Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 videos - MUSR11
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
poorsche914
Here is a segment of video of the 916 chasing Chris Foley's 914 somewhere between Fontana and Deals Gap. A second video is at post #30
The wind noise was awful so I filtered it quite a bit and reduced the volume. If you listen closely, you can hear the engine at certain points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOzcRp4lUsE

And here is a picture I took of several 914s and the 916 going round a curve at low speed.
IPB Image

driving.gif
jetboy
Glad no oncomming traffic. I would think at that speed the 916 would handle well enough to stay in its lane.
poorsche914
QUOTE(jetboy @ Oct 17 2010, 11:48 PM) *

Glad no oncomming traffic. I would think at that speed the 916 would handle well enough to stay in its lane.

Fastest time between two points is a straight line. smile.gif
jetboy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 17 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Fastest time between two points is a straight line. smile.gif

Yet the lead 914 had no problem going the same speed and staying in its lane driving.gif .
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 17 2010, 10:25 PM) *

Here is a segment of video of the 916 chasing Chris Foley's 914.

More Please! smile.gif biggrin.gif
driving.gif
jeeperjohn56
Hey Chris, Give details on your car. motor? and all the rest that kept your car ahead of the 916. What size motor is in the 916? John driving.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jetboy @ Oct 17 2010, 11:48 PM) *

As a matter of fact, the 916 was shod with well aged vintage tires and was not up to the level of cornering of the lead car which had g Force radials.

The speed was subsantial, even though it may not be fully apparent from the video.
Tom_T
QUOTE(jetboy @ Oct 17 2010, 08:48 PM) *

Not necessarily a handling problem jetboy -
That's called using the whole road to pick your line apex-to-apex - although not generally advisable on an active two-way roadway, as shown by the oncoming traffic at the end of the clip! dry.gif

Who's 916 was that? ... Dr. George's? confused24.gif

... remind him that this is 914 world - not 916 world, which is a much smaller club! laugh.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Oct 18 2010, 01:40 AM) *

Hey Chris, Give details on your car. motor? and all the rest that kept your car ahead of the 916. What size motor is in the 916? John driving.gif

The car has a warmed over 1.7L with Delortos. The engine pulls strong to at least 6200 rpm. I haven't found red line yet. biggrin.gif
The front suspension has stock torsion bars and a stock anti-sway bar.
The rear has 100 lb springs and a stock anti-sway bar.
The tires are 205-60 Touring BFGs on Fuchs 4 bolt wheels.
The 916 has an awesome sounding mechanically injected six (2.4S?, 2.7Carrera?).
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 18 2010, 01:53 AM) *

Who's 916 was that? ... Dr. George's? confused24.gif

Yes, George was driving his 916 (which has a unique 914 vin by the way) and rather spiritedly to boot.
poorsche914 was riding shotgun with George.
bcheney
Very cool stuff! Who's owns the red flared car in the picture?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 18 2010, 07:18 AM) *

That's Clay Perrine.
rwjames
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 18 2010, 06:18 AM) *

The red car with flairs is Clay's car (Forum name: ClayPerrine).

Clay and his wife Betty, along with several others, worked non-stop to make this an awesome event.
VaccaRabite
Mayhaps I am a killjoy....
Crossing the double yellows on an active 2 lane road to cut across rather blind corners is inexcusable. If the car could not hold pace due to old tires, the driver should have slowed down to a pace that could be maintained.

Zach
1968Cayman
You have to keep in mind that from the far LH side of the car those curves your perceive to be blind probably are not so.
mojorisen914
Drive it like you stole it...Babeeyyy!!!
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 04:43 AM) *

Crossing the double yellows on an active 2 lane road to cut across rather blind corners is inexcusable. If the car could not hold pace due to old tires, the driver should have slowed down to a pace that could be maintained.

Zach

Aprilhaps you are dry.gif....

please do not watch any of the video we may post as there was habitual line crossing throughout poke.gif poke.gif
jaxdream
I can understand the line crossing , heck I would do it , especially at speeeed !
Some of the particapants regularly drive in racing conditions , this too helps .

Jack / Jaxdream
JFJ914
Steve, post more video!!!!!!

Saturday was one of the greatest days of my life. Luck of the draw put me directly behind George (in an Audi A4Q) on the drive to Fontana Village and the Dragon after lunch. All of my prior experience with the 916 was looking through the glass into the "Museum" at Auto Atlanta and here was history unfolding right in front of me. I was honored to be able to see first hand a 916 being used as it was meant to be used. I must admit that during the drive there was a nagging thought in the back of my mind of the eternal "Infamy" that would follow my name if one of those 40 year old XWX's blew out and I collected the 916. Thanks again, George, for making the MUSR 11 really special and thanks again for lunch!

By the way, Zach, there was enough visibility forward to see on comming traffic when George made the road wider. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 18 2010, 11:24 AM) *

Steve, post more video!!!!!!

Saturday was one of the greatest days of my life. Luck of the draw put me directly behind George (in an Audi A4Q) on the drive to Fontana Village and the Dragon after lunch. All of my prior experience with the 916 was looking through the glass into the "Museum" at Auto Atlanta and here was history unfolding right in front of me. I was honored to be able to see first hand a 916 being used as it was meant to be used. I must admit that during the drive there was a nagging thought in the back of my mind of the eternal "Infamy" that would follow my name if one of those 40 year old XWX's blew out and I collected the 916. Thanks again, George, for making the MUSR 11 really special and thanks again for lunch!

By the way, Zach, there was enough visibility forward to see on comming traffic when George made the road wider. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Thanks for the video and pics.!! Wish we could have been there, as was my original intention, so I am making plans for next year. Would have been great to have seen the 916 etc. So I will have to come up to Atlanta (from S.C.) sometime soon and see it in slow-motion instead!

Phil
bugsy0
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 06:43 AM) *

Zach

I tend to agree - driving style on the street should never be like on the track. Besides, its fun to stay in the lane - makes the curves sharper. I say, straighten the curves on the track, emphasize them on the street.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Oct 18 2010, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 06:43 AM) *

Zach

I tend to agree - driving style on the street should never be like on the track. Besides, its fun to stay in the lane - makes the curves sharper. I say, straighten the curves on the track, emphasize them on the street.

As the lead driver I felt 100% obligated to stay to the right of the yelow lines (except in a couple left hairpins that I could see all the way through well before I got there).
I often approached corners that I couldn't see around and someone was coming the other way.
The Dr. had the benefit of seeing me ahead of him so he knew when there were no vehicular obstructions.
There was never any danger of running into another car.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 18 2010, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 04:43 AM) *

Zach

Aprilhaps you are dry.gif....

please do not watch any of the video we may post as there was habitual line crossing throughout poke.gif poke.gif

Yeah, I thought the driving was perfectly acceptable from the video. On the right corners that were blind, he slowed down and stayed in lane and then only went into the left lane when he could see well ahead. The driving was mostly very smooth and his line was pretty good with no early apexing.
d914
I second and or third the crossing of the lines... The camera may not have the angle but at some point we all did,, however with the capability to look across several corners to see what was coming... Some of us even cut the inside corners and sent gravel flying.. Laws were broken, fun was had and we all came home safe!!

The Doc needs some cudos here for truly DRIVING the the 916.. It was not a trailer queen and it was not on parade.. I ate enough of his smoke to be a good witness...
RFoulds
Racer Chris said, "As the lead driver I felt 100% obligated to stay to the right of the yellow lines "

Bravo Chris. I wish more lead drivers felt that way.
driving.gif
bugsy0
Thanks for posting that video - everybody's an armchair quarterback - you guys were obviously having some fun!
veltror
I am not sure how you guys put up with the draconian traffic laws and stupidly low speed limits, when I lived int he US it was a mission to double the posted limit whenever I could.. 4 way stop whoever thought of that stupid, worhtless, retarded idea... brill viseo use all of your lane and whatever else you need. Nothing else coming no problem....

KELTY360
George must have had big fun driving the 916 as it was intended - well kinda at least. Crossing the doubles seemed to be done safely. C'mon, we've all done it haven't we? Maybe this will inspire George to exercise that beauty a little more, possibly put some updated rubber on for those occasions. driving.gif piratenanner.gif
Brett W
Its not that big a deal. There were plenty of turns were you could see all the way through them. I crossed some doubles in the turns a couple of times. If the car had more than 3hp I would have passed a couple of bikes in those turns also. They were holding me up.
poorsche914
Here is a ~5 min segment about half way down the TN side of the Dragon. You may recognize the large pull off area at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vYG1AkTiU
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 18 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Here is a ~5 min segment about half way down the TN side of the Dragon.

Too slow.

Can I pay you to send me a flash drive with the entire video?
I want to see the parts where I was "misbehaving", especially when George was egging me on. stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2010, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 18 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Here is a ~5 min segment about half way down the TN side of the Dragon.

Too slow.

I want to see the parts where I was "misbehaving", especially when George was egging me on. stirthepot.gif happy11.gif

agree.gif And Chris define warmed over 1.7. Thats seriously vague dry.gif But it looked good beerchug.gif
r_towle
George was being out driven....he was cutting corners just to keep up smile.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2010, 06:20 PM) *
Too slow.

PM me your mailing address and I will burn to DVDs and send your way. There are two source videos each just under 4GB each.
First is from Fontana to part way down the Dragon just past the THREE troopers dry.gif
Second picks up from where the first stops. Both are about 35 minutes long.

Unfortunately, I did not have the camera set up during the trip TO Fontana. That was a good run!!!
hot_shoe914
I personally would like to commend George for "flogging" the 916 and running her the way she deserves to be run. I know he was holding back some due to out dated rubber, but pretty sure he would have hammered the bitch every chance he could if the tires had been better. This was the best thing that has happened to the 916, and George too for that matter, in a very long time. I can easily see him doing more driving and attending many more events, whether in the 916 or not. This one's for you George! beerchug.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif
poorsche914
agree.gif

It was an experience I will NEVER forget. Thanks again, George.
bandjoey
You should have been there to see it. It was a slow and safe drive, per PCA rules. biggrin.gif Besides, George and the car were always in control and whipping up the road everywhere. Also, look at the 1000+ photos on the photo's for sale thread. When most cars are dipping and leaning, the 916 is totally flat on the curves. Great car to do twisties in. biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 18 2010, 06:24 PM) *

... define warmed over 1.7.

Long duration cam (similar to Web 86a), dual valve springs, compression increase, lightened flywheel, 40 Dells, 1 1/2" header, horizontal fan cooling.
Stock valves, unported heads, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons.
Pulls strong to at least 6200 rpm - haven't found redline yet!
The engine was sold to me as a "race engine" a few years ago, along with the Delortos.
There were some things I didn't like about the assembly so I pulled the heads to get a closer look. Its a good thing I did because it was assembled with stock head gaskets. wacko.gif
At that point I decided to put it back together rather than spend time and $$ to rebuild it to my liking. Apart from some leaky pushrod tube seals which I didn't replace while it was apart it's been just fine, and I could use it in a pinch as a backup race engine.
I think the peak output is around 100bhp but I could have easily added another 20hp with some port work, lighter valves, and forged pistons - at the cost of some low end driveability.
AndyB
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 19 2010, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 18 2010, 06:24 PM) *

... define warmed over 1.7.

Long duration cam (similar to Web 86a), dual valve springs, compression increase, lightened flywheel, 40 Dells, 1 1/2" header, horizontal fan cooling.
Stock valves, unported heads, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons.
Pulls strong to at least 6200 rpm - haven't found redline yet!
The engine was sold to me as a "race engine" a few years ago, along with the Delortos.
There were some things I didn't like about the assembly so I pulled the heads to get a closer look. Its a good thing I did because it was assembled with stock head gaskets. wacko.gif
At that point I decided to put it back together rather than spend time and $$ to rebuild it to my liking. Apart from some leaky pushrod tube seals which I didn't replace while it was apart it's been just fine, and I could use it in a pinch as a backup race engine.
I think the peak output is around 100bhp but I could have easily added another 20hp with some port work, lighter valves, and forged pistons - at the cost of some low end driveability.

idea.gif thanks Chris now I need to rethink everything. hissyfit.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 19 2010, 05:22 PM) *

idea.gif thanks Chris now I need to rethink everything. hissyfit.gif

LOL.
Don't be fooled by how easily I seemed to pull away from the 916. There's still no substitute for horsepower.
I was driving very hard in that first clip. We had just gotten around a car that was holding us back big time and I let loose until we encountered more traffic.
That's the kind of carrot George wanted and I was more than happy to oblige. beerchug.gif
poorsche914
Here is an interesting comparison between Racer Chris's car and the 916.
This is the same curve with both cars traveling the same speed. Pictures were taken within moments of each other as we passed by the photographer.

IPB Image

IPB Image

driving.gif
bandjoey
In all the pics the 916 is flat in any turn. Looks like a Sunday drive at sppeeed. driving.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 19 2010, 04:28 PM) *

Here is an interesting comparison between Racer Chris's car and the 916.
This is the same curve with both cars traveling the same speed. Pictures were taken within moments of each other as we passed by the photographer.

IPB Image

IPB Image

driving.gif

w00t.gif w00t.gif
Brett W
Not a fair comparison. the 916 is coming out of the corner and Chris's car is entering or mid corner. The 916 has almost settled back down where the white car has just started to flatten back out.

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 20 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Not a fair comparison. the 916 is coming out of the corner and Chris's car is entering or mid corner. The 916 has almost settled back down where the white car has just started to flatten back out.

Better weight distribution in the 916 as well with 2 people of similar weight as opposed to one person in Chris's car.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 20 2010, 10:24 AM) *

Look at the series of photos on the web site. Throughout the curve, the 916 is flat.
Hot_shoe may have a point with more even weight distribution with two passengers vs one. But would it make that much of a difference? I believe Chris said his 914 has stock sways front and rear. Not sure about springs or what exactly the 916 has.
ChrisFoley
I don't know what George did but at most of those photo locations I would slow down, drive straight into the camera, then turn and accelerate.
I think between my driving style, the fairly soft suspension, and the lack of a passenger, my car definitely leaned more in righthand turns.
Look closely at me in the first turn in the first video. The right side of the car is jacked way up. I was pretty much using everything the car had in that turn.
r_towle
your just being polite.
George has gotten lazy with his ford gt...he can power out of anything with that..

He just plain forgot how to drive a 914 to its limit....or he is getting to old to do it right... smile.gif poke.gif

Rich
AndyB
Chris's eyes say I am having an awesome time look at me driving.gif

George's eyes say when will this ride end????? poke.gif lol-2.gif
gothspeed
Great thread smile.gif!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.