Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value estimate for 964 motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
Guys and Ladies,

What is a fair price for a 1993 3.6l 964 based motor with harness and ECU.

The donor car had 82k miles with many of them being DE track based. I do know (not well) the previous owner, who had an incident at WG. headbang.gif

The engine has good leak down numbers and ran strong before the business with the blue dragon.

I was thinking $5500 but the internet sales numbers are ALL OVER THE BOARD ($4k-$8k) WTF.gif so I thought I'd raise it up here.

I appreciate the input.
JmuRiz
I'd say way more than $5000...I was thinking it'd be in the $8k range.
Cupomeat
Not for anything but 90s 964s with around 100k miles can be had for under $20k, even $15k. That being said, is the engine worth half of the car's value?

It sure might be, just asking. stirthepot.gif
mepstein
Go on Pelican and review past sales. They vary with milage and maintanance records but I've seen 5-10K available.
PeeGreen 914
To rebuild the engine you will be paying WAY more than that. So I would say if the leakdown numbers are okay an 82k mile engine should be had for 5k-7k. I'd offer 5 and see what he says. confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
for $9500 you can have a 2,7 ;-)
mepstein
there's a 2.7 on pelican for 2500 but these engines are like our cars, it's easy to put much more into a rebuild than they are worth on the open market.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 28 2010, 05:57 PM) *

there's a 2.7 on pelican for 2500 but these engines are like our cars, it's easy to put much more into a rebuild than they are worth on the open market.

T'was more a commentary on some of the recent 'for sale' threads.
The widespread availability of 3,2's and 3,6's in this price range is one reason a 2,7 - no matter how nice - is a hard sell in the $10k range...
J P Stein
I'd say you're pretty close....maybe a bit high. If it can't be heard/seen running & driving, it's a core motor. Tough market out there.
PRS914-6
The engine will need a valve job. The guides are a weak spot on the 3.6. I would get a 95 engine. It's worth a little more. You get the last year of OBD1 and the first year of hydraulic lifters.

The engine in question is worth about $6500
ME733
....Unless the engine is in a car and you can see it run, hear it run, check the oil pressure, get it warmed up,listen for "funny noises" with a expert mechanic with you.....Assume it will need to be rebuilt., and pay accordingly...5000.00 is top dollar in my opinion, for a rebuildable core.with everything there.
Cupomeat
Thanks everyone!

I know the previous owner and have some history on the engine,

I'll stick with $5k and if he bites, so be it.

Good info on the 964 valve guides, I have read that before.

Also, I agree with the 95 993 motor, a great motor!!
r_towle
Sorry your friend hit a wall...that sucks.
start at 4500...
There are more than a few for sale right now...and there are always deals out there.
You might be surprised that you can get a 964 for 10-14k right now...especially if its tiptronic.

I would be interested in this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Cay...=item483ca06d7d

rich
r_towle
Eric.
Think hard about going for this instead.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...e-complete.html

rich
EdwardBlume
Isn't there a difference between early 964 and late 964 motors?
Cupomeat
Rob, I am not aware of the change in the 964 motors and the red book doesn't show a difference in US engines. Maybe it has it wrong?

Thanks to you all for your musings and info on this subject.

This motor swap is intended for a 914, NO REALLY, and hopefully a clear course of action comes along soon.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 1 2010, 11:50 PM) *

Eric.

rich

DAMN, that would be a serious motor in a 914...
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 1 2010, 11:50 PM) *

Eric.

rich

This would be one hell of an engine in the 914. Same year as my 911 turbo rated at 282HP. 4 speed tranny has heavier gears to handle the higher HP.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 2 2010, 06:59 AM) *

Isn't there a difference between early 964 and late 964 motors?

Yup. The early ones have HUGE oil leak issues. The later ones aren't as bad. Compression leaks, too, on the early ones ......no head gaskets, dilavar studs.

The Cap'n
EdwardBlume
OK, it was the no head gaskets thing I was trying to remember.... supposedly, the 964 engine problems and the recession could have tanked Porsche for good, but the 993 and Boxster pulled them out...
jcd914
The fix was new cylinders and resurfaceing the heads.

cha ching $$$

The beginging of the Porsche Technical Service Bulletin:

Group 1
Number 9404
Model 6 Cyl.
Part Identifier 1570
February 8, 1994

Subject: Refacing Cylinder Heads with Use of Tool 9526
ATTENTION: Service Manager / Service Technician

This bulletin replaces Technical Bulletin Group 1, Number 9202, Book I, pages 13-16.

Models Affected:
911 Carrera 2/4 Model Years '89 (K), '90 (L) and '91 (M) up to engine number:
62 M06836, M64.01 - Manual Transmission
62 M52757, M64.02 - Tiptronic

Concern:
Oil leakage between cylinder and cylinder head. Oil "leakage" in the case of 911 Carrera 2/4 engines means oil leaking (drops forming) from the cylinder to cylinder head mating area, resulting in oil wetness on the lower area of the cylinder head or on the exhaust heat exchangers. Due to higher operational temperatures of the Carrera 2/4 engines, some blackening (carbonizing) of oil at the lower sealing area is possible. If there is only a small discolored area on the bottom of the cylinder head without wetness, this can be considered normal and no repairs are necessary.

General Information:
When repairing oil leaks from the cylinder to cylinder head sealing area on engines prior to the above engine numbers, all cylinders and pistons should be replaced and all cylinder head sealing surfaces refaced. Cylinder head nuts are reusable.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.