Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
What is the consensus on type of oil to use in a rebuilt (never run) -6 2.2 motor for the street? Brad Penn 20/50, Synthetic or standard Valvoline 20/50? I know the synthetic does a much better job preserving seals. I dont imagine the car will get more than about five thousand miles of use each year.
SLITS
Not a consensus, but I use Valvoline VR1 20 - 50 and Brad Penn 20-50.

VR1 because it is easy to get. Brad Penn is better.

I also add in a quart or so of Lucas Oil Treatment.

Overkill?
'73-914kid
VR1 is a non-detergent oil. I run a cup of Marvel Mystery oil into the crankcase when I run VR1. Otherwise, run Brad Penn.
Depending on where you go, VR1 may be more expensive than Brad Penn, but you can buy it by the quart rather than the case..
Jake Raby
Here is some additional information. Its written for my engine purchasers but is still applicable. it also brings to light that there are TWO flavors of Brad Penn and one of them couldn't be less effective for your engine.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Oil_Concern.pdf
jaxdream

To Jake Raby

So that's what happened to Kendall , 2 fingers , I used that stuff in the 70's when I got my first car , 63 chevy Impala SS 327 4 spd( factory ) . Look forward to getting some of that Snake Oil piratenanner.gif , as by the time I get my engine going , Brad Penn Racing would be a distant mail order , you being in Jawga will be a whole lot closer.
Thanks for your continued efforts in the air cooled engine field, you will always have my ear , as far as i've read , you talk the talk and walk the walk smilie_pokal.gif .

Jack / Jaxdream
Borderline
I've been using Brad Penn for the last couple years with good results, but my buddy has been pushing Royal Purple XPR That he uses in his T1 motor. Says it's great and worth the BIG $$.

OBTW, Amazon sells both RP and Brad Penn and if you spend enough you get free shipping and here in CA no sales tax!!
realred914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 26 2010, 06:56 AM) *

Here is some additional information. Its written for my engine purchasers but is still applicable. it also brings to light that there are TWO flavors of Brad Penn and one of them couldn't be less effective for your engine.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Oil_Concern.pdf

Hi i tried to open teh jake raby file but it wont open on my computer, what is the differences in the brad penn oils and how does one identify them? i am suing the brad penn "racing oil " right now. 20W-50

more info please or can someone past the info here instead of a weblink????

thanks
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(realred914 @ Oct 26 2010, 11:04 AM) *

Hi i tried to open teh jake raby file but it wont open on my computer, what is the differences in the brad penn oils and how does one identify them? i am suing the brad penn "racing oil " right now. 20W-50
more info please or can someone past the info here instead of a weblink????

Go here, download this:
http://get.adobe.com/reader/

PDF is a world standard for web documents for the past decade or so. You need to be able to open them. And, yes, the software is free.

As to the oil, if the Brad Penn oil is green, you are in the clear. If it is NOT green, you have used the wrong stuff.

Zach
Jake Raby

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 26 2010, 07:23 AM) *

To Jake Raby

So that's what happened to Kendall , 2 fingers , I used that stuff in the 70's when I got my first car , 63 chevy Impala SS 327 4 spd( factory ) . Look forward to getting some of that Snake Oil piratenanner.gif , as by the time I get my engine going , Brad Penn Racing would be a distant mail order , you being in Jawga will be a whole lot closer.
Thanks for your continued efforts in the air cooled engine field, you will always have my ear , as far as i've read , you talk the talk and walk the walk smilie_pokal.gif .

Jack / Jaxdream

Kendall oil was made by American Refining Group, the same company that makes Brad Penn today.

Conoco Phillips bought the name "Kendall" several years ago and made the product generic.

Brad Penn oil is made at the same ARG refinery it always was when branded "Kendall" on Kendall Avenue in Bradford Pennsylvania, hence the name.

but my buddy has been pushing Royal Purple XPR That he uses in his T1 motor. Says it's great and worth the BIG

Where is his data?
I used Royal Purple in my 160K mile engine from day one. Read about that here
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.p...&Itemid=112

BUT that was before Royal Purple wasn't whored out and sold in every Pep Boys and Autozone in the country. This was back in 2000 when I got a case of it from the guy who was renting Royal Purple their warehouse after I bought my 912E from him..

I used it religiously until 18 months ago, but it was always used in that engine. I no longer recommend the product.

The reason why I decided to have an oil formulated was to be in 100% control of every batch of it. I am tired of oils changing continually and no longer being the same, we can tell the differences time and time again. Charles and I started all of the oil testing in 2005, the data we have gathered and the work we have done with Joe Gibbs Racing Oil has resulted in an entire different species of oil. Its so wild and so different no other name fits it except "Snake Oil".

We won't be selling the oil for at least anpother year to anyone except our turn key and kit engine purchasers. I want to gain hundreds of testimonials prior to selling it to "others".

Click to view attachment
Borderline
Hey those look like Scat lube-a-lobe lifters. Cool.
Jake Raby
Looks can be deceiving. When compared side by side the differences are notable.
bcheney
Thanks for the guidance Jake. Sounds like I need to start running this oil in my 176,000 mile 89 911 Targa. It uses about 1 qt every 650 miles or so currently. I have been running Valvoline 20/50 in it for the last 100,000 miles. I should have been using this stuff...
Jake Raby
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 27 2010, 04:15 AM) *

Thanks for the guidance Jake. Sounds like I need to start running this oil in my 176,000 mile 89 911 Targa. It uses about 1 qt every 650 miles or so currently. I have been running Valvoline 20/50 in it for the last 100,000 miles. I should have been using this stuff...

Valvoline didn't drastically change in formulation until around 2004, so you've probably been ok for most of those miles.
bcheney
Well....We bought the car with 76K on it in the summer of 2004...My wife drives it every day....It's been fed Valvoline ever since then. Still makes sense to change to Brad Penn now wouldn't it?
Drums66
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 26 2010, 05:24 AM) *

What is the consensus on type of oil to use in a rebuilt (never run) -6 2.2 motor for the street? Brad Penn 20/50, Synthetic or standard Valvoline 20/50? I know the synthetic does a much better job preserving seals. I dont imagine the car will get more than about five thousand miles of use each year.

...You want to start a war don't you?? poke.gif ........Valvoline 30-40wt
bye1.gif(occasional nip of Marvel Mystery oil.....Burp!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.