Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2l six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Hello all I am putting together the pieces for the install of a 3.2 six in my car.

I have nearly everything sorted out, the thing that I am still unsure of are the fuel lines and filter.

I would like to use SS lines in the tunnel (which size?) and I would like to relocate the fuel pump to the front under the gas tank.

Can you connect the stock carrera fuel pump to general high pressure lines?

It looks like the filter comes after this, what filter should be used?

In the engine bay what is the best solution as far as connections to the engine?
mepstein
I'll need the same info soon. I heard Tangerine Racing will soon be making the SS lines for the tunnel.
SLITS
Carbs or CIS?

Carbs = lo pressure as in 3.5 psi. Plastic lines should be OK.

CIS = high pressure as in 70 psi. No plastic thru body here.

If CIS, you will need the high pressure pump, filter and fuel accumulator setup.

I use 3/8" for supply and 5/16" for return, but I suppose that 5/16" for both would suffice.

Filter ... factory has it after the fuel pump. I have installed one prior to the fuel pump to keep junk outta the pump.

for SS lines .... Rotary'14 (Robert) in LA, Racer Chris in the East, ????
echocanyons
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 26 2010, 07:42 PM) *

Carbs or CIS?

I will use the stock Motoronic injection.
Steve
I used the stock 3.2 fuel filter and strapped it to the engine lid support next to the battery. The factory fuel line from the motor connects directly to it. For the other side of the filter to connect a hose back to the front I bought a Metric Adapter kit from Pegasus Auto Racing. The part number of the kit is 1072 for $42.99. The kit is designed to convert a male metric fitting to a female 1/8-27 NPT brass hose fitting. The hole in the fitting is very small so I drilled it out. It's easy to find a 1/8" brass hose fitting at your local auto suppy to screw into the male metric fitting that goes into the filter. I also installed the stock 3.2 fuel pump in the front trunk like the GT, but most people mount it under the tank using rubber mounts to the steering cross member. Currently I am using braided steel lines for all the connections to the front trunk, but previously i just used standard high pressure rubber fuel injection hose, like you would use for the stock 4 banger inejction. Regarding the other fuel hose from the motor, i just cut the stock 3.2 rubber fuel line metal casing length wise to get it off. Underneath you will find a barbed hose fitting that you can slide a rubber fuel injection hose over.
echocanyons
I plan to use the lines that Rotary '14 makes.

I was thinking that I would use the engine bay lines as well as the tunnel lines.
Steve
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 26 2010, 08:05 PM) *

I plan to use the lines that Rotary '14 makes.

I was thinking that I would use the engine bay lines as well as the tunnel lines.

Those metal lines for the tunnel will work fine. Just use high pressure rubber fuel line to connect them to the filter and motor in the engine compartment. I would also use the correct fuel injection hose clamps.
echocanyons
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Steve, do you have any pictures of your engine bay and filter to engine lines?

Steve
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 26 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Steve, do you have any pictures of your engine bay and filter to engine lines?

I thought I had a picture. I will take another picture tomorrow during the day.
SLITS
My bad ... never got past 3.0L
Steve
Here's some picks, but not much to see. The filter used to be strapped to the engine lid support brace but Otto's added a brace and strapped it to it.
Click to view attachment
Steve
Here's another picture on how I modified the the aircleaner with a Pep boys ricer kit.
Click to view attachment
Steve
Here's a bigger picture of the battery area with the filter.
Click to view attachment
Steve
For more info, search is your friend on this site. Do a search on 3.2 conversion or engine compartments. Tons of detailed information with wiring info, DME mounting, etc. I mounted my DME behind the drivers seat. I didn't want to cut or change the harness, so I cut out the round indentation on the firewall on the right side and routed the harness through it and across the center tunnel behind the center seat. I bought a longer screw that holds the backpad on behind the drivers seat to mount the DME. This single screw holds it into place. Some people put it in the rear trunk, but I was woried about the heat.
echocanyons
Looks Good Steve, thanks for the shots driving.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.