Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me get motivated!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rdr
Hi all,

Ok I am determined to kick start a 2 year old restoration. I have met many of you at Hershey and determined to drive my teener there this year. I have the engine / trans out, the rear suspension out, almost all the front suspension out, and the interior out. I have started the typical rust / weld resto as well as have the new pans, etc. I am GOING to do this! It's just getting the time to do it nut I am going to put aside the crazy work schedule.

Here is the question. I have searched the forums already, but found nothing.I need to lift, essentially, the stripped body shell another 2 feet or so in the air to get under it to work on the welds. A rotisserie is not an option, but I do have the ability to put a good support system in place to hold the body that high. I have a 1 ton engine hoist. The kinds that, the further you extend the arm, the less it lifts. It goes from 1 ton to a quarter ton fully extended. I think that I can slide it under and configure it at 1/2 ton or 500lbs. How much does the body shell weigh? I am going to use straps to balance it and have 2 folks to help me.

Thanks to all! I will be reaching out on this thread a lot!

Here is is, arriving home about 18 months ago....
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
I think I remember it being around 350lbs fully stripped.
rdr
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 23 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I think I remember it being around 350lbs fully stripped.

That would be perfect! I don't want to buy the 2 ton hoist as the engine is about 375 as well. This will also make lifting the engine into position easier as well. Going to get the hoist tomorrow and, hopefully, bu tomorrow evening, will have the car another foot or so off the ground.

Have a few more days of welding and then seam sealing before I jump into the body in earnest. Then, while that is all sanded and waiting for paint, redo the engine / trans.

Thanks again!

Rick
beer3.gif
gopack
I seem to remember hearing that it weighs about 650#. That being said, I helped carry Gint's car a few feet, and it was a tough carry for 4 guys. (or was it 6?) damn i'm geting old... Can't rememer anything. BUT 4-6 guys can easilly lift it in the air, and with the lift to take one end it should be really do-able with you and your 2 helpers.
SirAndy
Piece of cake ... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

I'd say it's at least 500lbs, probably more. It took 3 of us to lift the shell onto the trailer.

I think McMark put a bare shell on scales before, but i can't remember the numbers ...

Andyrew
I'd say in the 5-600 range..

I carried 2 halfs into my backyard recently and they were no easy task...
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 23 2010, 05:28 PM) *
I think McMark put a bare shell on scales before, but i can't remember the numbers ...

Found the thread ... popcorn[1].gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=106954

QUOTE(McMark @ May 18 2010, 12:55 PM) *

I just lifted the bare chassis up onto the scales. With NOTHING else on (no doors, no lids, no glass, etc), it's reading 520 lbs. Scales might be off slightly, but I'd say that's a pretty fair measurement.

rdr
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 24 2010, 12:57 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 23 2010, 05:28 PM) *

Found the thread ... popcorn[1].gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=106954

QUOTE(McMark @ May 18 2010, 12:55 PM) *

I just lifted the bare chassis up onto the scales. With NOTHING else on (no doors, no lids, no glass, etc), it's reading 520 lbs. Scales might be off slightly, but I'd say that's a pretty fair measurement.

So with glass and doors we are looking at probably 800-900.....
crash914
buy some beer, get 5 or 6 of us to stop by, done.
mepstein
Probably ~ 700lbs total. A couple teenage boys and your done.
rdr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Probably ~ 700lbs total. A couple teenage boys and your done.

Ha! Yep and I have tons of those! Thanks everyone. I bought the 1 ton today. It is going to work great for lifting the engine back in from the bottom. $89 @ HarborFreight with coupons!
J P Stein
I used to do this every winter with a CSOB foor jack.
Pics taken about 10 years appart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.