkV
agree.gif
orange914
QUOTE(MarkV @ Oct 28 2010, 03:45 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
+ mist it with a hand spray pump with water

cool night light show. you'd be surprised how mch even great wire leak sumptin'
timothy_nd28
What was the end result, or are you living with this rough idle?
VaccaRabite
Microsquirt with crank fired ignition.
Not done yet, but so not living with craptastic idle.
timothy_nd28
Are you willing to part ways with your Mallory unilite? idea.gif
EdwardBlume
Zach, did you ever get this resolved? popcorn[1].gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Oct 10 2010, 11:22 PM) *

When you say the ignition is behind a resistor block are you referring to the resistor that Mallory shows in line with the positive coil junction for coils that do not have the proper internal resistance? I've been told the Bosch blue coil has adequate internal resistance and does not need the additional ballast resistor.

I have a same set up and confirmed with Mallory, the Blue Coil is internally resisted, however they did tell me if I included it no harm.

I decided to take it out of the line.
rhodyguy
get one of these (coil) and some of those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.