Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8" Fuchs on stock-ish body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
I finally bought some tires (Toyo RA1's) for my 15" Fuchs and put them on the car today. The fronts are 7's and the rears are 8's, which is pretty ambitious for a stock fendered car but it's been done before. (For the last several years I have been running 16x7's all around.)

Despite the significant rolling/pulling of the rear fenders, there is still a little rubbing. I will yank on them some more. They will likely be cut-off for flares sometime soon anyway, so it won't hurt anything.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Chris - I saw a 914 where someone tried the same thing and they really messed up the rear quarter of the car. When you tug on the metal too much, it starts pulling on the seams and welds and opens up the gaps slightly - Every action has an opposite and equal reaction.
pete-stevers
that car looks ..super with the 8s
sww914
Try some more rear negative camber if you can get it.
Looks good!
PeeGreen 914
One of our locals has 8's all the way around with doing what you did. I would keep the narrow body and just get the lips out a little more. Maybe add a little more neg camber wink.gif Flares just makes the car more cone prone.
campbellcj
This is just a temporary setup but I just need a teeny bit more clearance. Also I should be able to get a little more negative camber. It is 'only' at -1.5degs or so right now and the car needs a full competition alignment + corner balance again before next season starts up.
jimkelly
OT

on a narrow body 914 with a V8 or suby - there is a ton of room between engine and rear trailing arm - i wonder if anyone widened the swing arm and moved the inner trailing arm mount inward a few inches?

note that longer pivot shafts would be needed and custom axles too.
cary
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Oct 30 2010, 10:24 PM) *

One of our locals has 8's all the way around with doing what you did. I would keep the narrow body and just get the lips out a little more. Maybe add a little more neg camber wink.gif Flares just makes the car more cone prone.

Jon, is that the electrian guy with the silver 6? He parked next to me at Packwood. He had them stretched out and they looked great.
-6 looks great!
cary
I think this is his car with a side view.

Click to view attachment
brant
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 31 2010, 07:11 AM) *

OT

on a narrow body 914 with a V8 or suby - there is a ton of room between engine and rear trailing arm - i wonder if anyone widened the swing arm and moved the inner trailing arm mount inward a few inches?

note that longer pivot shafts would be needed and custom axles too.

but there isn't any room between the inner fender and the inboard side of the wheel/tire. Take a shock loose and compress the swingarm with the tire mounted. On the normal/commonly used rims like cookies or fuchs, you only have about 1/4 to 1/2 of inside clearance usually. So moving the swingarm inward will probably cause the tire to not only hit, but you may not be able to get the chassis off of the jack stands.

brant
Tom
It tends to widen the door gaps a bit. Might want to keep an eye on that. Also pulls away from the bumper.
Tom
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 31 2010, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif

This looks good...
Tom
Ghia Specialties has a different way to make wider wheels/tires fit. I think his name is Kelly?
Tom
jeff
Chris your car just keeps getting better!1 It's rolling art and i'd still love a ride! Give me a jingle if you can find the time ...Jeff 805-368-5857
jeff
Chris your car just keeps getting better!1 It's rolling art and i'd still love a ride! Give me a jingle if you can find the time ...Jeff 805-368-5857
jeff
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 31 2010, 07:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

yes, that's him
sixnotfour
Eric Fry is the autocrosser , my friend John Blonk did this one years ago, The lower door gap got huge, great look though.
sixnotfour
shades.gif
charliew
Also they say it may open up the gap to the trunk lid sides.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(charliew @ Nov 3 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Also they say it may open up the gap to the trunk lid sides.

I am sure it could. You can always do 8" 951's with 23.3mm offset, less than 11mm for the 911 fuchs.
campbellcj
It's hard to tell, but the wheels on the silver car above look like 7's to me...

I am not too worried about gaps or cosmetics as this is a track car. I only need about 3/8" or so more for it to be drivable with the 8's.

However, it is very likely going to get flared fairly soon so I may not even mess with the 8's anymore. Heading towards 9's or 10's hopefully...in the meantime I still have two sets of 16x7's to use, which fit great.
r_towle
I might be interested in buying those wheels if you head in the flared direction.
My car is the same color and you sold me on that look..
my fenders are stretched...and I am ok to pull a bit harder to get that look...

Rich
sixnotfour
It's hard to tell, but the wheels on the silver car above look like 7's to me...

they are 15x8's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.