Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
This car was bought new by a local doctor in '75 and driven to work about 80K. Ran up until it was brought in for a clutch and repair was never done. Car has sat for the last 4 years. Service station is only a couple miles from my house but the car was parked around back and I never saw it until today. I GPS'ed the owners address and he was another 3 miles down the road. Went over to his house and asked about the car. It was supposed to be sold for 1K but deal fell through. I made cash offer, he took it and signed over title. Now just have to figure out how to get a non running car up a steep unpaved hill to my workshop. Then decide if it is worth restoring or parting. PS- I will not be the one restoring so it will probably be in the classifieds soon. Car seems solid but there is obviously rust in all the normal spots. Also looks to be all origional with the fuel injection still on the engine.
mepstein
pic
mepstein
pic
mepstein
pic
RFoulds
WOW! lots of good stuff on it still. Get pics of the hell hole and inside trunks please!
mepstein
pic
mepstein
pic
RFoulds
Well, you gotta pull the trunk mats and carpet outa the way...
German Pile carpet don't rust, but the paper thin sheetmetal underneath...
Ferg
Nice pickup!
mepstein
pic
mepstein
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Nov 5 2010, 04:54 PM) *

There was a puddle of smelly water under the carpet. sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Nov 5 2010, 04:45 PM) *

WOW! lots of good stuff on it still. Get pics of the hell hole and inside trunks please!

Too much engine stuff in the way of the hell hole to see condition.
RFoulds
Haa! Been there. Get some big bath towels, mop it up before you move the car.
Root_Werks
Weird, I've noticed a few local ones around here lately as well. One at a VOA lot for $999 (must be a total rusty bucket), another yellow one at a towing yard in Clearview, another yellow one under some old 18-wheeler box trailer and I think another one we noted somewhere else.

Probably all parts cars. sad.gif
johannes
Nice rims ! ... and red plaid seats !!! are those in nice shape ?
mepstein
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2010, 06:56 PM) *

I will pull off the seat covers and check out the car some more this week end. I only spent 2 minutes looking at the car before I went to sellers house to buy it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 5 2010, 03:47 PM) *

Weird, I've noticed a few local ones around here lately as well. One at a VOA lot for $999 (must be a total rusty bucket), another yellow one at a towing yard in Clearview, another yellow one under some old 18-wheeler box trailer and I think another one we noted somewhere else.

Probably all parts cars. sad.gif

I went by VOA to look at that one today. Already sold and the new owner apparently has it running. No idea about rust but apparently it had no exhaust system.
arkitect
Nice find, at least it looks like it's all there.

Dave
NC_Colfax
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2010, 06:56 PM) *

I am also I fan of the seats
carr914
Plaid is the new Fad biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
SWEET FIND!
mepstein
Now the question is what to do next?
swl
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 7 2010, 07:30 AM) *

Now the question is what to do next?

duhhh!

Put it up on jackstands and spend the next 5 years and $10K restoring her to glory! What else?
mepstein
LOL. I already have a money sucking project going on at Scotty B's. Parting the car would make some money but I sort of hate the idea of tearing apart an 80K, 1 owner car. I will take pics of hell hole and longs and decide from there.
swl
being in range of Scotty B is dangerous to your wallet. His work is just way too nice to resist.
ghuff
Scotty does awesome work at reasonable prices. Best kept secret of 914world for sure.

If I knew my car was going to be this bad I would have started with a rustier car. Oh well.
okieflyr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 5 2010, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Nov 5 2010, 04:54 PM) *

There was a puddle of smelly water under the carpet. sad.gif

Well if it is holding water then the pans are still in good shape!
mepstein
passenger long
mepstein
driver long
mepstein
driver sail panel
mepstein
trunk
mepstein
behind driver seat
mepstein
hell hole
mepstein
seats
mepstein
80K speedo
mepstein
interior
johannes
You may find a lot of rust when looking at the longs, but this car looks worth to save !!!
BigDBass
Man do I love those seats!
mepstein
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 8 2010, 03:22 PM) *

You may find a lot of rust when looking at the longs, but this car looks worth to save !!!

I poked hard with a screwdriver at the longs and the hell hole and the only part i could poke through was the driver side jack plate. Didn't look under the car since the tires had sunk in the mud but everything looked pretty good and a lot better than I expected. I pulled some tar off the floor pan behind the driver seat and it was mostly clean metal except for some surface rust in the channels. Too bad this car was left out over the last 4 years. I imagine it was really nice at one time.
mepstein
Scotty B is getting the wheels so if I keep it, I will use the 2.0 liter Fuchs from my old car. Wonder if the spare is a Pedrini ? - forgot to check.
ELLIOTT
those seats are cool looking
Eric_Shea
Those Pedrini's are worth close to a grand a piece. Don't let him rip you off like that... that kinda loot could go for a lot of metal work! welder.gif

w00t.gif
johannes
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 8 2010, 08:51 PM) *

Those Pedrini's are worth close to a grand a piece.

blink.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 8 2010, 11:51 PM) *

Those Pedrini's are worth close to a grand a piece. Don't let him rip you off like that... that kinda loot could go for a lot of metal work! welder.gif

w00t.gif

They are the super rare limited "S" edition.

So your saying that Scott should be paying me to work on my car? happy11.gif
johannes
Those are not Pedrini but Mahle. I bought a SET OF FOUR for less than 500 $ and Mittelmotor lists them for 80 Euros each ...
;
;
;
Eric_Shea
Those are not Pedrini but Mahle. I bought a SET OF FOUR for less than 500 $ and Mittelmotor lists them for 80 Euros each ...

Quiet! We're trying to get Scott in trouble. huh.gif

So your saying that Scott should be paying me to work on my car?

Precisely! biggrin.gif
mepstein
Look at all the hoses in the engine compartment. I think it's turbocharged.
VaccaRabite
Well.
It CLEARLY needs a new battery tray!

Did the rot get to the long? I think that you scored big time on this car! I love the seats too!

zach
Drums66
QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Nov 8 2010, 08:21 PM) *

those seats are cool looking

I think so too!!(it's a 1.8).....you scored for that price. flag.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 9 2010, 02:05 PM) *

Well.
It CLEARLY needs a new battery tray!

Did the rot get to the long? I think that you scored big time on this car! I love the seats too!

zach

I stuck a long screwdriver down to the hell hole and nothing poked through but I would still be surprised if it was solid.

There's a lot of hoses. NOS? Is that a GT front bumper?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.