Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I parked on a hill for the first time!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I love my 914 but two things that really bugged and embarrassed me about it was I had no e-brake so I would drive around until I found a flat parking spot and hope leaving the car in gear held it and when I put my Renn-shift on, a couple things got moved a bit in the tunnel and I had a very annoying grinding/squeeking sound when I shifted into 1st. I knew it wasn't doing any damage but it was always there.

I couldn't really tell what was causing the noises in the shifter and I don't usually mess with brakes, I leave those to professionals. So what's the easiest way to fix both of these items?

Step 1: Take 914 to McMark's shop in Sonoma.

Step 2: Go on vacation to the Bahamas

Step 3: Come back, give Mark minimal $$$'s and everything will be fixed!

Seriously though, Mark has gone above and beyond for me more than once with knowledge and, on more than one occasion, emergency storage. I'm lucky to have him so close.

I'm a big advocate on learning how to work on your own car, but when things elevate to the point of needing a professional, I highly recommend Original Customs.

Thanks again Mark! first.gif

p.s. Olav can KMA.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 21 2010, 07:27 PM) *
I had no e-brake

10.5:1 has worked well for me in the last couple of years ... biggrin.gif
jcd914

A couple of blocks of wood or bricks help smile.gif

You can't go wrong sending it to McMark but assuming you still have stock rear brake calipers you can probably fix the parking brake your self.
The system is fairly simple, hand lever pulls on the cables, cables pull on the caliper levers.
Disconnect the cables at the calipers
Make sure the caliper levers operate back and forth without sticking
Adjust the venting clearance on all 4 rear pads.
Adjust the length of both cables so they connect to the caliper levers with no pre load or extra slack

On the shifter I would pull the rear cover off the center tunnel and operate the shift lever while watching the shift rod and see if you can find what it is rubbing against. Move what ever is rubbing out of the way or maybe you need to shift the Renn shift tower a little to one side or the other.

Jim

r_towle
bring it to mark.
the squeak is the shifter rod rubbing againsts the inner tunnel wall or rubbing on the clutch tube. You can get rid of it by adjusting the side to side throw of the shifter, or twisting the rod one single click (it is toothed)
I chased that one after I listened to it long enough.

For the e-brake...just have Mark fix it all.
You will need your rear brakes adjusted, and most likely new or rebuild cables..alot of grease, and some time...most of that will be time, not parts.

I also carry around a little fold up chock block I got in some emergency kit long ago...I open the door, put it on the ground, and then roll up to it...
This way I dont have to get out of the car...but you need to plan when to do it so you have enough room. Also, you need to remember to remove it...that always makes me feel like an ass when I try to move my car and it wont move...then I remember why it wont move.

Rich
Drums66
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 21 2010, 11:29 PM) *

A couple of blocks of wood or bricks help smile.gif

Jim

....Please do until you install 1 poke.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.