Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me simplify the vaccum lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfaccing
i've been going through the pelican parts diagrams and i can't understand why i have to have that large ugly air cleaner and why i have to route the fan shroud to it and blah blah blah.

again i come from the vw bug world and hell we don't have any of this junk.
now i can understand the distributor vaccum line and the throttle body vaccum line. buy what the hell is all that other stuff?
i want to take the deceleration valve out and the air cleaner off. i pretty much just want a motor that is the bare basics of what i need. i just want injectors and a pod filter ontop of the intake system... is that so hard to do?
silver74insocal
go for it. remove one thing at a time and run the car..lets see how far you can get. take pics and make a thread...be a pioneer dude beerchug.gif
surfaccing
well if my car was already running i would just remove lines and plug stuff up. problems is i bought the car in pieces. so my injectors are being rebuilt, and i wanna get rid of all the un-necessary junk while the motor is out and on a bench. has no one already done this?

damn might just have to have bob johns look at this for me sad.gif thats gonna cost a small fortune :\
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(surfaccing @ Oct 20 2010, 11:13 PM) *

well if my car was already running i would just remove lines and plug stuff up. problems is i bought the car in pieces. so my injectors are being rebuilt, and i wanna get rid of all the un-necessary junk while the motor is out and on a bench. has no one already done this?

damn might just have to have bob johns look at this for me sad.gif thats gonna cost a small fortune :\

The 2.0L D-jet relys heavily upon the vacum lines. Have the wrong one off and it won't start or run. Others will make it scream until you put it back on. This is a task you need to undertake with the motor running, or find someone else who has already done it to guide you in the right direction.

Shoe
JeffBowlsby
Lets see... idea.gif

You need them all!

There is not one you can remove without it affecting something negatively - drivability, MPS life, gas fumes. Not one robs power either. I vote to live with them.

That big airbox with the filter...that will save you motor better than those K&Ns...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 20 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Lets see... idea.gif
You need them all!
There is not one you can remove without it affecting something negatively - drivability, MPS life, gas fumes. Not one robs power either. I vote to live with them.
That big airbox with the filter...that will save you motor better than those K&Ns...

agree.gif

They are there for a reason. All of them. shades.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 20 2010, 11:46 PM) *

go for it. remove one thing at a time and run the car..lets see how far you can get. take pics and make a thread...be a pioneer dude beerchug.gif

You can remove the Decel valve and both lines
You can remove the cold start AAR valve and both lines

Let me back up and make this easy.
There is one you must have. You must have the large vacuum line from the MPS to the intake plenum (not the air cleaner) in place.

All other lines are optional...honestly. (flame on boys...btdt)
I would suggest you leave the distributor advance line in place..
You can remove the distributor retard line and plug that port.

Some of the lines increase drivability, some make it easier to start, some make it easier on the MPS (though I dont see alot of real world evidence)
Some make it more emmissions friendly.

Depending upon where you live...the system may need to be completely setup as original to pass registration testing...
Its a pretty easy system to learn...

I run no decel valve, and no AAR unit...car runs fine.
Rich
surfaccing
i live in san antonio texas, no emissions for me to pass tongue.gif
nor do i care to pass them anyways, plus we don't have a decibel level for our exhaust either and i want to run a stinger exhaust as well

i know u can remove half the stuff. i have good old buddies in the porsche club who did i back in the 70's-80's they just can't remember how to do it cause it was so long ago.

i was hopeing someone on here had done this already
76-914
QUOTE(surfaccing @ Oct 20 2010, 07:53 PM) *

i've been going through the pelican parts diagrams and i can't understand why i have to have that large ugly air cleaner and why i have to route the fan shroud to it and blah blah blah.

again i come from the vw bug world and hell we don't have any of this junk.
now i can understand the distributor vaccum line and the throttle body vaccum line. buy what the hell is all that other stuff?
i want to take the deceleration valve out and the air cleaner off. i pretty much just want a motor that is the bare basics of what i need. i just want injectors and a pod filter ontop of the intake system... is that so hard to do?

I too passed thru the VW, aka Type I world. I remember reading Jake Raby's comments re: the Type I vs. the Type IV and think to myself "What a pompous prick"! Then I bought a 914 w the Type IV. What a difference. Jake was right.
I think that once you get that engine running you will stop worrying about appearance and begin thinking performance!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(surfaccing @ Oct 21 2010, 08:45 AM) *

i live in san antonio texas, no emissions for me to pass tongue.gif
nor do i care to pass them anyways, plus we don't have a decibel level for our exhaust either and i want to run a stinger exhaust as well

i know u can remove half the stuff. i have good old buddies in the porsche club who did i back in the 70's-80's they just can't remember how to do it cause it was so long ago.

i was hopeing someone on here had done this already

You want to eliminate important parts of a carefully designed system because it looks cluttered? You want to put a POS "bird stopper" sock air filter in place of one that actually works extremely well? You want to take the advice of "good old buddies in the porsche club" who think they remember doing this stuff in the "70's-80's" but they can't remember what they did. You sound like someone who spends way too much time reading so called "enthusiast magazines" and cruising the internet, believing what you read because, after all, it's on the web so it must be true. There are a number of real 914 experts here. I suggest you ask them about what you want to do, and listen to their answers.

The Cap'n, feelin' particularly Krusty today.
jasons
I was eagerly awaiting the Cap'ns response on this and he came through in rare form!

Honestly there is stuff you could probably eliminate, but when the djet system is dialed in it works extremely well. If you don't understand why its there, I would focus on learning what does what in the system and why, instead of eliminating things you don't understand. That is kind of the tail wagging the dog after all. Make it operate correctly and you probably won't turn back.

Teach an Indian to fish...
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
markb
QUOTE(jasons @ Oct 21 2010, 11:48 AM) *

I was eagerly awaiting the Cap'ns response on this and he came through in rare form!

agree.gif
silver74insocal

"Teach an Indian to fish... "
kinda what i was getting at but was hoping to get a humorous thread out of it....mission accomplished beerchug.gif
76-914
Yea. Well I was more nicer about it than anyone else.(my grammer is getting gooder and gooder) poke.gif Actually I was just chumming the water to bring the cap't to the surface. av-943.gif lol-2.gif come back surfaccing. it gets better. he ate my ass out the first post, also. he lives for moments such as these. and now that you've made his day he might even help you.
Cupomeat
Funny discourse, thanks!

Just an opinion, but if you play with bundling and routing you can have a good looking motor without all the negatives that removing vacuum lines will result in.

LEAVE THEM ON! first.gif
windforfun
Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 21 2010, 12:14 AM) *

Lets see... idea.gif

You need them all!

Hey Jeff, you have one of these for a '73?
JeffBowlsby
You bet! Courtesy of Dave Darling: Check here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 24 2010, 06:39 PM) *

You bet! Courtesy of Dave Darling: Check here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

Thanks man, now I can make sure everything is in the right place on both the '73 and the '74. pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.