Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTown74
Hi Everyone,

I just got a new set of Dual Weber 40mm and I was told by the company in which I purchased them that Webers do not come in right & left side dual carbs like Dells. Is this correct?

Both of the carbs are identical which seems odd to me. This puts one main throttle shaft/speed control screw facing the front of the car and the other facing the back of the car on the other carb. Which in turn only allows me to hook up the linkage bar to the speed control end of one main throttle shaft and the other has to be hooked up to the back side on the other carb.

All of the photos of dual Webers I've seen online have both speed control screws always facing the front towards the linkage. Is something a miss here or is this the way Webers are just set-up?

Thanks for your help in advance!
914itis
QUOTE(GTown74 @ Oct 20 2010, 11:10 PM) *

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new set of Dual Weber 40mm and I was told by the company in which I purchased them that Webers do not come in right & left side dual carbs like Dells. Is this correct?

Both of the carbs are identical which seems odd to me. This puts one main throttle shaft/speed control screw facing the front of the car and the other facing the back of the car on the other carb. Which in turn only allows me to hook up the linkage bar to the speed control end of one main throttle shaft and the other has to be hooked up to the back side on the other carb.

All of the photos of dual Webers I've seen online have both speed control screws always facing the front towards the linkage. Is something a miss here or is this the way Webers are just set-up?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I have a set on my car and they are interexhangeable. they are exatly the same. I had to switch them to gat a better adjustment of the accelerator cable.
john rogers
The guy was right, there is no right or left Weber as they were probably made for setting inline like the middle of a Ferrari V12 or similar. The attachments on the end of the throttle shafts are swappable to either side of the carb so when you put them onto the manifolds you can see which side the crossbar linkage fits better. If you do that, don't bolt them down solid in case you need to pull them to do some swapping and if you pull the carbs be sure to PLUG the intake ports so nothing falls down inside.
SirAndy
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 20 2010, 09:19 PM) *
The attachments on the end of the throttle shafts are swappable to either side of the carb so when you put them onto the manifolds you can see which side the crossbar linkage fits better.

agree.gif

GTown74
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 21 2010, 01:38 AM) *

QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 20 2010, 09:19 PM) *
The attachments on the end of the throttle shafts are swappable to either side of the carb so when you put them onto the manifolds you can see which side the crossbar linkage fits better.

agree.gif

Thanks for all the help and advice. I started thinking last night (when I should have been asleep) that I could probably swap it around.

Thinks for the great photo as well. Question, do you just have your crossbar linkage toward the back as a preference? I just have mine facing the front and just wondering if I've got it wrong. Did not get a lick of directions with my kit.

Thanks.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(GTown74 @ Oct 21 2010, 10:03 AM) *

Thinks for the great photo as well. Question, do you just have your crossbar linkage toward the back as a preference? I just have mine facing the front and just wondering if I've got it wrong. Did not get a lick of directions with my kit.

You can do it either way. I have done it both ways. I currently have mine set up towards the back, but only because setting it to the front one of the arms contacted my engine tin. When I was using IDF 44s there was no contact. If you can set yours with the bar in front, do so. This makes adjustments WAY easier.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTown74 @ Oct 21 2010, 08:03 AM) *
do you just have your crossbar linkage toward the back as a preference?

Just my personal preference. That way, the pickup point for the throttle cable is close to where it was on the FI so i can route the stock /4 throttle cable the same way as the factory did and i can use the rear tin to anchor the return spring.

It simply seems to make for a cleaner look, IMHO.
beerchug.gif

PS: However, you need to make sure the bar and linkage clears the rear trunk torsion springs! In my case that wasn't a problem as i had already converted the car to gas shocks for the rear trunk.
GTown74
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 21 2010, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(GTown74 @ Oct 21 2010, 08:03 AM) *
do you just have your crossbar linkage toward the back as a preference?

Just my personal preference. That way, the pickup point for the throttle cable is close to where it was on the FI so i can route the stock /4 throttle cable the same way as the factory did and i can use the rear tin to anchor the return spring.

It simply seems to make for a cleaner look, IMHO.
beerchug.gif

PS: However, you need to make sure the bar and linkage clears the rear trunk torsion springs! In my case that wasn't a problem as i had already converted the car to gas shocks for the rear trunk.

Sounds good...I started on the linkage tonight but man was I having trouble getting is adjusted right. After the neck pain got to me, I called it a night. I just could not seem to get the angle correct. I had good instructions with my Dells and they lined up easy...maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.