Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dashboard LED lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Just finishing up a dashboard area restoration with new windshield install. I would like to replace the bulbs for the dash instruments with LED but the eBay store Mark lists for his son Mikey is not coming up in searches. I would rather get this done now then wait for Mark to track down Mikey so here is my question; Has anyone compiled a list of bulbs for the dash lighting? I know with LED's I need some reds and greens as well as cool whites but I haven't tracked down the light numbers or the numbers of each bulb... Anyone?
ClayPerrine
Make sure you leave the standard bulb in the generator light. An LED put in there will cause the Alternator to stop charging.

Found that had been done on Bill's (bandjoey) 914.
Drums66
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 21 2010, 01:44 PM) *

Make sure you leave the standard bulb in the generator light. An LED put in there will cause the Alternator to stop charging.

Found that had been done on Bill's (bandjoey) 914.

thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif He's right about that relationship!!
Als914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 21 2010, 12:36 PM) *

Just finishing up a dashboard area restoration with new windshield install. I would like to replace the bulbs for the dash instruments with LED but the eBay store Mark lists for his son Mikey is not coming up in searches. I would rather get this done now then wait for Mark to track down Mikey so here is my question; Has anyone compiled a list of bulbs for the dash lighting? I know with LED's I need some reds and greens as well as cool whites but I haven't tracked down the light numbers or the numbers of each bulb... Anyone?

If you are interested, check out my vendor site below?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100721
Mike Bellis
Bowlsby has the stock list on his sight. You then search "1157 LED" for example and you will find LEDs for you...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Als914 @ Oct 21 2010, 02:03 PM) *

Al you appear to be modifying the lighting. I simply want to change the bulbs...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 21 2010, 02:16 PM) *

Bowlsby has the stock list on his sight. You then search "1157 LED" for example and you will find LEDs for you...

I can't seem to find the dash bulb list on Jeff's site... sad.gif
underthetire
BA7's,

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...BA9S6_specs.htm
iamchappy
Funny i just took mine out as i found the regular bulbs were much brighter.
I had the led bulbs i got from Qarl, they were Amber.
Als914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 21 2010, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Als914 @ Oct 21 2010, 02:03 PM) *

Al you appear to be modifying the lighting. I simply want to change the bulbs...

I am retofitting the gauges with LED stip lighting. I first went with the BA7 LED bulbs in my dash but for me it didn't offer enough lighting so I fit mine with NATURAL white LED strips which is the same as OEM look just brighter. Not satisfied I then created the multi color set that currently reside in my dash.
underthetire
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 21 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Funny i just took mine out as i found the regular bulbs were much brighter.
I had the led bulbs i got from Qarl, they were Amber.

I bought the white ones. Brighter for sure than stock, not as nice as the strip ones though.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 21 2010, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 21 2010, 02:16 PM) *

I can't seem to find the dash bulb list on Jeff's site... sad.gif

Rob, here you go. My pleasure piratenanner.gif

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_LampIndex.jpg
Mikey914
If you want much brighter you want strip lights, if youwant easy, you want the LED bulbs, there are some brighter incandecent bulbs, but the do generate more heat.

Al Meredith
I just finished converting my 912E gauges to an LED/fiberoptic sustem . The 911/912E of the 70's have terrible lighting , in my opinion. Looks great, not easy though as you have to dissassemble the guages. Check out"www.matthewpthomps@gmail.com" I found him on the "bird board".
StratPlayer
I tried the led bulbs, they didn't seem to help much. Then I followed this thread and I couldn't be happier with how my gauges look at night when I want to see everthing my gauges have to offer.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=StratPlayer
biosurfer1
I swear, everyday I come onto this site, I add 3 things to the list of items I need to address on my 914, and only take 1 off every couple weeks!

Sorry for the hijack:)
76-914
Al won't pull his own chain but I will. He does nice work and lighting ain't all he does w/ gages. I like how he makes the illumination change colors from blue/white to red in the "red zone" area on the tach.
BRAVE_HELIOS
Click to view attachment

I am totally convinced that the way to go is with the LED strips. Much harder do convert, but well worth the effort! Pictured, is my white faced tach with a cool white LED strip. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I tried LED bulbs... I thought they performed worst than the filement bulbs!
bandjoey
I like the LED Blue. Brighter than original on my eyes. The only place weak is the top of the tach and it was (Ithink) Dr Evil that drilled out the top of that gauge and put in another socket for a 3rd Led.
echocanyons
Check these out, they look to be far superior to the led bulbs.

On second read of the thread and a visit to Al's link these may be the same as the strips you mentioned. Al maybe you can chime in?

link

no personal experience though yet...
Als914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 21 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Check these out, they look to be far superior to the led bulbs.

On second read of the thread and a visit to Al's link these may be the same as the strips you mentioned. Al maybe you can chime in?

link

no personal experience though yet...

This is good quality lighting as shown ( in the link ) but I chose the strips that I use because you can intigrate variouse colored lighting where as, the ones depicted can not. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Al
Als914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 21 2010, 08:23 PM) *

I like the LED Blue. Brighter than original on my eyes. The only place weak is the top of the tach and it was (Ithink) Dr Evil that drilled out the top of that gauge and put in another socket for a 3rd Led.

Check out the blue LED's On my vendor site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.