Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side decal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
can't find the thread now, but i saw a discussion on applying the side decals. so that the board members can benefit from my experience, i'll related the following. I ended up paying a long time friend and body shop owner to do the application. his name is fred overholt and he runs a body shop called country collision in van buren ohio -- northwest ohio near I-75. he is the best. a true artist and perfectionist. he painted a 73 911S for me years ago and it was outstanding. anyway, he uses a prodouct called "easy on" to apply the decals. i think it performs the same function as the soapy water i saw discussed elsewhere but, according to fred, works much better. it dries to nothing. no residue. that can be hastened with a heat gun. the decals were coated with easy on, applied to the car, squeegied out and cut in the appropriated places.
jfort
another pic. sorry so fuzzy
jfort
final pic
Mark Henry
Smaller pic's please!!!!

I find around 400X600 is the best.
jfort
sorry about the size of the pics. how does one make a pic a certain size?
Joe Bob
I've done a few in my time....it's gotten to the point that I just peel off the backing, have a friend hold one edge while I hold the other.

We then attach each end to the fender arch, gently apply pressure for adhesion.....I check location and height then starting from the middle press for central adhesion and squeegee out towards each fender arch.....peel top sheet off slice at doors and fenders and I'm done....sometimes there is a need to prick small bubbles.

Takes 3 minutes.

BTW...on pic size, most cameras have the manipulation software that comes with the camera. You can adjust brightness, sharpen, fuzz out, and resize.

Most cameras can also be set to take particular sizes before snapping. RTFB.... biggrin.gif

Either way, before posting, reduce the size in your software to 600x450 or 450x600 depending on the orientation of the shot....save it, then post.

BTW2....Are those the ones I sent ya?
Gint
Somebody's been taking photography lessons from Andy (our resident German)!
Rusty
I have very limited experience on the decals... but this is what I did.

1. Clean the area well with wax and grease remover.
2. Use a grease pencil line to guide application. (above or below the intended path of the decal)
3. Go slow putting the decal on, using a rubber scraper I borrowed from the kitchen to smooth out bubbles.
4. Don't stretch the decals... it'll throw everything off.

That's all I know about decals.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Randal
Where do you buy "Easy On"
tdgray
You can get that product and others similar to it at any local autobody supply store.

I highly recommend it makes the job a hundred times easier and gives you better results.

I did all the stripping on my Cobra with it. Big ass wide stripes took a whole bottle of that stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.