Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pressure only holds for 10 seconds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beemie96
I've been working on getting this car road-worthy for a while now - and I was so close!

I had it running but it would overheat, so I dropped the engine and cleaned it off and put it all back together and got it running, but the clutch got stuck... so I rolled it in 5 gear with the clutch engaged and freed it up.

I idled the car for 20 minutes with some ATF to clean out some gunk. All good...

Then - I put the gas tank back in the car and must have crimped the fuel line. I think I burned the pump out because it won't run at all!

So i went and got an aftermarket late model pump (1972 914) - and it worked fine ... I idled the car for 30 minutes again, then went to drive it and ... no dice! The engine would die when I released the clutch in gear.

Now, I can't even get it to idle. the pressure will start in the mid-20s and the car will start , but only run for about 10 seconds. Then it won't start for a while again...

did I burn this pump out somehow too? Maybe ran it without gas in the car?

If it couldn't push the car, I probably had a crappy pump anyway, right?

Since that's the only thing that has changed since it ran...

I'm just hoping maybe I can refurbish one of the two pumps instead of buying another one. Unless someone can sell me one cheap...

Thanks all!

poorsche914
Must be a TN thing... I have a similar problem. Car starts and idles great. Try to rev and it only gets to 2500-3000 rpm. Have to be super easy on the clutch to get the car moving. After it dies, hard to start if at all.
I have no way to check the pressure but today am going to double check the lines from the tank to the pump to be sure no crimps, blockage, etc.
If I end up replacing the pump, I am going with an aftermarket two port.
dlee6204
Clogged fuel filter? Did you change the filter sock in the bottom of the tank? Crimped lines anywhere? I would make sure there are no restrictions before the pump.
beemie96
Yeah, it's a new filter sock. I need to double check that I'm hooked to the right lines... new filter too, but that doesn't mean it isn't clogged.

I'll check to make sure there are no crimps... good thought... thanks.
hot_shoe914
If you are still using the old 3 port fuel pump make sure you have the lines hooked up correctly. I changed mine once and mixed up the lines, it ran, but barely. Once I got the lines back in the correct spot it worked like a dream.

Shoe
beemie96
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 25 2010, 05:36 AM) *

If you are still using the old 3 port fuel pump make sure you have the lines hooked up correctly. I changed mine once and mixed up the lines, it ran, but barely. Once I got the lines back in the correct spot it worked like a dream.

Shoe

Unfortunately, the 3 port pump is burned out or something - if I ran it with the lines crimped, would it burn out so that it won't run at all? I definitely had the lines crimped at one point when I put the tank back in. Now I'm using a two port late model pump.

If I burned the 3 port out - could I take it apart and fix it at all?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.