Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine mount modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
It seems almost every engine I've taken out of a 914 had engine brackets that are distorted and have wallowed holes. So I had my local hydro-cut shop make some new brackets that spread the load and will hopefully stop all the distortion. These are made from 1/4" aluminum.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm going put the first set on my 24 hours of LeMons car.

Thanks
Joe
Als914
Great idea Joe!

If you are going to have some made up to sell, let me know I'm interested.

Al
gothspeed
Good idea smile.gif though I would use 3/8 aluminum and big washers on each side of the plate.

One of the reasons the metal ones get bent is the bar catches on a driveway or some other obstruction and/or when someone removed the engine GB combo, they lowered the gearbox end before unbolting the bar.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 28 2010, 04:34 PM) *

Good idea smile.gif though I would use 3/8 aluminum and big washers on each side of the plate.

One of the reasons the metal ones get bent is the bar catches on a driveway or some other obstruction and/or when someone removed the engine GB combo, they lowered the gearbox end before unbolting the bar.

That makes sense. I didn't think about the bar catching on various stuff. Some of the brackets I've taken out look like they are barely holding the engine in the car because they've been distorted so badly.
gothspeed
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Oct 28 2010, 04:46 PM) *

That makes sense. I didn't think about the bar catching on various stuff. Some of the brackets I've taken out look like they are barely holding the engine in the car because they've been distorted so badly.

Your alloy versions do look good and will rightfully distribute the load a lot better in the chassis provision, than the stock ones smile.gif! Though 1/4" is too thin, maybe double stack them?
914Sixer
I do not think the aluminum is up to the job.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 28 2010, 05:37 PM) *

I do not think the aluminum is up to the job.

My thoughts, exactly.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.