Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F.L.A.P.S. - Less useful than ever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
Even a few years ago, I could go to Autozone and they would have basic
studs even metric, in the back. Now unless it's a part number, not.

And, what is the official name of these rubberized clamp things? The ~30 year
old guy behind the counter thought I was crazy.
silver74insocal
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1882/

you just gotta find the size you are looking for but this should help beerchug.gif Dave
bobhasissues
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-routing-clamps/=9lwcs6

Try McMaster Carr, not sure the above is an active link, look up loom clamps.

Regarding the uselessness of a FLAPS counter person, I went to a PepBoys and asked if they had NGK BP5ES spark plugs. The guy's first response was what kind of car are they for?
Dr Evil
Adel clamps.

There is a bolt and nut section in the store. It is small and on little rotating racks typically. You are right about the lack of knowledge the parts monkies have. NAPA is even becoming a losing fight dry.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 6 2010, 10:56 PM) *

Adel clamps.

Yes. Originally an aircraft part, which is why the counter guy didn't know it. Like a lot of useful aircraft parts, race car guys used to use them in part because they are strong and light, but mostly because they [aircraft parts] were available CHEAP due to overruns and salvage in the industry. Not for nothing did the use of braided steel hose start in the literal back yard of Douglas Aircraft and Northrup...

NAPA is even becoming a losing fight

No Actual Parts Available...
They are my last resort.
Some of them do try to help, because after all, they want to sell you stuff, but they are clueless. I was shopping for a new V-belt one day after I'd transplanted a newer engine into an older car, leaving stuff like the power steering pump behind. They had no idea that the belt part number contains the length and width... They did keep asking 'What's it for?' and I kept saying - 'It wouldn't help...'
914Sixer
I was rebuilding some calipers and ask for some brake cylinder paste. They (FLAPS) thought I was crazy.
mskala
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 6 2010, 09:56 PM) *

There is a bolt and nut section in the store. It is small and on little rotating racks typically.

I've used the parts off the racks before. It sucks, though, because even if I figure I'll just make my own stud by cutting the end off a bolt, they never have full threaded bolts mad.gif
mskala
Thanks all. I just hate trying to find something and then mail-ordering a 99 cent
piece.

Which reminds me, I have 48 extra early ball-joint clamp bolts because I couldn't
find the right hardness, bought a box of 50 from somewhere.
Tom
Electrical/electronics parts store should have these and ones similar in plastic. Always refered to them as cable/wire clamps.
Tom
Dr Evil
I get long, odd sized/threaded allthread from Fastenall. See if there is one near you.
geniusanthony
Seems like there is always a Grainger nearby too. The guys there are alot more helpful than say your average parts store worker. And yeah, the "what car is it for" line for standardized parts drives me up the wall.
Spoke
I agree with your assessment of most FLAPS these days. They prescribe to what I call the "spreadsheet mentality" which means they only stock the top 50-80% of what sells a lot.

The little stuff like what you're trying to find is gone from most FLAPS because it is not a high runner. Same is true of big chain home supply stores.

My local ACE hardware store still sells nuts and bolts by the piece and not 5 pieces packaged together for $1.50. They even sell metric sizes too.
jcd914
agree.gif

The ACE hardware by me has by far the best selection of nuts and bolts I have found locally since Metric Supply closed up. It may take me awhile to wade through all the choices and pick the hardware I want.

I am not going comment on the FLAPS since the company I work for is owned by a major FLAPS chain.

Jim
realred914
global metric is good source of metric stuff.

hardwares stores are good source, as are speed shops, some auto store still stock the good stuff, but is is a dying thing, most folks donot do real repair work on there cars anymore, so the auto stores now seem to stock mostly dressup junk, floor matts, blue headlights kits, and them funny smelling pine trees.
Eric_Shea
You can get Adel clamps at Home Depot.

I bought a bag through McMaster that are for the 1/2 OD and are made from stainless and silicone (for higher temps). You can have some if you want...
76-914
Like the Doc said, Adel clamps: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/0400920.php
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 8 2010, 07:57 AM) *

agree.gif My Son (the bike mechanic) used to call them "P" clamps. He knows to
ask for adel clamps now. laugh.gif
underthetire
My ace is great for that stuff as well. As far as FLAPS, the lady thought I was crazy giving her the part number for the NGK plugs, but she found them after I said look on the box blink.gif
dlestep
...in the recent past, I went to most of the automotive parts stores in my area looking for assembly lube and every parts counter dweeb asked, "what is that...?"
Did I fall asleep for a century and wake up in retard land...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.