Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy for 914-6 Oil Tanks, any interest?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ONTHEGRIND
I think I may try a velios just so I can dispersant coat it..
jcd914
If I commit to a Vellios tank how long do I have to scrape the money together?

Quote from your E-Bay ad: "Very rare find here as this one is brand new."

If these are so rare how are you putting together a group buy?
Do you have a secret source?

Thanks for doing this

Jim

ONTHEGRIND
EDIT...

I a may be interested in the vellios if I can get it before xmas.. I would like to test out some dispersant coatings on it...

I want the patrick stuff but it looks like it will be months untill that is ready.. please let me know what the time frame is for getting the vellios.

Thanks
sww914
If I can't bash here can you at least make your ebay pages automatically list questions asked on the page so I can harass you there?
r_towle
What, no bashing....isnt that half the fun?

R
hwgunner
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 8 2010, 09:47 PM) *

If I can't bash here can you at least make your ebay pages automatically list questions asked on the page so I can harass you there?

Fixed it for you Steve. Go over there and check it out. Come back when you have it down!

jonathan
patssle
Bumping this up!
tomeric914
icon_bump.gif

Any movement on this Jonathan? thanks!
hwgunner
OK, I have been kinda quiet because I had a problem that I had to work out on the Vellios oil tanks. When I originally talked to George about the tanks I brought up using the factory oil lines and nothing was said. From this I assumed that using the factory lines would not be a problem. It turns out, though, George started making his tanks so they accepted NPT fitting instead of metric fittings several years ago. this I did not know and, from what I can find, there are no NPT to metric fitting available. I wanted this to be plug and play so I went out and got correct Metric fitting and am having George do this run with them so that oil lines will be a no brainer. If anyone would like the NPT style so you can run AN fittings, NPT to AN is easy to find, let me know and i will get you one of those tanks. if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. The tanks will be ready in about 3 weeks so I will be collecting $$ in a couple weeks. beerchug.gif
C.Plavan
I may be joining the party for an oil tank. I'm in the process of picking up a 914 that I just bought. Making it a 914-6 racecar.
Do both of these tanks have any internal baffleing for use in a race car?
tomeric914
EDIT: Nevermind
kfish914
I also would like the NPT fittings, please smile.gif

thanks
patssle
What's the difference between NPT and AN and what should I use? For a 81 3.0L SC.
hwgunner
QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 29 2010, 07:46 PM) *

What's the difference between NPT and AN and what should I use? For a 81 3.0L SC.

NPT stands for National Pipe Thread and AN is what all the hot rod guys use, Earl's and Russell fitting are common AN fittings. George went to NPT on the tank so that guys could choose the size AN fittings they wanted to run. Some guys might want an AN16 fitting while others might use an AN12 fitting. NPT to AN fitting are easy to get and come in all different sizes. This way George makes just one tank.

Porsche uses metric fittings which are different thread size and pitch than AN fittings and there are no NPT to Metric fittings that i can find. I wanted the tanks to be plug and play for a real 914-6 so that is why I am having George make the tanks with the correct metric thread. If you get the Metric tank you will be able to use stock Porsche oil lines (metric) and a stock on engine oil cooler.

the real decision, in my opinion, comes down to what you are going to do with the on engine oil cooler. No matter what you are going to do you will need to modify your on engine oil cooler (or get one that is modified) or get a real 914-6 on engine oil cooler or use a block off plate and front mounted oil cooler.

If you are going with the front cooler then you will probably want the NPT tank because it will be much easier to make up AN lines to go to the front and back and most front oil coolers and on engien block off plates use AN fittings.

If you are sticking with the on engine oil cooler then you need to decide if you are going to modify the cooler with an AN fitting or a metric fitting. Some say it is easier and cheaper to get the AN fitting. Others want to use original parts and go with the Metric. Neither is better than the other in my opinion, I just happen to have the stuff to do the metric lines and can supply an on engine oil cooler with the metric fittings. If you go AN you will have to decide what size is best for you and have someone modify your cooler and make up your lines.

Now if that is not confusing enough for you call me at 800-321-5432 and we will figure out what is best for you. beerchug.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(C.Plavan @ Dec 29 2010, 05:08 PM) *

I may be joining the party for an oil tank. I'm in the process of picking up a 914 that I just bought. Making it a 914-6 racecar.
Do both of these tanks have any internal baffleing for use in a race car?

I believe the PMS tank has more internal baffling than the Vellios after talking to both George and Jim. If you are doing a serious race car then the PMS is probably better. the PMS tank can also be had with metric or AN fittings.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 29 2010, 07:46 PM) *

NPT are a tapered thread. the size is measured as I.D. NPT is a US standard and not to be confused with BSS (British Standard). You may also see NPT listed as FPT (Female Pipe Thread) and MPT (Male Pipe Thread).

AN is short for Army/Navy. This style was originally designed for the military. It is a straight thread with a 37 degree cone on the end for sealing. You can get both NPT and Metric AN adapters.

Metric threads are not tapered. They require a sealing ring or gasket. They are measured from the outside point of the thread or OD. A common size is 14mmx1.5 This means 14mm outer diameter of the threads and the threads are 1.5mm apart.
tomeric914
Is the Vellios tank set up to accept the factory seal and circlip that seals the tank to the body?

Part numbers are 901-107-281 for the circlip and 901-107-291 for the seal.

If you drive your car in the rain, water will spray in through the hole in the body where the oil filter comes through without this seal.
-JR-
Any updates? it's been half a month since you chimed in.

Thanks!
hwgunner
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 3 2010, 09:53 AM) *

OK here is the list i have so far. Please let me knwo if I need to make any changes to this list. I will update as people chime in. getting close on the Vellios. beerchug.gif

Patrick Oil tank
1. JmuRiz
2. type47

Vellios oil tank
1. -JR-
2. patssle
3. bigkensteele
4. tomeric914
5. ONTHEGRIND
6. kfish914 (NPT)

Filter Console
1. JmuRiz
2. type47

Filler neck with dip
1. JmuRiz
2. type47
3. -JR-
4. tomeric914
5. patssle
6. bigkensteele
7. sixgt

Oil line set (3)
1. JmuRiz
2. mharmon
3. type47
4. sixgt

I will be sending PM's to people very shortly. I will have 4 NPT tanks next week and then some Metrick tanks the following week. I need to start getting payment so I do not end up with a bunch of people backing out and a bunch of tanks on the shelf.At this point I am willing to do the Vellios tanks, the oil line sets and the oil filler necks with the dip sticks. The PMS tank and the filter console will have to wait till I get enough people to do 10 of each (I will buty 1 of each so we really need 9 people).

jonathan
hwgunner
hwgunner
QUOTE(-JR- @ Jan 14 2011, 09:13 AM) *

Any updates? it's been half a month since you chimed in.

Thanks!

I am still trying to get your picture. Beleive it or not the problem is that george does not do digital pictures and therefore is witing to finish a roll and develope it and send me the picture in the mail! No Kidding!

jonathan
hwgunenr
hwgunner
Here are some pics of the Vellios tank. I have asked George to be a little more careful with the outside of the tank and try and make it look a little prettier. the first one I got had some drips form the sealant and had some scuff marks on the outside.
hwgunner
another
hwgunner
another
hwgunner
Here is the Patrick Motorsports
kconway
Is this buy still open? Anymore Vellios tanks available in the GB?

Kev
ONTHEGRIND
I have about a 3/4 gallon of dispersant coating left over if anyone wants to cover up those marks on the tanks..
hwgunner
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 20 2011, 12:23 PM) *

Is this buy still open? Anymore Vellios tanks available in the GB?

Kev

Still open! beerchug.gif
(PM'd you)
hwgunner
OK, George has set me back about 2 weeks. He has just been slow. For that reason i am making a trip to his house this weekend to pick up 5 of the NPT tanks. the Metric tanks should be not far behind.

Jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif
Jeffs9146
Number 2: Need 5 of these sold
Vellios Oil Tank (with filter console) $450.00

I am interested in this! Are we still able to get in on this?

Are we still able to get in on this and does it have the oil filter and dipstick?

hwgunner
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 3 2011, 06:31 PM) *

Are we still able to get in on this and does it have the oil filter and dipstick?

It is still open. The tank has a built in oil filter console but you would need to buy the Filler neck and dipstick. I am selling those too. You will need to choose between NPT and metric fitting for the tank. There is some explanation above. The NPT Tanks are going to ship on Monday and the metric tanks are still a week or 2 out.

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif
kconway
Johnathan,
Does the built in filter console sit proud of the sheetmetal? It would have too right to get a seal? What did I buy, NPT or metric?

Kev
Jeffs9146
How much for the filler neck & dip stick?

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Feb 3 2011, 06:47 PM) *

It is still open. The tank has a built in oil filter console but you would need to buy the Filler neck and dipstick. I am selling those too. You will need to choose between NPT and metric fitting for the tank. There is some explanation above. The NPT Tanks are going to ship on Monday and the metric tanks are still a week or 2 out.

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif

hwgunner
Patrick Motorsports Filler Neck w/ Dipstick $150.00

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 4 2011, 11:12 AM) *

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif

hwgunner
beerchug.gif
tomeric914
We're getting closer! Any expected time frame for completion and shipment Jonathan? I'm 9 weeks from the season's first DE and getting nervous!
hwgunner
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 11 2011, 09:07 PM) *

We're getting closer! Any expected time frame for completion and shipment Jonathan? I'm 9 weeks from the season's first DE and getting nervous!

I have shipped the NPT tanks. George has the metric fittings and taps and, as you can see from the above picture, the tank halves. He is going to be working on them for the next week or so (maybe 2) and then I will go and get the next batch and then ship them.

jonathan beerchug.gif
moparrob
Jonathan,

I may be interested in a Patrick tank. How close are you to getting a group buy on those?

Thanks

Rob
hwgunner
I can npt budge on the quantity of 10 on the Patrick tanks. If you commited we would be at 3. Not close enough for me to sit on the rest.

jonathan beerchug.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Feb 4 2011, 12:28 PM) *

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif

OK, If I am able to get in on this I am ready! $450 (tank) +$150 (filler neck)! Let me know if I can still get one and where to send the money! I am going to guess that the Metric is all that is left!
hwgunner
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 18 2011, 08:34 AM) *

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif

OK, If I am able to get in on this I am ready! $450 (tank) +$150 (filler neck)! Let me know if I can still get one and where to send the money! I am going to guess that the Metric is all that is left!

They are still available. the metric are the next ones to be done. They will be ready in 1-2 weeks. the NPT will be made again after the metrics. Which would you like?

jonathan
Jeffs9146
Metric please! beerchug.gif

Where does the $$ go?

I may need the oil line kit but I wont know until I go through the box of lines I have. Are they going to be available for a while longer?
John
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Feb 18 2011, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 18 2011, 08:34 AM) *

jonathan
hwgunner beerchug.gif

They are still available. the metric are the next ones to be done. They will be ready in 1-2 weeks. the NPT will be made again after the metrics. Which would you like?

jonathan

Can I still get in on this $450 price? I want an NPT threaded tank.

Please PM me details on when and where to send money.

Thank you.
Jeffs9146
I am still waiting for a response to my post and PM!

Jonathan, Any word? Where do I send the $$$$?
Ronald4780
If it is not too late, please include me in the Vellios oil tank with metric fittings and the filler neck with dip. Thanks.
Jeffs9146
Very quiet? confused24.gif

Am I just TSOL on this one? (Totaly Shit Out of Luck) headbang.gif
MikeSpraggi
I am in urgent need of tank. Ready to buy right now. Can I still get in on this?
hwgunner
Sorry for the delays. No one is TSOL on this. I will honor the prices until I can't any more. As for getting a tank urgently, that probably wont happen unless you want the Patrick tank and don't mind paying more than the GB price because I can not get that price unless I buy 10 at a time and i do not have the $$ for that. I will PM each one of you with more information and post a list shortly of where the next set of tanks is going. beerchug.gif
John
Thank you for responding.

I can wait, I just want to know if I can quit looking and get one from you.
Jeffs9146
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif

I am glad to hear all is good! Let me know where to send the money!

Any rough estimate when the Metric's will be done?
BKLA
can I still get in on the following?

GPR Custom 3 piece Cohline 914-6 Oil Line set $250.

I just bought a vellos tank on ebay... I should pay more attention to this place!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.