Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: opening to a valve?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfaccing
So I got one of the local porsche club members who knows 914 to come and look at my car and check out my motor. Now he told me the holes are a opening in the exhaust valvesand it suppose to have some tube that routes the fumes to a air cleaner so that when u get off the accelerator it helps keep the emissions on the exhaust down. But he also told me I don't need the tubes and air cleaners but I do need to block off the holes if I don't hook up the air cleaner because it is a port for the exhaust and u don't want a flame spilling out ur motor.
So I see its a threaded hole so is their some kind of screw ican just put in and forget about it? Or is their a way I can buy the proper tube that's suppose to go in their and then cap off the tube?

1976 914 2l 4cyclinder motor
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(surfaccing @ Oct 16 2010, 11:32 AM) *

...So I see its a threaded hole so is their some kind of screw ican just put in and forget about it?...

IIRC, it is 10,0x1,0mm

There's a brake-port blocking plug with a VW part number that size that could be useful. I believe the standard fix is just to get 10x1 Allen (InHex) capscrews and screw them in. Donno the appropriate length tho...
Cap'n Krusty
The best way is to get the proper tubes and plug the top by brazing or welding. That way you're sure they won't come adrift in there.

To clarify the purpose of the ports, they're for the supplementary air injection system. The engine had an air pump, driven by a pulley coupled to the end of the crankshaft. It had plumbing that directed the air to the exhaust ports through a one way valve between the pump and the pipe. The pump had its own air cleaner. The system was used to pump fresh air into the exhaust to dilute the exhaust gasses and promote the function of the catalytic converter. It was pretty state of the art technology in 1973-1979, and it has been resurrected to dilute the exhaust mixture and promote catalytic efficiency on modern cold engines. I know it was used in the mid- late '90s through at least 2004, I believe it's still in use today. Now they use an electric pump.

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
I have a set of the pinched and brazed solution. PM me if you're interested.
surfaccing
sounds like were all on the same track, glad i described it well enough.

but heres a picture just to clarify
IPB Image

pm sent
ConeDodger
Oh good! You found SirAndy's camera! lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
"Clarify"?

The Cap'n
surfaccing
Camera phonesdont work to well if u shakethe thing as it snaps a picture.
surfaccing
Camera phonesdont work to well if u shakethe thing as it snaps a picture.
Dr Evil
On my old engine I used valve adjusters and high temp lock-tite. Worked like a charm.
Bleyseng
Yep, CSOB fix is old 10mm valve adjusters screwed in with Loctite.

Chrome intakes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.